This site is supported by our readers. We may earn a commission, at no cost to you, if you purchase through links.
Surprise! You’ve stumbled upon the best dog food for Scottish Terriers 2023. As a pet parent, you already know how important it is to feed your pup high-quality nutrition. But did you know that different breeds have individual nutritional needs? It’s true; each breed has its own requirements when it comes to diet and health, and Scottish terriers are no exception.
That’s why we’re here; to help make sure your Scottie gets all of the essential nutrients they need in order to live their best life – starting with their favorite dish: dog food! Read on as we dive into our top nine picks for the best dog foods specifically designed with Scottish terrier health in mind.
Table Of Contents
- Key Takeaways
- 9 Best Dog Foods for Scottish Terriers
- 1. Blue Buffalo Small Breed Adult
- 2. Wellness CORE Puppy Dry Dog Food
- 3. Natural Balance Salmon Sweet Potato
- 4. Purina Pro Plan Adult Salmon Rice Dry Dog Food
- 5. Victor Select Yukon River Dog Food
- 6. Taste Wild Appalachian Valley Small Breed Dog Food
- 7. Nutro Ultra Adult Dog Food
- 8. Nulo Freestyle Salmon Peas Dog Food
- 9. Solid Gold Duck Egg Pea Dog Food
- Why Choosing the Right Food is Important
- How Much Food Should I Feed My Scottish Terrier?
- How Often Should I Feed My Scottish Terrier?
- Which Food is Better, Wet or Dry?
- Compare Our Recommended Dog Foods
- Blue Buffalo Small Breed Adult with deboned chicken is a top choice for Scottish Terriers due to its high-quality ingredients.
- Dental care and oral health are important considerations for Scottish Terriers, and choosing a dog food that supports dental health is beneficial.
- Supporting joint and bone health with ingredients like glucosamine and omega-3 fatty acids is crucial for Scottish Terriers.
- When choosing the best dog food for Scottish Terriers, it is important to consider breed-specific nutrition and the specific needs of the breed.
9 Best Dog Foods for Scottish Terriers
Looking for the best dog food for your Scottish Terrier? Consider Blue Buffalo Small Breed Adult, Wellness CORE Puppy Dry Dog Food, Natural Balance Salmon Sweet Potato, Purina Pro Plan Adult Salmon Rice Dry Dog Food, Victor Select Yukon River Dog Food, Taste of the Wild Appalachian Valley Small Breed Dog Food, Nutro Ultra Adult Dog Food, Nulo Freestyle Salmon Peas Dog Food.
These are all high-quality options that provide balanced nutrition and meet the unique needs of this breed.
1. Blue Buffalo Small Breed Adult
View On Chewy
For adult Scottish Terriers, Blue Buffalo Small Breed Adult provides essential nutrition with deboned chicken and whole grains for a balanced diet to keep them healthy and happy. The formula features omega 3 and 6 fatty acids for skin coat health, as well as glucosamine for joint health.
It contains no corn, wheat, soy, or chicken by-product meals, which helps reduce the risk of food sensitivities in some dogs.
The small kibble size makes it easy to chew while also providing tartar removal benefits due to its shape. However, not all smaller breeds may find this suitable depending on how they eat their food! Some customers have reported mixed experiences when transitioning onto this product.
Some dogs love it, while others are more hesitant about the taste or texture if they’re used to wet foods instead of dry ones.
That said, customer service has been praised, along with pricing being reasonable compared to other brands available on the market today. However, one customer did receive an incorrect quantity in their order but chose not to return it after speaking directly with support staff at Blue Buffalo company itself.
- Essential nutrition provided through deboned chicken & whole grains
- Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids help promote healthy skin/coat
- Glucosamine assists joint health
- No corn, wheat, soy, nor poultry by-products
- Contains natural preservatives
- Suitable kibble size for extra small & small breed adults
- Mixed reviews regarding transitioning onto a new brand
- Not all smaller breeds will find the kibbles suitable
- Customer service quality praised but received incorrect quantity
2. Wellness CORE Puppy Dry Dog Food
View On Chewy
Your pup will love Wellness CORE Puppy Dry Dog Food, a grain-free, protein-packed meal made with real chicken and turkey plus Omega fatty acids for an extra burst of goodness! This food is specially formulated to meet the nutritional needs of puppies from all breeds.
It features small kibble size that’s easy to chew and is fortified with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and probiotics.
Rich in amino acids such as glucosamine, it helps support joint health while omega-3s help promote skin & coat health. The limited ingredients make this food suitable even for dogs with sensitive stomachs or allergies.
Wellness CORE Puppy Dry Dog Food has received positive feedback from customers who have noticed improved fur texture & shine on their pups after switching them over to this brand! Many also appreciate the fast delivery service provided by Chewy when ordering online.
However, some puppies experienced digestive issues like explosive diarrhea, which could be due to individual sensitivities.
- Protein-packed meal made with real chicken & turkey
- Fortified with vitamins/minerals/antioxidants/probiotics
- Grain-free formula suitable even for allergies or sensitive stomachs
- Fast delivery service through Chewy
- Digestive issues reported by some pups
- More expensive compared to other brands
- Picky eaters may require additional enticement
3. Natural Balance Salmon Sweet Potato
View On Chewy
Natural Balance Salmon Sweet Potato offers limited-ingredient kibble with real salmon and sweet potatoes, perfect for those with sensitive stomachs or allergies. This food contains essential nutrients to support a healthy immune system, plus vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and omega fatty acids for skin and coat health.
It also features probiotics to aid digestion in dogs of all breeds at any life stage.
Customers generally report positive experiences such as improved fur quality after transitioning their pup onto this diet. However, there are mixed reviews regarding palatability. Some dogs may not prefer the taste, even if they have no prior issues consuming other foods, due to its strong fish flavor profile from the natural salmon content.
Additionally, there have been reports of looser stools since switching over after recipe changes were made. It is worth noting that some users switched because their dog had an allergy towards chicken, which was found beneficial on the Natural Balance Salmon Sweet Potato diet instead.
- Limited ingredient kibble with real salmon & sweet potato
- Contains essential nutrients, vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and omega fats for skin & coat health
- Probiotics aiding digestion suitable for all breeds at any life stage
- Strong fish flavor profile might not be preferred by picky eaters
- Loose stools reported since recent recipe change
- Not suitable if your dog has an allergy towards chicken
4. Purina Pro Plan Adult Salmon Rice Dry Dog Food
View On Chewy
Purina Pro Plan Adult Salmon Rice Dry Dog Food is packed with protein, omega fatty acids, and prebiotics, so you can trust your furry friend will be nourished at every meal. This food contains fish oil rich in Omega-3 fatty acids to support joint health, as well as sunflower oil with Omega-6 for skin and coat health.
Added antioxidants help boost the immune system, while oatmeal provides easily digestible fuel for dogs of all breeds.
Natural prebiotic fiber ensures a healthy gut microbiome and balanced intestinal bacteria – essential components of overall wellness in Scottish Terriers!
- Real salmon as the primary ingredient
- No artificial colors or flavors
- Rich in omega-3 fatty acids for joint health
- Sunflower oil with omega-6 Fatty Acids For Skin And Coat Health
- Recent formula change causing diarrhea, vomiting, and skin issues
- Mixed reviews from customers
5. Victor Select Yukon River Dog Food
View On Chewy
Victor Select Yukon River Dog Food is specially formulated with real fish, vitamins, minerals, and essential fatty acids to support your Scottie’s unique needs. It contains selenium yeast for immune system health and pre- and probiotics, which help maintain healthy digestion.
The VPRO Blend helps promote superior digestibility, while the blend of amino acids provides lean muscle mass and heart health benefits.
- Contains real fish as the primary protein source
- Includes vitamins, minerals, and omega fatty acids
- Suitable for all breeds and life stages
- Grain-free and gluten-free
- No Corn Wheat Soy Protein added
- Some mixed reviews about flavor preferences among dogs
- Contains peas/legumes, which may be a concern to some dog owners
- Recent price increase noted by customers
6. Taste Wild Appalachian Valley Small Breed Dog Food
View On Chewy
Taste Wild’s Appalachian Valley Small Breed Dog Food offers real pasture-raised venison as its star ingredient, plus an array of vitamins, minerals, and omega fatty acids to keep your Scottie in tip-top shape.
This grain-free food is packed with 20 superfoods for complete nutrition and species-specific K9 Strain Proprietary Probiotics for healthy digestion.
The smaller kibble size makes it easier to eat, even for picky eaters or those with sensitive teeth. Customers have praised the variety of meats available, which can help dogs who suffer from allergies or other dietary restrictions.
The small morsel size has made transitioning reluctant pups much easier, according to some reviews, while others noted a difference in energy levels after just a few weeks on the new diet – one customer had been using this brand successfully for 15 years! On top of all that, there are no artificial flavors or colors used, so you know exactly what your pup is eating every day!
- Real meat as the primary ingredient
- Variety suitable for dogs with allergies
- No artificial flavors/colors
- Smaller kibble size easily digestible
- Improved coat health & shine
- Positive feedback about energy levels
- Quality concerns due to lawsuits/ingredients previously raised
- Wet dry food at the bottom reported by some customers
- Not preferred by all finicky eaters
7. Nutro Ultra Adult Dog Food
View On Chewy
Nutro Ultra Adult Dog Food is packed with protein, real chicken, and 15 superfoods to provide complete and balanced nutrition for your adult pup. This food is sourced from trusted farmers who rigorously test their ingredients for quality and safety.
With positive customer experiences, such as improved skin and coat health reported by many users of this product, it could be a great option if you’re looking to switch up your dog’s diet.
However, there have been some mixed reviews of this product due to its taste. Some pups simply don’t prefer it over other brands, while others love the flavor! Additionally, one customer noted an increase in price, which may cause pet owners to look into other options available on the market.
Although suitable for dogs with allergies/sensitive stomachs, care should still be taken when introducing new foods, especially those containing allergens like fish/chicken, which are both found in Nutro Ultra Adult Dog Food.
- High protein content from real chicken & lamb
- Contains 15 superfoods such as coconut & chia seed
- Free from artificial preservatives & flavors
- Non-GMO ingredients provide complete nutrition
- Positive feedback regarding improved skin coat health
- Some dogs do not prefer the flavor
- Recent price increases observed
- Suitable but caution advised when introducing allergen-containing foods
8. Nulo Freestyle Salmon Peas Dog Food
View On Chewy
Nulo Freestyle Salmon Peas Dog Food is a protein-packed powerhouse of nutrition that will give your pup the energy and sustenance they need to thrive. It is formulated with 80% animal-based proteins, low glycemic index ingredients for sustained energy, probiotics for digestion support, amino acids for lean muscle mass and heart health, calcium & phosphorus for strong bones, as well as wholesome vegetables & fruits to support immune health.
This grain-free food is suitable not just for small breeds but also for medium & large dogs. French Bulldog owners, in particular, have seen positive results on their fur health and softness after switching to it due to its exclusion of chicken fat, making it perfect if your dog has allergies or a sensitive stomach.
- 80% animal-based proteins
- Low glycemic index ingredients
- Chicken fat excluded – a good choice if allergic/sensitive stomachs
- Mixed reviews from customers regarding adverse reactions
- Potatoes present – unsuitable for potato allergy sufferers
9. Solid Gold Duck Egg Pea Dog Food
View On Chewy
Solid Gold Duck Egg Pea Dog Food may be the perfect choice for active Scottish Terriers looking for high-protein fuel without sacrificing flavor. The grain and gluten-free recipe contains 41% crude protein from duck, egg, and 20 superfoods to promote muscle development and weight gain.
Dogs love its taste, and even picky eaters enjoy it. Owners appreciate the improved skin condition of their pets thanks to this formula’s low glycemic index ingredients. The smaller kibble size is easy on small jaws, and its smell is preferable compared with other types of kibbles.
- High protein content
- Affordable price point
- Pleasant smell
- Beneficial effects on sensitive skin
- Helps with weight gain & muscle development
- Smaller firmer bowel movements & decreased gas production
- Upset stomach experienced by some dogs
- New potato containing formula not suitable for diabetic dogs
Why Choosing the Right Food is Important
As a responsible pet owner, you understand the importance of providing your Scottish Terrier with optimal nutrition. A balanced diet tailored to their unique needs helps maintain dental care and oral health while supporting joint and bone health.
Choosing the right dog food is essential for optimizing your Scottie’s well-being in all stages of life.
Nutritional Needs for Optimal Health
Providing your Scottish Terrier with the right nutrition can help ensure they stay healthy and active for years to come. To maintain a balanced gut microbiome, provide prebiotics, probiotics, and fermented foods.
Dental care is important too. Crunchy kibbles with sodium hexametaphosphate are effective in preventing plaque build-up on teeth.
Weight management also requires attention. Low-calorie diets, lower in fat and combined with regular exercise, will promote health while avoiding obesity risks.
Cognitive function needs omega-3s and vitamins like E & C, plus L-carnitine for puppies or senior dogs respectively.
Eye health benefits from A, C beta carotene & lutein, along with EPA/DHA nutrients.
Skin & coat require GLA+ALA+omega 3s + vitamin E, etc.
The best food choice is raw dog food mimicking a natural diet with high protein meat, bones, offal, balance of fats, vitamins, minerals, fiber – tailored to each pup’s unique nutritional needs!
Dental Care and Oral Health
Maintaining good dental care is like brushing your teeth – it’s essential for keeping your Scottie’s smile bright and healthy. Tartar can quickly build up on their teeth, leading to gingivitis and other issues, so regular toothbrush techniques are important.
Dental treats are also great for removing plaque in hard-to-reach places, while specialized oral hygiene products such as enzymatic dental chews help reduce tartar buildup. Dry food helps keep their mouth clean by scraping away plaque with every bite; wet food should be avoided due to its sugar content that leads to increased bacteria growth.
With these tips in mind, choose the best dog food for Scottish Terriers and provide them with a balanced diet of high protein foods tailored towards optimal oral health!
Supporting Joint and Bone Health
To support your Scottish Terrier’s joint and bone health, look for dog food with essential nutrients like glucosamine, methylsulfonylmethane (MSM), chondroitin, omega-3 fatty acids, green mussels, and taurine.
These ingredients are key to supporting mobility in Scotties while also preventing osteoarthritis.
A balanced diet is important too. Include a variety of proteins from fresh sources such as meat or fish along with healthy fats like coconut oil. Omega-3 fatty acids help reduce inflammation in the joints. Try adding seafood like salmon or sardines in moderation for best results.
To ensure that your pup’s nutritional requirements are met, it’s recommended to choose high-quality foods specifically designed for terriers that meet AAFCO standards.
How Much Food Should I Feed My Scottish Terrier?
Knowing your Scottish Terrier’s individual needs can help you determine how much food to feed them each day. Generally, adult dogs require 1.5-2 cups of dog food per day, spread across two or three meals depending on the size and energy level of your Scottie.
Puppies should be fed three to four times a day until they reach six months old before transitioning to an adult feeding schedule for optimal digestive health.
It is important to consider more than just quantity when deciding what and how much food is best for your pup. The ingredients that make up their diet are also critical in meeting their nutritional requirements as well as catering to any sensitivities they may have, such as allergies or sensitive stomachs.
When selecting the best dog food for your Scottish Terrier, look out for high-quality sources of protein from real meat like chicken or fish, paired with wholesome grains and vegetables.
Lastly, remember portion control plays an important role too. If you’re unsure about portions, start small and then adjust accordingly according to age and activity levels while keeping a close eye on weight management at all times!
How Often Should I Feed My Scottish Terrier?
Feeding your Scottish Terrier the right food is key to keeping them healthy and happy – but how often should you provide meals? As a general rule, adult Scotties can be fed twice per day. Puppies under 6 months should eat 3-4 times a day in smaller portions; while dogs over 1 year of age may benefit from an adjusted meal schedule tailored to their individual needs.
To ensure consistent dietary requirements and optimal nutrition for your pup, it’s important to stick with the same feeding frequency each day. When determining meal portions, consider factors such as breed size and weight management.
Small breeds like Scottish Terriers typically require 1½–2 cups of kibble daily split into two servings, while larger breeds need up to 4 cups per day depending on their activity level.
If your pup has skin or food allergies or sensitivities, choose limited ingredient foods such as those containing salmon & peas or deboned chicken & sweet potatoes that are free from common allergens like wheat and soy protein.
Regularly monitor your dog’s weight for signs of obesity due to overeating and adjust portion sizes accordingly if necessary.
Which Food is Better, Wet or Dry?
Deciding between wet or dry food for your Scottish Terrier can be a difficult choice, but understanding the pros and cons of each will help you make an informed decision.
Wet food contains more moisture than dry kibble, making it beneficial for puppies and senior dogs who may struggle to stay hydrated. It also helps prevent bad breath and dental issues due to its high water content, which encourages chewing.
Additionally, wet foods are often higher in protein than their dry counterparts with fewer carbohydrates, which can lead to weight gain in adult dogs.
Dry dog food offers advantages too. It is easier to store due to its longer shelf life, as well as being less expensive per serving compared with canned options—ideal if budgeting is a concern!
When considering joint health benefits, both types provide glucosamine that helps reduce inflammation while promoting mobility. However, some studies suggest omega-3 fatty acids found in cold-water fish ingredients (usually only found on moist diets) could have cancer prevention properties not present in dried formulas.
Ultimately, there’s no clear winner when comparing wet vs dry dog food. Consider your Scottie’s needs together with convenience factors like budget or storage availability when deciding which option best suits them.
Compare Our Recommended Dog Foods
Now let’s compare our recommended dog foods for Scottish Terriers.
Blue Buffalo Small Breed Adult and Wellness CORE Puppy Dry Dog Food are both high-quality dry food options, with real meat as the first ingredient.
Natural Balance Salmon Sweet Potato is a great choice for dogs with allergies or sensitive stomachs due to its limited ingredients list.
Purina Pro Plan Adult Salmon Rice Dry Dog Food contains salmon paired with oatmeal and natural prebiotic fiber to support digestive health.
Victor Select Yukon River has fish oil rich in omega-3 fatty acids plus sunflower oil containing omega-6 fatty acids to promote joint health—both make excellent adult diets.
Taste Wild Appalachian Valley Small Breed Dog Food includes vitamins, minerals, and essential amino acids from superfoods that aid in skin and coat maintenance.
Nutro Ultra Adult has 15 superfoods such as flaxseed providing energy-sustaining nutrition that can be beneficial for active dogs like Scotties!
Lastly, Nulo Freestyle Salmon Peas contains probiotics aiding digestion along with Solid Gold Duck Egg Pea featuring duck egg which may help boost immunity of these feisty pups!
Compare each product on their nutritional content as well as taste preferences before making a decision on your pup’s ideal diet.
Finally, take into account customer feedback regarding how effective certain brands have been at improving coats or helping picky eaters adjust better – all key factors when deciding what’s best for your Scottie!
Finding the best dog food for your Scottish Terrier can be a daunting task. With so many varieties and brands on the market, it can be hard to know which one is right for your pup. Fortunately, the nine top-rated dog foods we’ve highlighted here offer the essential nutrition your pup needs to stay healthy.
Each of these foods is specifically tailored to meet the nutritional needs of Scottish Terriers, providing optimal health benefits. On average, adult Scottish Terriers need 1.5 to 2 cups of food per day, with puppies requiring three to four meals a day.
Whether you opt for wet or dry food, you can trust that these recommended brands will provide your pup with the balanced nutrition they need to stay happy and healthy.