This site is supported by our readers. We may earn a commission, at no cost to you, if you purchase through links.
Are you looking for the best dog food for your Great Pyrenees? With its thick white fur, large size, and deeply loyal nature, the Great Pyrenees is an awe-inspiring breed. Though majestic in appearance, these gentle giants can be susceptible to bloat, hip dysplasia, and weight gain.
To keep your pup healthy and energized, it’s important to provide them with a diet tailored specifically to their needs.
Table Of Contents
- Key Takeaways
- 10 Best Dog Foods for Great Pyrenees
- 1. Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Chicken Rice Dog Food
- 2. Holistic Select Large Giant Breed Adult Dog Food
- 3. Royal Canin Giant Puppy Food
- 4. Diamond Naturals Large Breed Dog Food
- 5. Solid Gold WolfKing Bison
- 6. Merrick Grain Free Puppy Beef Sweet Potato
- 7. Blue Buffalo Puppy Chicken Dinner
- 8. Orijen Puppy Dry Dog Food
- 9. Stella Chewys Puppy Beef Salmon Dog Food
- 10. Wellness Complete Health Puppy
- Buyer’s Guide: Choosing the Best Dog Foods for Great Pyrenees
- Things to Consider When Choosing the Best Puppy Dog Food for Great Pyrenees
- Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Chicken Rice, Holistic Select Large Giant Breed, Royal Canin Giant Puppy, and Diamond Naturals Large Breed are among the best dog food options for Great Pyrenees.
- Puppies require 26% protein, balanced calcium, and phosphorus in their diet, while adult dogs need 18% protein and joint support.
- Calorie control is important for Great Pyrenees puppies to prevent obesity.
- Grain-free options can be beneficial for Great Pyrenees with allergies.
10 Best Dog Foods for Great Pyrenees
Finding the best dog food for Great Pyrenees can be a challenge. Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Chicken Rice Dog Food, Holistic Select Large Giant Breed Adult Dog Food, Royal Canin Giant Puppy Food, and Diamond Naturals Large Breed Dog Food are all great options that provide complete nutrition tailored to their size and life stage requirements.
1. Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Chicken Rice Dog Food
View On Chewy
If you want to keep your Great Pyrenees strong and healthy, Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Chicken Rice Dog Food is a great choice. It has a high protein formula, natural prebiotic fiber, and joint health support.
This food contains real chicken as the first ingredient, which promotes lean muscle mass growth and development. It is fortified with guaranteed live probiotics for digestive and immune health. Additionally, it has Glucosamine plus EPA to help maintain optimal joint health.
- Dogs love the taste
- High protein content supports muscle growth
- Contains glucosamine plus EPA for improved joint mobility
- Natural prebiotic fibers promote good gut bacteria
- Some dogs experienced dull coat or itchiness after eating
- Kibble can crumble easily during transfers
- Mixed feedback on whether some dogs liked it or not
2. Holistic Select Large Giant Breed Adult Dog Food
View On Chewy
Try Holistic Select’s Large Giant Breed Adult Dog Food for your Great Pyrenees’ digestive health, skin and coat needs, and healthy heart. This premium dog food is made in the USA with global ingredients to provide overall digestive support as well as a healthy heart.
It contains omega-3 fatty acids for beautiful skin and coat health, antioxidants for immunity strength, glucosamine plus probiotics & taurine to maintain a strong cardiovascular system. With its unique kibble size tailored to larger mouths of giant breeds like Great Danes, it can be mixed with raw OC food if desired.
This product has been received positively by many pet owners who have switched from other large breed-specific foods due to improved stool consistency amongst other benefits their pup’s preferences enjoyed.
- Made in the USA with global ingredient sourcing
- Contains Omega 3 fatty acids, which are beneficial for a gorgeous coat
- Supports digestion through prebiotics & probiotics blend
- Specialized mineral blend supports bone & joint development
- Enriched DHA provides brain development
- Mixed feedback on stool consistency
- Some customers reported higher shedding levels than normal
- Some users were disappointed at smaller kibble sizes
3. Royal Canin Giant Puppy Food
View On Chewy
Discover Royal Canin Giant Puppy Food, enriched with DHA for brain development and a specialized mineral blend to support bone and joint health. Formulated specifically for extra-large puppies up to 8 months old, this complete diet also includes prebiotics for digestive balance.
Vitamins E & C provide immune system support while the small kibble size is designed perfectly for larger puppy mouths.
However, it has been criticized by some customers as being too expensive or unreliable in terms of shipping freshness. Initial shipments seemed impressive, but recent deliveries may not be as fresh or high quality.
All in all, Royal Canin Giant Puppy Food provides an excellent source of nutrition with great benefits if you can get your hands on it!
- Enriched with DHA & a specialized mineral blend
- Prebiotics promote digestion & gut health
- Smaller kibble size ideal for large puppies’ mouths
- Expensive compared to other brands
- Mixed reviews about shipping reliability
4. Diamond Naturals Large Breed Dog Food
View On Chewy
Unlock the nutritional power of Diamond Naturals Large Breed Dog Food to fuel your pup’s growth and keep them feeling their best. Crafted in the USA by a family-owned company, this specially formulated food is designed for large breed dogs and contains real pasture-raised lamb protein as its first ingredient.
Omega fatty acids provide essential nutrients to support skin and coat health, while vitamins from superfoods such as blueberries and oranges help round out balanced nutrition that can’t be found elsewhere.
For puppies just starting on solid foods up until adult years, Diamond Naturals Large Breed Dog Food provides complete nutrition tailored specifically towards bigger breeds like Great Pyrenees.
And thanks to being made right here in America, you know it meets strict US standards so you can trust what goes into each bag will be safe for your pup every time they eat it – no matter how picky they might be about their meals otherwise!
- Contains omega fatty acids for skin & coat health
- Formulated specifically for large breed dogs
- High-quality ingredients & delicious variety
- Reports of adverse reactions including balding & vomiting
- Changed formula may affect dog’s health
- Price increase has been a concern
5. Solid Gold WolfKing Bison
View On Chewy
Experience the lean bison flavor and complete nutrition of Solid Gold WolfKing Bison dog food, which is specially designed to support muscle health, digestion, and skin/coat health. This quality product has been trusted for 5 years by pet owners around the world.
However, recently some changes have been made. These changes include a smaller kibble size with added nutrient boost kibble, as well as a reduced bag size but increased price.
Solid Gold WolfKing Bison offers many benefits that can be enjoyed by both you and your pup. Its small kibble size makes it easy on older dogs with hip/leg issues. Additionally, its unique blend of whole grains and superfoods provides balanced nutrition for all breeds of dogs.
It also helps alleviate allergies in pups thanks to its grain-free formula without any artificial colors or preservatives.
Unfortunately, there are some drawbacks that come along with this food too. One of the drawbacks is soft stool issues due to the Nutrient Boost Kibbles being included in the recipe change. Another drawback is dissatisfaction from customers who don’t approve of the increased cost despite decreased weight per bag.
There are also concerns about company acquisition leading to ingredient quality questions lingering among consumers who have used their products since 1998.
- Quality dog food trusted for 5 years
- Smaller kibble suitable for older dogs with hip/leg issues
- Grain-free formula free from artificial colors & preservatives
- Unique blend provides balanced nutrition
- Soft stool problems caused by Nutrient Booster Kibbles
- Cost increase despite fewer pounds per bag
- Mixed reviews between those preferring old versus new recipes
- Questions raised about ingredient quality after recent acquisition
6. Merrick Grain Free Puppy Beef Sweet Potato
View On Chewy
Taste the difference in your pup’s health when you feed them Merrick Grain Free Puppy Beef Sweet Potato! This dry puppy food is made with real deboned beef, sweet potato, whole foods, and produce to provide a balanced nutritional diet for growing puppies.
It contains 55% proteins and healthy fats from 70% animal sources, as well as DHA for brain development and glucosamine and chondroitin for joint health.
The small kibble size fits easily into smaller mouths while containing no artificial colors or preservatives. Customers have praised this product for its natural ingredients, which can help improve coat health, along with its convenient packaging, making it easy to store leftovers without waste.
- High protein content of 55%, sourced from 70% animal sources
- Enriched with omega fatty acids, glucosamine & chondroitin for joint support
- Small kibble size suitable for small puppy mouths
- No artificial colors or preservatives
- Some customers reported an unpleasant smell after switching their pups to this food
- Potential quality issues mentioned by some customers regarding recent bags smelling burnt
- Price may be prohibitively expensive compared to other brands
7. Blue Buffalo Puppy Chicken Dinner
View On Chewy
Indulge your pup with Blue Buffalo Puppy Chicken Dinner, a 12-pack of 12.5-ounce cans packed with real chicken for healthy muscle growth and DHA for brain, eye, and cognitive development. This grain-free recipe is free from by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors, and preservatives, so you can feed it to any breed size without worry.
Serve as a treat or mix in dry food or use as the main entree – whatever suits your pup best! Customers have found this product helpful for tummy troubles during transition periods between milk and solid foods, while others vow that their pups love the flavor!
However, some customers report problems when ordering through Chewy. Auto delivery issues and receiving incorrect brands/sizes are not uncommon complaints, though they seem to be isolated incidents rather than systemic problems.
With its high protein content (55%) plus omega fatty acids, glucosamine, chondroitin, DHA, vitamins, minerals, and more all in one convenient package, Blue Buffalo Puppy Chicken Dinner might just become your puppy’s favorite mealtime option yet!
- Real chicken provides healthy muscle growth
- Contains DHA for brain, eye, & cognitive development
- Free from by-products, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors, & preservatives
- Helpful during the transition period between milk & solids
- Pups love the taste
- Isolated reports of order issues with Chewy’s auto delivery system
- Can lead to wet stool if not portioned correctly
- Some puppies have had severe diarrhea after eating
8. Orijen Puppy Dry Dog Food
View On Chewy
Fuel your Great Pyrenees pup with Orijen Puppy Dry Dog Food, a high-protein formula made up of 90% poultry and fish ingredients for strong muscles. This food has been praised by pet owners for its positive effects on their puppy’s health, thanks to its freeze-dried coating that tantalizes taste buds.
It contains the first five ingredients of fresh or raw chicken, turkey, whole herring, whole mackerel, and salmon, which are all sources of good nutrition that promote healthy growth in puppies. The non-GMO grains add dietary fiber while still providing the energy from carbohydrates that dogs need to stay active during the day.
This grain-free diet also helps support digestive health as well as skin and coat care since it is enriched with omega fatty acids found in fish oils like salmon oil and flaxseed oil.
- High protein content supports muscle development
- Non-GMO grains provide dietary fiber
- Contains omega fatty acids for skin & coat care
- May cause diarrhea in some puppies
- Picky eaters may not enjoy it
- Some concerns about changes after acquisition by Mars Bars
9. Stella Chewys Puppy Beef Salmon Dog Food
View On Chewy
Stella Chewy’s Puppy Beef Salmon Dog Food is packed with 95% cage-free poultry, organs, and safely grounded bone for a complete meal that your pup will love. This all-natural food contains superfoods like chia seeds and New Zealand green mussels to support healthy digestion, teeth, gums, skin, coat, and vitality.
No added hormones or antibiotics, plus no grain fillers or other unnatural ingredients, make this an ideal choice for Great Pyrenees puppies as it provides balanced nutrition without compromising on taste.
- Contains real deboned beef & wild-caught salmon
- Grain-free & gluten-free
- Supports healthy digestion, teeth, gums, skin, coat, & vitality
- Strong fishy smell
- Not suitable for puppies under five months old
- May not be liked by picky eaters
10. Wellness Complete Health Puppy
View On Chewy
Treat your pup to the nutrition they need for their growing body with Wellness Complete Health Puppy. This GMO-free, grain-inclusive diet is made with premium proteins, wholesome grains, omega fatty acids, essential vitamins, and minerals from superfoods like blueberries and oranges.
Additionally, it contains species-specific K9 strain proprietary probiotics that support digestive health, as well as antioxidants that help boost immunity.
However, some users have reported issues such as diarrhea, soft stool, vomiting, and refusal to eat this food due to its taste, texture, shape, size, etc. Others mentioned positive effects on skin, coat, vitality, digestion, teeth, gums, etc.
A few found the kibble size too large for smaller breeds, while others observed improved palatability in picky eaters after transitioning them slowly onto this food.
- Made in USA with globally sourced ingredients
- Contains species-specific K9 strain proprietary probiotics
- Free of corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors & colors
- Mixed reviews regarding palatability & effect on the digestive system
- Some users reported adverse reactions
Buyer’s Guide: Choosing the Best Dog Foods for Great Pyrenees
When selecting the best dog food for your Great Pyrenees, it is crucial to consider their unique nutritional requirements. Puppies require higher levels of calcium and phosphorus to support bone growth, while adult dogs should be provided with a diet that prevents weight gain due to their large size.
Furthermore, health issues such as hip dysplasia or skin allergies can also impact your choice of dog food. Keeping all these factors in mind, let us explore some of the top-rated foods available for this majestic breed.
Nutritional needs for puppies
To keep your Great Pyrenees pup healthy and strong, it’s important to understand their nutritional needs for each life stage. Puppy diet essentials include high-quality proteins from real meat sources, essential fatty acids for skin and coat health, and glucosamine and chondroitin complexes for joint support.
During the growth phase, nutrition should focus on balanced calcium and phosphorus content, along with adequate protein levels of at least 26%. Puppy food selection is key. Avoid fillers such as corn or wheat when choosing a brand.
Opt for nutrient-rich options like fresh meats over processed meals, as this can make a difference in long-term health outcomes.
Obtaining veterinarian recommendations before selecting puppy foods is also important. This ensures that proper nutrition intake, according to breed size requirements and age range guidelines, is met throughout the development stages.
Preventing weight gain
Monitor your pup’s weight and limit calories to prevent excessive growth in Great Pyrenees. For optimal health, practice portion control, ensure regular exercise routines, and follow dietary guidelines for adult dogs.
Common health concerns such as hip dysplasia or bloat can be prevented with the right nutrient needs; obesity is a serious issue that should be avoided at all costs. Make sure you are feeding them the best dog food for Great Pyrenees that meets their nutritional requirements based on age and activity level while avoiding overfeeding certain nutrients like calcium to avoid orthopedic issues later in life.
Addressing health concerns
Address any health concerns with your pup by consulting a vet and providing nutrient-dense, balanced meals tailored to their individual needs.
To prevent bloating in Great Pyrenees, feed smaller portions throughout the day and opt for foods that are rich in nutrients. Consider grain-free options if skin allergies or digestive issues arise – make sure they contain adequate taurine levels as certain grains can cause deficiencies.
Puppy nutrition is important too; choose kibble based on breed size with an appropriate balance of calcium, phosphorus, fat content for bone growth plus 26% protein to support muscle development. Transition gradually from puppy food to adult dog food between 9 and 12 months old depending on breed size – this should have 18% protein but lower fat content than puppy formulas.
Senior dogs need fewer calories & carbs while also receiving additional joint care via glucosamine & chondroitin supplements within their diet – look out for fatty acids that promote coat/skin health too!
Things to Consider When Choosing the Best Puppy Dog Food for Great Pyrenees
Choosing the best puppy dog food for Great Pyrenees is essential due to their high nutritional needs for growth. As large breeds, they require kibble with balanced calcium, phosphorus, vitamin D, and fat content to support bone growth, as well as protein levels of at least 26% for muscle development.
Nutritional needs for growth:
Feed your puppy a diet rich in proteins, calcium, phosphorus, vitamin D, and fatty acids to ensure healthy growth. For Great Pyrenees puppies, look for high-quality kibble with a balanced calcium and phosphorus level.
Aim for a 26% protein content to promote muscle development. Make sure real meat is the first ingredient and avoid fillers like corn, wheat, or soy. Opt for human-grade ingredients for better quality. Choose a food formulated specifically for puppies to meet their nutritional needs.
Avoid overfeeding certain nutrients that can cause issues in puppies. If needed, consult a vet and consider fresh dog food subscriptions like Ollie or dry kibble mix with enhanced protein and DHA from Honest Kitchen.
Puppy food considerations:
When choosing the right food for your Great Pyrenees puppy, make sure to look out for a balanced nutritional profile with real meat as the first ingredient and no fillers like corn, wheat, or soy.
Puppies need kibble higher in calcium and phosphorus than adult dog foods; protein should be at least 26%. Transition puppies from 9-12 months depending on breed size; avoid overfeeding certain nutrients like calcium which can cause issues.
Consider convenience of different types of food: dry kibble is easy but fresh meals tailored to pup’s needs are best!
Transition to adult food
Once your Great Pyrenees puppy has reached 9 to 12 months old, it’s time to transition them from puppy food to adult dog food.
A large breed dog like the Pyrenees has unique needs when it comes to nutrition and weight management. Choosing the right food for their adult diet transition is essential for their overall health.
Look for a high-quality kibble that contains 18% protein and lower fat content than most puppy foods. It should also include Omega fatty acids, glucosamine, species-specific probiotics, and superfoods that offer additional support with skin & coat health or joint care.
This is especially important in senior Pyrenees who require calorie reduction at age 7+.
The ideal choice should provide balanced nutrition tailored specifically towards this majestic breed!
Are you looking for the best dog food for your Great Pyrenees? There are a variety of options available, but the top dog food for this breed includes Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Chicken Rice Dog Food, Holistic Select Large Giant Breed Adult Dog Food, Royal Canin Giant Puppy Food, and Diamond Naturals Large Breed Dog Food.
Each of these dog foods is designed to meet the nutritional needs of Great Pyrenees while providing essential vitamins, minerals, and other beneficial ingredients that can help support their overall health and well-being.
Whether you’re looking for a puppy food or an adult food, these top 10 picks will ensure your Great Pyrenees is getting the nourishment they need.