This site is supported by our readers. We may earn a commission, at no cost to you, if you purchase through links.
You want the best for your beloved Shar Pei, and that includes finding them the right dog food! Whether you’re looking to switch up their current diet or just starting out with a puppy, it can be overwhelming trying to decipher which one is best.
To make things easier on you, we’ve compiled this list of top 10 dog foods for Shar Peis. Here we discuss Instinct Raw Beef Dog Food, Royal Canin HP Hydrolyzed Protein Dog Food, Jinx Beef Brown Rice Sweet Potato Dog Food, and more – all tailored specifically towards meeting your pup’s nutritional needs while avoiding any potential allergens they may have.
We’ll also share some tips on how to safely transition from one type of food to another so that both you and your fur baby are happy!
Table Of Contents
- Key Takeaways
- Best Dog Food for Shar Peis: Top 10 Options
- 1. Instinct Raw Beef Dog Food
- 2. Royal Canin HP Hydrolyzed Protein Dog Food
- 3. Jinx Beef Brown Rice Sweet Potato Dog Food
- 4. Blue Buffalo Dog Food
- 5. Hills Science Diet Dog Food
- 6. Orijen Regional Red Dog Food
- 7. Wellness CORE Large Breed Dog Food
- 8. ACANA Puppy Dry Food
- 9. Merrick Small Breed Dog Food
- 10. Royal Canin Medium Skin Care Dog Food
- Why You Should Trust Us
- Choosing the Best Food for Your Shar Pei
- Shar-Pei-Specific Dog Food Qualities to Look For
- How to Switch Shar-Pei Dog Food
- The Facts You Should Know About Feeding Chinese Shar-Peis
- Instinct Raw Beef and Royal Canin HP are recommended for Shar Peis due to their support for skin and digestion.
- Transitioning to a new dog food should be done gradually to prevent any digestive issues.
- The best dog food brands for Shar Peis include Ollie, American Journey, and Merrick.
- When choosing dog food for Shar Pei puppies, it is important to avoid excess calcium to promote joint health.
Best Dog Food for Shar Peis: Top 10 Options
When it comes to finding the best dog food for Shar Peis, there are a variety of options available.
Blue Buffalo Dog Food, Hills Science Diet Dog Food, and Orijen Regional Red Dog food are also great choices.
Wellness CORE Large Breed and ACANA Puppy Dry foods are also highly recommended. They offer a balanced diet for your furry friend.
If you’re looking for specialized formulas tailored towards this breed, Merrick Small Breed and Royal Canin Medium Skin Care are excellent options.
1. Instinct Raw Beef Dog Food
View On Chewy
You can feed your Shar-Pei Instinct Raw Beef Dog Food for a minimally processed, frozen raw meal packed with natural beef and essential vitamins and minerals. This grain-free food is free from fillers, which means it won’t add unnecessary bulk to their diet.
It’s designed to help promote lean muscles, healthy teeth & gums, digestion & energy levels in adult dogs of all breeds.
The bites are cold pressured preserved so that the nutrients remain intact while providing a flavorful taste your pup will love! Plus, the kibble size is perfect for smaller mouths or picky eaters who may have trouble chewing other brands’ larger pieces.
Many pet owners have reported positive results in terms of increased enthusiasm at mealtime as well as improved digestive health and coat condition after switching to this food—even fussy eaters seem drawn to its tasty flavor!
- Protein-packed with 85% meat and organs
- Balanced diet without grain/corn/wheat/soy or artificial colors/preservatives
- Frozen, not cooked; cold pressure processed for nutrition & taste
- Suitable for dogs on raw diets
- Various flavors available (beef, lamb, chicken)
- Digestion issues reported by some pets
- Not suitable for all dog breeds
- May require ample freezer space
- Quality control concerns reported
2. Royal Canin HP Hydrolyzed Protein Dog Food
View On Chewy
With Royal Canin HP Hydrolyzed Protein Dog Food, you can rest assured that your Shar-Pei’s sensitive skin and digestion will be supported with its enriching EPA and DHA fatty acids – all while providing a delicious taste to entice even the pickiest of eaters.
This dry dog food is tailor-made for adult dogs with food sensitivities, as it contains hydrolyzed soy protein—low molecular weight peptides which are easily digestible and help regulate intestinal transit.
Additionally, this 25.3 pound bag supports gastrointestinal health as well as a healthy coat by promoting beneficial digestive flora in your pup’s gut microbiome.
The benefits don’t stop there: users have reported successful alleviation of severe itching plus improved coat conditions in some German Shepherds; others say their pet took to the kibble enthusiastically despite having IBD or being picky eaters; yet more report improved allergies on just two-year-olds!
It is suitable for all breeds from small through large too so everyone can enjoy these benefits regardless of size or breed type!
- Supports gastrointestinal & dermatological health
- Enriched with EPA & DHA fatty acids
- Regulates intestinal transit & digestive flora
- Suitable for all breeds from small through large
- Overpriced product
- Limited choices due to medical issues
- Shipping issues with damaged boxes
3. Jinx Beef Brown Rice Sweet Potato Dog Food
View On Chewy
Jinx Beef Brown Rice Sweet Potato Dog Food is a nutritionally balanced formula made with real beef as the first ingredient and containing whole grains, vegetables, and fruit for optimal health. This premium dog food is free of corn, wheat, soy, or animal by-products to ensure only quality ingredients are being consumed by your pup.
The kibble also features biotin and fish oil to promote skin health and muscle development while giving them all the essential vitamins and minerals needed in their diet.
- Real beef as the first ingredient
- Contains prebiotic fiber for healthy digestion
- Smaller kibble size reduces bloat risk
- Enriched with EPA/DHA fatty acids
- Freeze-dried coating enhances flavor
- No artificial colors or preservatives
- Some customers have had mixed results with puppies having diarrhea
- Can be more expensive than other brands
- May not be suitable for picky eaters
4. Blue Buffalo Dog Food
View On Chewy
Blue Buffalo Dog Food offers essential proteins and carbohydrates for energy, plus vitamins and glucosamine to support healthy bones, joints, skin, and coat. This holistic food is formulated with real meat as the first ingredient, along with whole grains like brown rice.
It also includes garden veggies such as pumpkin or sweet potatoes, and fruits like blueberries for antioxidants.
It also contains LifeSource Bits, which are enriched with antioxidant-rich ingredients to further promote health in adult dogs of all breeds. The quality of the kibble has been praised by pet owners who have seen an increase in their dog’s enthusiasm when eating this brand.
While it may be more expensive than other brands on the market, some customers had mixed results when transitioning their pup – noting some diarrhea issues among picky eaters not enjoying the taste nor texture initially – but overall, most have reported positive experiences using Blue Buffalo Dog Food over time.
- High protein content supports lean muscle mass development
- Contains prebiotics & probiotics for digestive health
- Enriched with omega fatty acids & antioxidants for skin & joint health maintenance
- Some dogs may experience digestive issues during the transition period
- Price is higher than other brands on the market
- Some pups don’t enjoy the taste/texture
5. Hills Science Diet Dog Food
View On Chewy
Feel the difference Hills Science Diet Dog Food makes in your Shar-Pei’s skin and coat health with its natural ingredients, prebiotic fiber, vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. Formulated for adult dogs of all sizes, this dry kibble is crafted to promote optimal digestion while supporting a balanced microbiome.
Rich in omega-6 fatty acid content, it helps nourish dry skin for improved luster and fortifies joints against age-related discomfort. Recent formula changes have caused some issues; however, many pet owners report positive results, such as increased energy levels and improved coat condition, after switching to this food brand.
For picky eaters, they suggest adding boiled or baked chicken to make mealtime more appealing. But that may not be suitable for all pups, especially those with sensitive tummies who are better off sticking with their regular diet, plus occasional treats like fish oil capsules or probiotics powder if needed.
- Natural ingredients & Prebiotic fiber support healthy digestion & Balanced microbiome
- Vitamin E & Omega 6 Fatty Acids help promote Skin health & Lustrous Coat
- Effective solution for Dogs With Sensitive Stomachs
- Some reports of Dogs Experiencing Discomfort & Health Issues due to Formula Change
- Not Suitable For All Pups, Especially Those With Sensitive Tummies
- May Require Additional Toppers Like Boiled Or Baked Chicken
6. Orijen Regional Red Dog Food
View On Chewy
Take your pup’s nutrition to the next level with Orijen Regional Red Dog Food; a premium dry kibble that offers whole-animal nutrition for all life stages, except growing large breeds. With up to 85% fresh or raw animal ingredients, including farm-raised beef, wild boar, lamb, and pork, along with freeze-dried coating for enhanced flavor – this food is sure to please even the pickiest of dogs.
It also contains prebiotic fiber for healthy digestion and EPA & DHA fatty acids for brain development. Plus, it’s free from grains such as corn, wheat, soy, and chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, making it ideal even if your pup has food sensitivities or allergies.
The reviews are mostly positive overall – many owners have reported improved energy levels in their pets after switching them over to this diet, as well as a shinier coat thanks in part due to its natural antioxidant-rich ingredients like fish oil added into every bite! Though some customers did experience mixed results when trying out Orijen Regional Red Dog Food on their puppies – some had diarrhea while others didn’t seem too keen on the taste of it.
- Up to 85% fresh or raw animal ingredients
- Contains prebiotic fiber for healthy digestion
- Freeze-dried coating enhances flavor
- Natural antioxidants support skin health
- Grain-free formulation suitable for sensitive pups
- Some users experienced digestive issues
- Not suitable to feed puppies of larger breeds
- Mixed reviews about taste preference
7. Wellness CORE Large Breed Dog Food
View On Chewy
Try Wellness CORE Large Breed Dog Food for your Shar-Pei to promote lean body mass, muscle tone, and healthy skin and coat. This high-quality adult dog food contains essential proteins for muscle development, carbohydrates for energy, vitamins for strong bones and teeth, as well as glucosamine to help support joint health.
The kibble size is easy on the jaw of larger breeds while being grain-free with no corn or wheat, so it’s suitable even if your pup has sensitivities. It also features LifeSource Bits that are enriched with antioxidants, plus omega fatty acids from fruits and vegetables contribute to a shiny coat.
Customers have seen improved energy levels in their dogs, resulting in more enthusiasm during walks. Some who had picky eaters report that their fur babies enjoy this new meal option! However, there have been mixed reviews about freshness issues or inconsistent coloring, which may be related to storage before purchase.
So, the best practice would be trying out smaller bags first before committing fully to a large bag purchase due to its expensive price point.
- Easy eating kibble size
- Grain-free & gluten-free
- Contains Omega fatty acids
- Enriched with antioxidant ingredients
- Expensive price point
- Some reports of allergic reactions
- Inconsistent quality (freshness)
8. ACANA Puppy Dry Food
View On Chewy
ACANA Puppy Dry Food offers a premium, grain-free option packed with up to 65% high-quality animal ingredients for all puppy breeds. It contains deboned chicken and turkey, fruits, and vegetables like pumpkin, sweet potatoes, and blueberries for strong immune system support.
This food also has a freeze-dried coating to boost flavor, as well as prebiotics and probiotics that aid in digestion health.
To ensure optimal brain development, it is enriched with EPA & DHA fatty acids that help nourish the skin’s natural protective barrier too! Customers report positive results such as increased energy levels from their pups after switching over to ACANA food.
- High-quality animal proteins
- Balanced nutrition from fruits & veggies
- Freeze-dried coating boosts flavor
- Some puppies may experience diarrhea when transitioning onto this diet
- Potential concerns about grain-free diets
- Not very palatable for some pickier eaters
9. Merrick Small Breed Dog Food
View On Chewy
Discover how Merrick Small Breed Dog Food can provide your pup with the essential nutrition they need to stay healthy and active! Formulated for smaller dogs, this dry food contains real deboned chicken as its main ingredient.
It’s enriched with omega fatty acids, glucosamine, and chondroitin to support skin health and joint function. Plus, it’s packed with vitamins and minerals from brown rice, as well as ancient grains like quinoa for easier digestion.
Crafted in Hereford, Texas, then cooked in the USA, this four-pound bag of kibble has no potatoes or peas, so you don’t have to worry about allergies or sensitivities affecting your furry friend’s diet.
However, bear in mind that some owners have reported an increased stool frequency when feeding their dogs only on this product. Also, there are mixed opinions regarding if the kibble size is suitable for 10-20 pound breeds as well – something worth considering before making a purchase decision.
- Contains real deboned chicken as its main ingredient
- Enriched with omega fatty acids, glucosamine, & chondroitin
- Packed with vitamins & minerals from brown rice & ancient grains like quinoa
- No potatoes or peas, so won’t affect dog’s diet if allergic/sensitive
- Specifically formulated for small breed pups, which entices picky eaters
- Can be mixed into homemade meals easily
- Some owners reported increased stool frequency when fed only on the product
- Mixed opinions regarding whether kibble size suits 10–20 lb breeds
10. Royal Canin Medium Skin Care Dog Food
View On Chewy
Royal Canin’s Medium Skin Care Dog Food is a tailored nutrition solution that pampers your pup with omega-3 and -6 fatty acids, including EPA & DHA and GLA, to nourish dry skin and promote a healthy coat.
This specially formulated food for adult medium-size dogs provides essential vitamins for strong bones and teeth, as well as glucosamine for joint health support.
The kibble contains real chicken as the primary ingredient, along with prebiotic fiber to aid in digestion.
Many pet owners have reported positive results, such as increased energy levels, improved coat health, better appetite control, and shinier coats too!
- Contains essential vitamins and minerals
- Rich in omega 3 & 6 fatty acids
- Prebiotic fiber aids digestion
- Some puppies may experience diarrhea/vomiting from this formula
- Price may be higher than other brands
Why You Should Trust Us
You can trust us to provide reliable and unbiased reviews of the top 10 dog food options for Shar-Peis, ensuring that you get only the best nutrition for your pup. We use expert recommendations from veterinarians and certified animal nutritionists, as well as credible sources like user testimonials found online.
Additionally, we take into account breed-specific insights into a Shar-Pei’s dietary requirements when creating our reviews.
For those with dogs who have allergies or sensitivities, we dive deep into ingredient lists to ensure quality ingredients are used in their meals.
Choosing the Best Food for Your Shar Pei
Choosing the right food for your Shar Pei is essential to ensure healthy growth and development. As puppies, they need high-calorie and high-protein foods that are nutrient-dense to help them grow quickly.
As adults, a balanced diet with moderate calories and protein helps maintain lean muscle mass while avoiding the risk of bloat from larger kibble sizes. Senior dogs require lower-calorie, lower-fat diets, plus joint supplements for weight maintenance.
High-Calorie Puppy Food
When it comes to your Shar Pei puppy’s food, you’ll want to look for high-calorie and protein-rich options that will support their growth and bone development. Look for nutrient-dense foods with minerals like calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium, as well as vitamins A and D that can help fuel rapid growth.
You should also consider the size of the breed when selecting food. Smaller kibble sizes are better suited for this breed due to the reduced risk of bloat or choking hazard.
Lastly, consider high-quality ingredients such as whole meats and fruits/vegetables, plus probiotics and omega fatty acids.
Balanced Adult Diets
For adult Shar-Peis, it’s important to provide a balanced diet with moderate calories and protein levels. High-quality ingredients, such as whole meat for protein, fruits, and veggies for vitamins, probiotics for digestive health, plus omega fatty acids, are key in providing optimal nutrition.
Consider hypoallergenic options if your dog has food allergies or grain sensitivities. Joint supplements can also be added to support mobility in senior dogs, while lean muscle maintenance is also essential at this age.
With the right combination of nutrients tailored to their individual needs, you’ll have a happy and healthy Shar-pei!
- Adult nutrition: provide a balanced diet with moderate calories and proteins
- Dietary guidelines: high-quality ingredients like whole meat and fruits/veggies
- Ingredient Quality: look out for fillers and byproducts
- Health Benefits: Probiotics + Omega Fatty Acids = Optimal Nutrition
Senior Food Considerations
As your Shar-Pei ages, their dietary needs may change and require special consideration. Senior nutrition should be low in calories and fat for weight management while still providing enough protein to maintain lean muscle mass.
Joint health is also a priority with senior dogs. Look for foods that contain glucosamine or chondroitin supplements to promote mobility. Vitamins are important too. Make sure the food contains essential minerals such as zinc, magnesium, and iron.
Shar-Pei-Specific Dog Food Qualities to Look For
When looking for the right food for your Shar-Pei, consider qualities like nutrient density and small kibble size—it’s like choosing a superpower to give your pup. High-calorie, high-protein puppy foods are necessary for their growth and bone development, while adult diets should focus on balanced nutrition with moderate calories.
Older dogs may need lower calorie meals with joint supplements to keep them healthy.
When it comes to ingredients, look out for whole meats as the first ingredient, plus fruits and vegetables that provide vitamins. Probiotics aid in digestion, while Omega fatty acids help maintain skin health and joints.
With each Shar Pei having unique dietary needs, consult a veterinarian before making any changes in diet. However, quality brands such as Ollie or American Journey offer good overall options within budget ranges.
How to Switch Shar-Pei Dog Food
Switching your Shar-Pei’s diet can be a daunting task, but with the right plan and food selection, you can ensure they get all the nutrition they need.
- Gradual Introduction: When switching to a new dog food brand or recipe, it’s important to do so gradually over 7-10 days. Slowly introduce more of the new food while reducing portions of their old one. This will help avoid stomach upset from abrupt changes in their diet and make sure that your pup does not reject their food due to a sudden change in taste or texture.
- Choose Nutrient-Dense Foods: Select foods rich in vitamins, minerals, proteins, and healthy fats. This is essential when selecting a suitable dog feed for Shar Peis, as these breeds have unique nutritional needs compared to other dogs due to size and age considerations.
The Facts You Should Know About Feeding Chinese Shar-Peis
Knowing the facts about feeding Chinese Shar-Peis is key to choosing the right diet for your pup. As they grow, their nutritional needs change, and it’s essential to adjust their meal plan accordingly.
Puppies should be fed high-calorie, nutrient-dense food for growth and bone development.
Adult Shar Peis require a balanced diet with moderate calories and protein that promote lean muscle mass while still providing enough energy for daily activities.
Senior dogs will need lower calorie foods along with joint supplements like glucosamine chondroitin sulfate to help maintain healthy weight levels.
Quality ingredients matter too, so opt for minimally processed recipes like Instinct Raw Beef Dog Food featuring whole meat as the first ingredient. Plus, fruits & vegetables rich in vitamins & probiotics for digestive health support, enhanced omega fatty acids for a healthy skin coat, and joints, and a strong immune system overall.
Your Shar-Pei’s diet is important for their health and well-being, and choosing the right food is key. From puppies to seniors, there are special considerations you should make when selecting a food for your Shar-Pei.
Instinct Raw Beef Dog Food, Royal Canin HP Hydrolyzed Protein Dog Food, Jinx Beef Brown Rice Sweet Potato Dog Food, Blue Buffalo Dog Food, Hills Science Diet Dog Food, Orijen Regional Red Dog Food, Wellness CORE Large Breed Dog Food, ACANA Puppy Dry Food, Merrick Small Breed Dog Food, and Royal Canin Medium Skin Care Dog Food are all great options that meet the special dietary needs of your Shar-Pei.
To help your dog stay healthy and happy, be sure to consult your vet for personalized advice and pick the food that works best for your pup.