This site is supported by our readers. We may earn a commission, at no cost to you, if you purchase through links.
Are you looking for the best dog food for your boxer? You’ve come to the right place! Boxers have a unique dietary requirement, and feeding them the wrong type of food can lead to serious health complications.
That’s why it’s so important that you choose a diet that is specifically tailored towards boxers.
In this article, we’ll be exploring 10 of the top-rated options on today’s market along with providing insight into what makes each one special as well as how much to feed your pup or adult dog. We also discuss key nutritional requirements and signs of good quality foods so you know exactly what to look out for when searching for an appropriate meal plan for your four-legged friend.
So let’s get started in helping determine which product is a perfect fit – both nutritionally and economically – for keeping Fido happy and healthy!
Table Of Contents
- Key Takeaways
- 10 Best Dog Foods for Boxers
- 1. Iams Adult Large Breed Chicken Dry Dog Food
- 2. Taste Wild Ancient Prairie Grains Dog Food
- 3. Diamond Naturals Large Breed Adult Dry Dog Food
- 4. Wellness Large Breed Puppy
- 5. CANIDAE Senior Chicken Sweet Potato
- 6. Purina Pro Plan Adult Large Breed Chicken Rice
- 7. Crave High Protein Fish Salmon Dog Food
- 8. Annamaet Dry Dog Food
- 9. Orijen Puppy Large Breed Dog Food
- 10. Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy Chicken
- Boxer Dietary Needs and Nutrition
- How Much to Feed a Boxer Puppy or Dog
- Signs of a Good Dog Food: What to Look For
- Should I Consider a Hip & Joint Supplement?
- Boxers require a balanced diet rich in protein, healthy fats, and essential nutrients to maintain their active lifestyle and muscle mass.
- Feeding schedules for Boxers vary based on their age, with puppies requiring three to four meals a day until they are six months old and transitioning to two meals a day, while adults typically require two meals a day and seniors may benefit from two smaller meals or one larger meal.
- Portion control guidelines for Boxers depend on factors like age, weight, activity level, and the specific dog food chosen, and it is important to follow the recommended serving size on the packaging to maintain a healthy weight.
- Boxers are prone to hip and joint issues, making supplementation with hip and joint supplements like glucosamine, chondroitin, omega-3 fatty acids, and MSM important to support joint health and overall well-being.
10 Best Dog Foods for Boxers
Are you looking for the best dog food for Boxers? Look no further than Iams Adult Large Breed Chicken Dry Dog Food, Taste of the Wild Ancient Prairie Grains Dog Food, Diamond Naturals Large Breed Adult Dry Dog Food, and Wellness Large Breed Puppy.
These premium-sourced foods are designed with Boxer needs in mind and contain all the nutrients your pup needs to stay healthy and active.
1. Iams Adult Large Breed Chicken Dry Dog Food
View On Chewy
If you’re looking for an affordable, delicious way to keep your large breed pup active and healthy, Iams Adult Large Breed Chicken Dry Dog Food is a great choice! It’s formulated with real farm-raised chicken as the first ingredient to provide premium-sourced protein for strong muscles.
Special ingredients help support bone and joint health while tailored fibers and prebiotics promote digestive health. Plus, it contains essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that are all necessary components of a well-balanced diet.
With this 30-pound bag, you can ensure your pup gets everything they need in their meals at home or on the go!
- Dogs enjoy the taste
- Good midline price for large breeds
- Great Pyrenees approved
- Excessive gas reported in some dogs
- Coat issues reported by some users
- Weight gain experienced by some customers
2. Taste Wild Ancient Prairie Grains Dog Food
View On Chewy
You can trust Taste of the Wild Ancient Prairie Grains Dog Food to help keep your boxer’s bones, joints, and muscles strong while supporting their overall well-being. This high-protein formula is made with real bison and venison, combined with ancient grains, for a complete meal.
Featuring vitamins and minerals from real fruits, superfoods, and ancient grains, it provides essential nutrition for adult boxers. Omega fatty acids support healthy skin and coat health, while species-specific probiotics promote good digestion.
It also contains no corn or wheat, which may upset sensitive stomachs in some dogs, as well as artificial flavors or colors that could be unhealthy when consumed over time by pups of any age group.
- Real meat as the #1 ingredient
- High protein content
- Contains vitamins and minerals from real fruits and superfoods
- Some adverse reactions reported (indigestion)
- Not suitable for all dogs (digestive issues)
- Mixed feedback on palatability
3. Diamond Naturals Large Breed Adult Dry Dog Food
View On Chewy
Diamond Naturals Large Breed Adult Dry Dog Food packs a punch with its real cage-free chicken as the primary ingredient, providing an all-inclusive meal that fits the bill for your boxer’s needs. Formulated specifically for large breed dogs, this premium food is enriched with glucosamine and chondroitin to promote joint health.
It also contains omega fatty acids for skin and coat health, as well as superfoods like blueberries and oranges to provide essential vitamins and minerals. The food includes species-specific K9 strain probiotics to support digestion, while prebiotics aid in immune system development.
Customers have praised Diamond Naturals’ quality ingredients, as well as their dog’s improved energy levels after switching over to this kibble diet. Some customers have reported adverse reactions such as indigestion, but there are many positive reviews about the overall benefits of the product.
- Supports dog’s health & coat
- Transitions dogs easily into better nutrition
- Dogs love the taste
- Economical & healthy choice
- Some may experience adverse reactions (itching/vomiting/diarrhea)
- Indigestion experienced by one customer
- Delivery issues reported
- May not suit all breeds
4. Wellness Large Breed Puppy
View On Chewy
Wellness Large Breed Puppy offers a nutritious blend of proteins, grains, vitamins, and minerals to help your pup reach peak performance. It’s made in the USA with globally sourced ingredients that are free from GMOs, meat by-products, and artificial preservatives.
This premium food also contains omega fatty acids (including DHA) for cognitive development, as well as glucosamine and probiotics for digestive health.
Customers have reported positive feedback about the product. Their pups have experienced increased energy levels, improved muscle growth, and enhanced overall health thanks to this food!
But some puppies may not find it appealing or suitable for them. There may be negative reactions such as diarrhea or gas when transitioning from previous foods, so caution is advised.
- Formulated without GMOs, meat by-products, & artificial preservatives
- Contains Omega fatty acids & Probiotics
- Supports teeth & bone strength
- Not suitable/appealing to all dogs
- May cause adverse reactions on transition
5. CANIDAE Senior Chicken Sweet Potato
View On Chewy
CANIDAE Senior Chicken Sweet Potato is a grain-free, senior-specific formula that provides wholesome nutrition to your beloved pup to help them stay healthy and active in their golden years. It is made with nine real food ingredients and contains antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and omega fatty acids from menhaden oil for overall health benefits.
The formula also includes a HealthPLUS blend to support digestion and probiotics to aid immune system health. Customers have praised this premium dry dog food as an ideal choice for the older pup’s diet.
Its small kibble size makes it easier on aging teeth and gums while providing all the nutrients they need.
- Real chicken as the first ingredient
- Grain-free and gluten-free
- Probiotic digestive supplement
- Omega fatty acids and chelated minerals
- Some reports of mold in the product
- Mixed opinions on palatability
- May not be suitable for picky eaters
6. Purina Pro Plan Adult Large Breed Chicken Rice
View On Chewy
Purina Pro Plan Adult Large Breed Chicken Rice is a complete and balanced nutrition formula designed to meet the needs of large breed dogs, featuring real chicken as the first ingredient. This crunchy kibble contains tender shredded pieces for an appealing texture that your pup will love.
It is fortified with guaranteed live probiotics for digestive and immune health, plus glucosamine and EPA to boost joint health and mobility. Customers have reported positive feedback about this food. They found that their large breed puppies grew energetic after consuming it, while some also experienced improved coat shine, stool quality, muscle growth, and brain development, among other benefits.
However, there are downsides too. One customer did complain about coat dullness, but others mentioned problems like crumbling kibble or difficulty transitioning from a raw diet, which may not be suitable for all dogs.
If you’re looking for a premium dog food specially crafted for large breeds, then Purina Pro Plan could be worth trying out!
- Contains real chicken as the first ingredient
- Fortified with guaranteed live probiotics & Glucosamine/EPA for joint health & mobility
- Pleasing texture with hard kibble tender shredded pieces
- Some customers experience adverse reactions such as indigestion or itching
- Food can easily crumble in transit
- Not suitable if transitioning from a raw diet
7. Crave High Protein Fish Salmon Dog Food
View On Chewy
Crave’s High Protein Fish Salmon Dog Food is packed with real fish protein for a delicious, meaty flavor and 34% protein content to help your boxer maintain strong and lean muscles. With pea-based carbohydrates for energy, this grain-free diet contains no chicken byproduct meal, corn, wheat, or soy proteins.
Plus, it’s free from artificial flavors, colorings, or preservatives, making it an ideal choice for health-conscious canine owners.
It also comes in a 22lb bag, so you won’t need to worry about running out anytime soon! The formula has been designed with all breed sizes in mind; small, medium, large – perfect if you have more than one pup at home! The salmon flavor goes down well too, as customers report their dogs love the taste of the food – even cats enjoy this recipe too!
Not only that, but owners have reported improvements on skin issues and weight gain concerns, while others say that there were no stomach problems experienced when using Crave either – win-win all around really!
- Real animal protein (fish) source
- No artificial colors/flavors/preservatives
- Suitable for all breeds
- Grain-Free Formula
- Good customer feedback on Chewy
- Helps support a healthy coat & skin
- Some reports of mold found inside the product
- Reported refusal to eat by some pets
- Chicken meal listed as the second ingredient
8. Annamaet Dry Dog Food
View On Chewy
Annamaet Dry Dog Food is an exceptional option for boxers, packed with protein and omega-3 fatty acids to keep your pup in peak condition! Made in the USA, this high-protein formula contains super premium chicken as well as marine microalgae – a source of essential omega-3 fatty acids.
It’s enriched with vitamins and minerals from chelated minerals to ensure your dog has a healthy immune system. Plus, it’s free from corn, wheat, and soy, so you can be sure they won’t suffer any digestive issues that often come along with these ingredients.
This food is suitable for active dogs, including canine athletes or bully breeds, due to its 26% protein content. Customers generally report positive reviews regarding taste and quality, but some have reported adverse effects after switching their dog’s diet over to Annamaet Dry Dog Food.
- High Protein Content
- Contains Super Premium Chicken & Marine Microalgae (Source Of Omega 3 Fatty Acids)
- Enriched With Vitamins & Minerals From Chelated Minerals For Healthy Immune System
- Free From Corn, Wheat, And Soy
- Suitable For Active Dogs Including Canine Athletes Or Bully Breeds
- Some Reports Of Adverse Effects After Switching Diets
- Slightly Higher Price Point Compared To Other Foods On The Market
9. Orijen Puppy Large Breed Dog Food
View On Chewy
Orijen Puppy Large Breed Dog Food is a high-protein, gluten-free option formulated to meet the special needs of large breed puppies. This premium food features real fish protein as its main ingredient for optimal flavor and nutrition.
It contains up to 90% poultry and fish ingredients with no chicken by-product meal, corn, wheat, or soy added in the mix.
Its formula includes healthy grains from non-GMO crops plus vitamins and minerals for overall health support. Omega fatty acids from menhaden oil are also present in this recipe to provide skin & coat care, while glucosamine helps keep joints strong & flexible.
Plus, it’s made without artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives, so your pup can enjoy every bite! Customers have reported positive results like increased energy levels after transitioning into Orijen’s diet plan.
- High protein content (up to 90%)
- Rich source of Omega Fatty Acids (from menhaden oil)
- Glucosamine supports joint health
- Some customers experienced negative digestion issues such as gas, diarrhea, tummy rumbles, etc.
- Not suitable for all dogs due to higher protein content
10. Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy Chicken
View On Chewy
Treat your large breed pup to Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy Chicken for a delicious and nutritious meal that will keep them healthy and happy! This high-protein, grain-free dry food contains real chicken as the first ingredient, plus DHA for cognitive development, vitamins, and minerals from LifeSource Bits™.
Best of all, it’s free from poultry by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors, or preservatives. This formula has been specially crafted with large breed puppies in mind – providing essential nutrients to support their growing bodies without compromising on taste or quality.
Customers have praised its scent and quality; however, some complaints have arisen regarding mold in the product along with mixed opinions about palatability. If you’re transitioning your pup away from raw food diets, this could be an ideal solution as many customers report successful results using this formula instead.
- High protein content great for muscle growth and development
- Contains DHA and ARA for brain health and renal function
- Free of poultry by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors, and preservatives
- Specially formulated for large breeds – supports nutritional needs without sacrificing flavor
- Successful transition reported when switching pups off raw diet foods
- Some customer reports of mold present in the product
- Mixed reviews on palatability
- Product is being discontinued – transitioning to a new formula
Boxer Dietary Needs and Nutrition
You want the best for your boxer, and that starts with nutrition. Boxers have specific dietary needs due to their higher risk of digestive problems, food allergies, hip dysplasia, or cancer. They need taurine supplementation on top of animal proteins such as chicken or bison for building strong muscles, as well as healthy fats like fish oil in order to stay active and fit.
Avoid adding corn, soybeans, or high-fiber foods into their bowl since they can cause stomach discomfort. Feeding guidelines depend on age. Puppies should be free-fed three meals a day, while adults should get one to two meals plus snacks per day.
When choosing dog food, make sure that it contains whole protein as the first ingredient without unnecessary additives like dyes. Also, consider breed-specific formulas made from quality ingredients produced in the USA, Canada, or Australia.
With a proper diet, you’ll ensure your pup stays happy and healthy!
How Much to Feed a Boxer Puppy or Dog
To properly meet your boxer’s nutritional needs, it’s important to know how much food to feed them based on their age and size.
- Feeding Schedule: Puppies need to be free-fed until they are 8 weeks old. After that, you should gradually transition them to scheduled feedings with 3 meals per day. Adult dogs can have 1-2 meals per day, with snacks as needed. Senior boxers may require fewer calories and may benefit from joint support supplements.
- Portion Control: Follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for your boxer’s weight. Generally, puppies under 18 months old need about 55 calories per pound of bodyweight, while adults over 18 months old need about 40 calories per pound.
Signs of a Good Dog Food: What to Look For
When choosing a dog food for your boxer, look for one with whole protein as the first ingredient and no unnecessary additives like dyes. Check nutritional standards, ingredient quality, and protein sources to ensure you’re getting complete and balanced nutrition tailored to your pup’s needs.
Consider avoiding foods containing by-products, corn, or wheat gluten meal instead of meat proteins, artificial flavors, or colors – all of which can be signs that it is not high-quality dog food.
Look out for digestive health benefits such as probiotics or prebiotics – these will help support healthy digestion in boxers who are more prone to stomach issues than other breeds.
Lastly, make sure there are no fillers listed on the label– they won’t provide any nutritional value but could lead to an upset stomach after eating them!
When selecting a good food option for your pooch, always research brands thoroughly before making a purchase so you know exactly what’s going into their bowl each day!
Should I Consider a Hip & Joint Supplement?
It is important to consider the potential benefits of hip & joint supplements when choosing the best dog food for boxers. There are various types of supplements available, such as glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate, omega-3 fatty acids from fish oil, MSM (methylsulfonylmethane), and other natural ingredients like turmeric.
Such products may help provide your boxer with additional support for their bones and joints.
Potential benefits of supplements
Adding a hip and joint supplement to your boxer’s diet could help them stay active, healthy, and strong. Nutritional enhancements can provide numerous benefits such as reduced risk of developing hip dysplasia, improved immunity against disease, more energy for daily activities, and greater overall health with age.
Dietary additions like supplements are advantageous for boxers due to their dietary needs that require extra care in order to remain healthy. Supplementation is an easy way of providing additional nutrients without taking away from the satisfaction they get from their meals.
With careful consideration regarding quality and dosage, adding a joint supplement can be beneficial when it comes to maintaining good health in your boxer pup or adult dog throughout its lifespan!
Types of hip and joint supplements
If your boxer is getting older, consider adding a hip and joint supplement to their diet. Glucosamine and chondroitin are two popular options that help protect against cartilage breakdown. Omega-3 fatty acids can also help with mobility as well as reduce inflammation in joints.
Other supplements, such as MSM or hyaluronic acid, may provide additional benefits for joint health too! When choosing a supplement, look for one made specifically for large breed dogs like boxers. Always check the label closely to make sure it’s grain-free dog food without unnecessary additives like dyes or fillers.
With the right dietary recommendations from your vet, plus some added support from a quality hip & joint supplement, you can keep your boxer moving strong into old age!
Considerations for choosing a supplement
Choosing a hip and joint supplement for your boxer can be tricky, so make sure to do your research. Consider the nutritional requirements of boxers as well as potential health benefits when selecting one.
Analyze ingredients carefully, looking out for artificial dyes and unnecessary additives that could upset their digestive health. Ensure it’s fortified with vitamins and minerals that meet the breed’s needs, helping prevent common ailments like hip dysplasia or food allergies.
Check feeding guidelines on how much to feed based on age; puppies require more calories while seniors may need less but joint support supplements are beneficial regardless of age group.
Finding the right food for your boxer can be a daunting task, with so many brands and formulas out there. But, taking into account the dietary needs and nutrition of the breed, as well as the signs of good dog food, your search can be made simpler.
Our top 10 picks for the best dog food for boxers offer a variety of options to suit your pup’s needs and preferences. From Iams Adult Large Breed Chicken Dry Dog Food to Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy Chicken, there’s something here for everyone.
With quality ingredients and tailored nutrition, you can be sure to give your boxer the best.