This site is supported by our readers. We may earn a commission, at no cost to you, if you purchase through links.
Unleashing the power of a Labrador’s enthusiasm and energy starts with providing them with the best food that meets their nutritional needs. When it comes to Labradors, selecting the right dog food is key — not only for physical health but also for your pup’s psychological well-being.
That’s why we’ve compiled a list of top 10 recommended foods specifically designed for this breed so you can pick one tailored to meet your Labrador retriever’s individual requirements. From understanding puppy kibble to comparing wet versus dry options, our comprehensive list will provide all information needed when looking at different types of nutrition available on today’s market.
Table Of Contents
- Key Takeaways
- Top 10 Best Dog Foods for Labrador Retrievers
- 1. CANIDAE All Life Stages Dog Food
- 2. Wellness CORE Large Breed Dog Food
- 3. Taste Wild High Prairie Dog Food
- 4. Nutro Ultra Adult Dog Food
- 5. American Journey Large Breed Adult Chicken Sweet Potato Grain Free Dog Food
- 6. Orijen Grain Free Dog Food
- 7. Gather Free Acres Organic Chicken Dog Food
- 8. Eagle Pack Dog Food Chicken Pork Large Breed Adult
- 9. Purina Pro Plan Puppy Chicken Rice
- 10. Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy
- Nutritional Needs for Labrador Retrievers
- Addressing Food Allergies & Sensitivities in Labs
- Considering Beyond Basic Ingredients for Labs
Labrador retrievers require specific nutrition for their well-being.
High-quality nutrition is key to Lab health.
Omega fatty acids promote skin and coat health.
Glucosamine supports joint health.
Top 10 Best Dog Foods for Labrador Retrievers
Are you searching for the best dog food to feed your Labrador Retriever? With a few key considerations, such as life stage and dietary needs, finding the right food can be overwhelming. We’ve narrowed it down to 10 of our top picks that are suitable for Labs of all ages and sizes.
1. CANIDAE All Life Stages Dog Food
View On Chewy
Experience the ease of mealtime and support your Lab’s health with CANIDAE All Life Stages Dog Food. It is formulated to provide optimum nutrition for all ages, breeds, and sizes! This premium dry food contains animal protein from chicken, turkey, lamb, and fish meals.
CANIDAE All Life Stages Dog Food is free of common food allergens like corn, wheat, or soy, making it a great choice for dogs who may have allergies. The added vitamins and minerals in this dog food ensure that your pup is getting all the essential nutrients they need while avoiding anything artificial.
With its convenient auto-ship option through Chewy, you can be sure their bowl will always be full!
- High-quality ingredients
- Contains optimal levels of protein from various sources
- Added vitamins & minerals
- Free from common allergens (corn/wheat/soy)
- Some reported issues with dogs getting sick (vomiting & diarrhea)
- Mixed reviews on taste – some dogs don’t seem to enjoy it
- Not suitable for high-energy dogs
2. Wellness CORE Large Breed Dog Food
View On Chewy
Wellness CORE Large Breed Dog Food offers a premium blend of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates to support your large pup’s health. This 26-pound bag of food is made in the United States from various sources with added antioxidants, probiotics, vitamins, minerals, and omega fatty acids.
It contains no corn or wheat, making it suitable for dogs with sensitive stomachs. Additionally, it supports lean body mass and muscle tone, promotes healthy skin and coat, and includes glucosamine for joint health.
The natural fiber in this dog food aids digestion. The larger kibble size pieces are easy for bigger breeds to eat.
- No corn or wheat, suitable for dogs with sensitive stomachs
- Contains glucosamine to support joints
- Natural fiber aids digestion
- Some concerns about freshness and food color
- Mention of price increase
- Allergic reactions reported in some dogs
- Quality issues have been reported.
3. Taste Wild High Prairie Dog Food
View On Chewy
Taste of the Wild High Prairie is a natural formula that can provide your pup with ample nutrition to support bones, joints, and lean muscles. This grain-free dog food features roasted bison and venison as its main ingredients for high-quality proteins.
It also includes vitamins from superfoods like blueberries and coconut, as well as omega fatty acids for skin health, to ensure complete balanced nutrition. The K9 Strain Proprietary Probiotics help promote digestion, while prebiotics aid in immune system support.
Made in the USA by a family-owned brand, this 28-pound bag is suitable for small, medium, or large breeds, including American pitbull terriers with sensitive stomachs.
- Contains real meat as the #1 ingredient
- High protein content (32%)
- Supports bones, joints, and lean muscle mass
- Includes vitamins and minerals from fruits/superfoods
- Omega fatty acids to promote skin health
4. Nutro Ultra Adult Dog Food
View On Chewy
Nutro Ultra Adult Dog Food is packed with protein from real chicken, lamb, and salmon as the main ingredients, plus 15 superfoods like coconut, chia, kale, and blueberries. This provides unbeatable nutrition for adult dogs of all breeds. Customers have overwhelmingly praised this food for its ability to improve skin and coat health in their furry friends.
It’s free of common allergens such as corn, wheat, or soy, which can be problematic for many pups. Nutro Ultra only uses quality non-GMO ingredients that are rigorously tested before they’re added to the formula, making it a great choice for dogs with intolerances or sensitivities.
While the price tag may be slightly higher than other brands, you’re paying for premium nutrition that will keep your pet healthy well into adulthood without any artificial preservatives or colors.
- Protein-rich formula with real chicken as the primary ingredient
- Contains 15 superfoods, including coconut and kale
- Free of common allergens (corn, wheat, soy)
- Non-GMO and thoroughly tested ingredients
- Higher priced compared to other brands
- Some users have reported quality control issues.
5. American Journey Large Breed Adult Chicken Sweet Potato Grain Free Dog Food
View On Chewy
Treat your large pup to American Journey Large Breed Adult Chicken Sweet Potato Grain Free Dog Food for a delicious and nutritious meal that’ll keep them healthy and active! This grain-free recipe is fortified with glucosamine and chondroitin for joint health.
It also contains natural fiber for digestion and has bigger kibble for an extra crunch. Plus, it has no corn, wheat, or soy, making it a perfect choice for pets with sensitive stomachs.
With 15 superfood ingredients like coconut, kale, and blueberries, this food packs a healthy punch!
- No Corn, Wheat, Soy, or Poultry By-Product Meals
- Glucosamine & Chondroitin for Joint Health
- Natural Fiber for Digestion
- Bigger Kibble Size
- Quality Control Issues Reported (Moldy Kibble)
- Some Users Noted Weight Gain After Feeding
6. Orijen Grain Free Dog Food
View On Chewy
Orijen Grain Free Dog Food is a nutrient-dense option that offers your pup an abundance of animal protein with ORIJEN WholePrey ingredients for optimal health and digestion. This grain-free formula is made in the USA, with global ingredients suitable for all life stages and breeds.
It contains up to 85% animal proteins from free-run chicken, turkey, flounder mackerel, and chicken liver as well as omega fatty acids to support skin/coat health. Vitamins and minerals are added from superfoods such as coconut, chia, kale, and blueberries to ensure overall wellness, while K9 Strain Proprietary Probiotics aid in digestion.
This premium food has mixed user reviews. Some have reported improved overall health, including coat condition, after feeding their dogs Orijen Original within two weeks. However, others experienced sudden diarrhea or loose stools due to sensitivity issues or recent changes in the formula, which caused their dog’s refusal to eat it altogether.
Allergic reactions such as itching were also reported by certain users, so caution should be taken before introducing this product into your pet’s diet if they suffer any allergies previously.
Despite its price being considered pricey compared with other brands, many owners trust this brand enough that they deem it worth paying extra money for the quality nutrition provided by Orijen Grain Free Dog Food.
- Improved overall health & coat condition
- Reduced bad breath & water consumption
- Last longer due to lower consumption
- Loved by most dogs, especially Orijen Original
- Sudden diarrhea & loose stools
- Recent Formula change led to poor acceptance
- Allergic reactions
- Adverse Health effects
7. Gather Free Acres Organic Chicken Dog Food
View On Chewy
Gather Free Acres Organic Chicken Dog Food offers a delicious, nutritious alternative for adult dogs of all breeds. It features certified organic chicken as the main ingredient and is fortified with essential vitamins and minerals.
Non-GMO vegetables such as peas, lentils, blueberries, and cranberries supplement this premium food blend. Additionally, sustainably harvested krill provides EPA and DHA fatty acids to support immune health.
This grain-free formula is free from antibiotics, growth hormones, by-products, corn, wheat, soy, artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. Therefore, you can trust that your pup is getting nothing but wholesome nutrition in their mealtime bowl.
While many pet owners have reported that this food has increased coat shine and improved overall health in their beloved companions, it is important to note that some dogs may experience bad smell, digestive issues, or adverse reactions when switching to this food.
Taste preferences may also vary among dogs, although most seem content with Gather Free Acres Organic Chicken Dog Food.
- Certified organic chicken as the primary meat ingredient
- Non-GMO vegetables and sustainably harvested krill provide EPA/DHA fatty acids
- Fortified with essential vitamins and minerals
- Potential allergic reactions reported (bad smell, digestive issues)
- Some users report inconsistent quality (moldy kibble)
- Mixed feedback on taste preferences among dogs
8. Eagle Pack Dog Food Chicken Pork Large Breed Adult
View On Chewy
Fuel your large breed pup’s active lifestyle with Eagle Pack Dog Food Chicken Pork Large Breed Adult, a special blend of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates designed to promote their health. Formulated specifically for large breeds over 50 pounds, this grain-free food is made in the USA and contains glucosamine for joint support and omega fatty acids to help maintain a healthy skin and coat.
Additionally, it has antioxidants that can boost your pup’s immune system. It is also free from corn, wheat, meat byproducts, artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives, making it suitable even for sensitive stomachs.
User reviews on Eagle Pack are mixed. Some customers report positive effects such as improved digestive health, bone and joint strength, and active lifestyles. However, others have experienced bad smells, upset digestion, adverse reactions, or quality control issues like moldy kibble.
These issues can be avoided through careful storage techniques when buying in bulk. Some users were also surprised by an unexpected price increase, so it’s always important to double-check before making a purchase.
- Special blend of proteins, fat, and carbs tailored to large dogs
- Glucosamine supports joints
- Omega fatty acids promote healthy skin and coat
- Antioxidants boost immunity
- Grain-free – no corn, wheat, soy, etc.
- Free from artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives
- Dogs may not take kindly to a change in diet
- Bad smell reported
- Quality control issue (moldy kibble)
- Unexpected price increases
9. Purina Pro Plan Puppy Chicken Rice
View On Chewy
Purina Pro Plan Puppy Chicken Rice is a great choice for large and giant breed puppies. It offers glucosamine for joint and cartilage support, DHA from fish oil to help with brain development and vision, and calcium and minerals for strong bones.
The primary ingredient is chicken, along with other essential vitamins and minerals that promote healthy growth in young canines.
This 34-pound bag of dry kibble is designed specifically for larger breeds over 50 pounds, such as Labradors, which require extra nutrition during their growing years. Its grain-free recipe ensures easy digestion, while omega fatty acids provide skin and coat health benefits.
Customers have reported positive changes in the energy levels of their dogs after switching to this food, with many noting improved digestive health as well. Some users, however, found it not filling enough, while others experienced certain allergic reactions or inconsistent quality issues due to packaging changes, leading them to buy the wrong product variants at times.
- Supports an active lifestyle in large breed puppies
- Improved digestive health
- Helps with bone and joint strength
- Appreciated affordability and auto delivery options
- Effective even on dogs having specific health issues (IBD)
- Not keeping some dogs full long enough
- Packaging changes caused confusion and wrong purchases
10. Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy
View On Chewy
Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy is the perfect choice for providing nourishment to your pup as they grow and thrive. Made in the USA by a family-owned company, this specially formulated dry dog food features real pasture-raised lamb as its number one ingredient and contains Omega fatty acids to promote skin and coat health.
Vitamins from superfood fruits such as blueberries and oranges are also included, along with species-specific K9 strain probiotics that support healthy digestion, immune system function, overall wellness.
Customers have reported positive results like improved skin condition in dogs with allergies; successful transitions through growth stages; better joint strength due to added glucosamine; active lifestyles thanks to increased energy levels – all while being budget friendly too! However, some users have experienced transitioning issues resulting in loose stools/vomiting/diarrhea, whereas other reactions include hives & hair loss.
- Real pasture-raised lamb #1 ingredient
- Contains omega fatty acids
- Includes vitamins & minerals from superfood fruits such as blueberries & oranges
- Transitioning issues leading to diarrhea/vomiting, etc.
- Potential adverse reactions including hives & hair loss
- Inconsistent quality/potential mold
Nutritional Needs for Labrador Retrievers
Labrador retrievers are active dogs and have specific nutritional needs to maintain optimal health. To support their physical activity, they require a high-quality diet enriched with animal proteins, fats, complex carbohydrates, and important vitamins and minerals.
It should also address common health issues such as hip dysplasia or food allergies that Labradors may experience during different stages of life.
Here is a five-point list for an ideal Labrador Retriever Diet:
- Ensure adequate protein levels from chicken, turkey, lamb, or fish meals.
- Supplement with glucosamine for joint support.
- Include omega fatty acids to promote skin and coat health.
- Transition between puppy, adult, and senior dog food gradually.
- Avoid overfeeding and too much calcium in the diet.
Proper nutrition throughout each stage of your Lab’s life can help prevent certain conditions like hip dysplasia while promoting overall wellbeing into old age.
Addressing Food Allergies & Sensitivities in Labs
If your Lab has food allergies or sensitivities, it’s time to break out the magnifying glass and find a diet that won’t cause them any trouble – like looking for a needle in a haystack! Allergy identification should be done with an allergy test from your veterinarian.
Sensitivity testing is also important as this can help determine which type of food might work well with their individual needs.
Once allergens or sensitivities have been identified, dietary modifications such as elimination diets may need to be implemented for symptom management. Premium dog foods are usually best when addressing dietary concerns because they often contain higher quality ingredients than regular brands and help reduce the risk of obesity in Labs.
Look for protein-rich formulas made without artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, and common allergens like corn, wheat, soy, etc., that will provide all essential nutrients while minimizing potential irritation from different triggers.
With some patience, you can find the right fit so your furry friend stays happy and healthy!
Considering Beyond Basic Ingredients for Labs
It is important to consider beyond basic ingredients when determining the best dog food for Labrador Retrievers. Balanced nutrition, addressing health concerns, and gradual stage transitions should all be taken into account in order to ensure your Lab’s optimal well-being.
Importance of Balanced Nutrition
It’s important to provide balanced nutrition for your Labrador retriever, making sure it contains the highest-quality ingredients and is tailored to their dietary needs. Nutrition benefits include a healthy immune system, strong bones and muscles, a glossy coat and skin, plus protection against hip dysplasia.
To keep Labs happy and healthy, follow dietary guidelines; feed nutrient-rich food in correct amounts; choose quality ingredients based on age, size, and activity level; minimize exposure to allergens like wheat or corn.
Addressing Health Concerns
When feeding your Labrador, it’s important to be mindful of potential health concerns and choose a food that addresses them. Hip dysplasia prevention can be achieved by avoiding overfeeding and ensuring calcium levels are appropriate for puppies.
Weight management is also essential to avoid joint strain. Look out for foods with lower fat content or use a supplement specifically designed to support healthy joints.
Allergy management requires ingredients free from common allergens like corn, wheat, and soy.
For senior nutrition, it’s important to provide an adequate source of energy without extra fats or calories that could cause weight gain.
If sensitivities require more specific diets due to elbow dysplasia or other conditions, consider switching brands regularly so your pet gets all the necessary nutrients needed as their needs change throughout life stages.
Finally, include a good quality hip & joint supplement into their routine if required.
Gradual Stage Transitions
To ensure optimal health for your Lab, it is important to transition between feeding stages gradually. Consider dietary guidelines that meet the age-appropriate needs of your pup and provide tailored nutrition to support their growth and development.
Start with a puppy food designed for large breeds like Wellness Core Large Breed Puppy or Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy. Once your Lab reaches around one year old, you can switch to an adult formula such as CANIDAE All Life Stages Multi-Protein Formula or Nutro Ultra Adult Dog Food.
As your Lab reaches seven years of age, it is important to transition them onto a senior dog food formulated specifically for larger dogs. This will help address any joint issues caused by hip dysplasia risk factors such as genetics and overfeeding.
Good options for senior dog food include Wellness CORE Senior Dry Dog Food or Diamond Naturals Senior Dry Dog Food.
Following these feeding tips will help keep your Labrador Retriever healthy throughout its life span while also providing lasting health benefits from high-quality nutrition!
So, if you’re looking for the best dog food for your beloved Labrador retriever, you now have a plethora of options to choose from. From CANIDAE All Life Stages to American Journey Large Breed Adult Chicken Sweet Potato Grain Free Dog Food, you can’t go wrong with any of these top 10 recommendations.
Whether your pup is a puppy, adult, or senior, each of these dog foods has been specifically formulated for Labs to meet their nutritional needs and address any food allergies or sensitivities they may have.
To ensure your furry friend is getting the most out of their meals, make sure to feed them a high-quality food suitable for their age and activity level.
At the end of the day, you don’t have to settle for the same old generic dog food; you can give your pup the best with any of these top 10 best dog foods for Labrador retrievers.