This site is supported by our readers. We may earn a commission, at no cost to you, if you purchase through links.
Bringing home a Cane Corso puppy is an exciting experience. You’re ready to have your own personal Hercules, who will be loyal and protective as well as loving and affectionate. It’s important for you to provide the best nutrition possible in order for your pup to grow into a strong adult dog, so choosing the right dog food is essential.
With our review of the best dog food brands for Cane Corsos, we’ve found top picks that are packed with protein and quality ingredients while avoiding fillers or artificial additives – ensuring your pup gets all they need from their meals!
Table Of Contents
- Key Takeaways
- 7 Best Dog Foods for Cane Corsos
- 1. Merrick Grain-Free Dry Puppy Food Real Beef & Sweet Potato Recipe
- 2. Blue Buffalo Homestyle Puppy Chicken Garden Vegetable Dog Food
- 3. Orijen Amazing Grains Puppy Dog Food
- 4. Stella Chewys Perfectly Puppy Beef Salmon Dinner Dog Food
- 5. Wellness Complete Health Puppy Chicken Oatmeal Salmon Dog Food
- 6. Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Chicken and Rice Wet Dog Food
- 7. Holistic Select Puppy Food Large Breed
- What’s the Best Dog Food for a Cane Corso?
- Choosing the Best Dog Food for Cane Corsos: What to Look For
- Best for Puppies: Holistic Select Large & Giant Breed Puppy Health Dry Dog Food
- Things to Consider When Choosing the Best Puppy Dog Food for Cane Corsos
- Protein content is important in puppy food options for Cane Corsos.
- Choose dog food with high-quality ingredients and no artificial additives.
- Look for puppy food that provides nutrient support and essential vitamins and minerals.
- Consider transitioning to adult food around 9-12 months and choose food tailored to the dog’s size and age.
7 Best Dog Foods for Cane Corsos
Are you looking for the best food to feed your Cane Corso? It can be challenging to choose a diet that meets all of their nutritional needs due to their large size and high energy levels. In this article, we’ll discuss seven different dog foods specifically tailored for the breed.
- Merrick Grain-Free Dry Puppy Food Real Beef & Sweet Potato Recipe
- Blue Buffalo Homestyle Puppy Chicken Garden Vegetable Dog Food
- Orijen Amazing Grains Puppy Dog Food
- Stella Chewys Perfectly Puppy Beef Salmon Dinner Dog Food
- Wellness Complete Health Puppy Chicken Oatmeal Salmon Dog Food
- Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Chicken and Rice Wet Dog Food
- Holistic Selects’ Puppies Large Breed.
1. Merrick Grain-Free Dry Puppy Food Real Beef & Sweet Potato Recipe
If your Cane Corso pup needs a grain-free diet, Merrick’s Real Beef & Sweet Potato Recipe is an excellent choice. It offers plenty of protein and healthy fats for their growing needs. This natural formula contains deboned beef as the first ingredient, along with 70% animal-sourced proteins and omega fatty acids to support skin and coat health.
It also includes glucosamine, chondroitin, and DHA for joint development, while avoiding artificial colors or flavors.
Made in the USA, this kibble comes in a 22-pound bag suitable for small to medium breed puppies. Though reviews were mixed about its flavor profile, there were positive reports on how it helped transition from puppy food without digestive problems.
Some dogs also experienced improved coat condition after switching to this brand. However, some customers had issues with bad odor coming out of their puppy’s stool. Overall, most noted no negative reactions from the all-natural ingredients used here compared to other brands they tried before settling on Merrick Grain Free Puppy Food Real Beef & Sweet Potato Recipe Dry Dog Food.
- Natural formula free from corn, wheat, soy fillers, or preservatives
- Contains 55% protein plus healthy fat sources like Omega 3 fatty acid
- Includes DHA, glucosamine, chondroitin, antioxidants, and probiotics
- Suitable size kibbles made with real deboned beef as the 1st ingredient
- Mixed customer reviews on taste preference
- Occasional burnt smelling bags of food
- Not all puppies liked it without additional toppings
2. Blue Buffalo Homestyle Puppy Chicken Garden Vegetable Dog Food
View On Chewy
You’ll love Blue Buffalo Homestyle Puppy Chicken Garden Vegetable Dog Food for your Cane Corso, packed with delicious real chicken and all the vitamins and minerals needed to support healthy puppy growth.
This canned wet food provides complete nutrition in a range of serving options; as a treat, mixed with dry kibble, or as an entree.
It contains no by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors, or preservatives, so you can rest assured that your pup is getting only wholesome ingredients in every bite. The texture of this wet food will provide something different from their usual kibble diet while still providing them with essential nutrients like DHA, which supports brain, eye, and cognitive development during those crucial months of growth.
- Real chicken is the first ingredient for muscle growth
- Contains garden fruits & veggies for wholesome nutrition
- Supports brain, eye & cognitive development in puppies
- Some puppies dislike the fishy smell
- Not suitable for all puppies due to large size
3. Orijen Amazing Grains Puppy Dog Food
View On Chewy
Orijen’s Amazing Grains Puppy Dog Food is packed with up to 90% poultry and fish, plus non-GMO grains, for a nutrient-rich meal that supports digestive health and immunity. This 4 lb bag is suitable for small to large breed puppies of all sizes. It contains no corn, wheat, or soy and has a freeze-dried coating that picky eaters may enjoy, as well as DHA for brain development from salmon oil.
The addition of probiotics helps support healthy digestion, while antioxidants boost immunity in growing pups.
- Up to 90% poultry & fish ingredients
- Non-GMO grains included
- Freeze-dried coating adds flavor
- Not suitable for puppies with food sensitivities due to the high protein content
- Some puppies dislike the smell/taste
- Can cause diarrhea despite gradual transition
4. Stella Chewys Perfectly Puppy Beef Salmon Dinner Dog Food
View On Chewy
Stella Chewy’s Perfectly Puppy Beef Salmon Dinner is a high-protein, gluten-free, and grain-free meal made with 95% cage-free beef, salmon, organs, and bone for complete nutrition. This puppy food contains no added hormones, antibiotics, or fillers. Its ingredients include nutrient-rich superfoods such as chia seeds to support skin and coat health in puppies of all sizes.
Additionally, it contains probiotics for digestion support, DHA to promote brain development, omega fatty acids from salmon oil for skin coat health, plus antioxidants to boost immunity levels in growing pups.
This wet dog food provides an enticing meaty texture that many picky eaters may enjoy when compared with dry kibble options available on the market today.
While results will vary by pup, some customers have reported positive experiences transitioning their puppy onto this diet, including improved appetite, energy levels, and stool quality, along with shinier coats due to its nutritional content profile being tailored specifically towards large breed puppies’ needs.
However, there are reports of some dogs not enjoying the fish smell, which could put them off eating it altogether.
- High protein recipe (95% poultry) designed specifically for large breed puppies’ growth & development
- Contains nutrient-rich superfoods like chia seeds & New Zealand green mussels
- Free from added hormones, antibiotics, grains, fillers, artificial colors, flavors, & preservatives
- Some customers report finicky behavior due to fish smell
- Not suitable if your pup has allergies/intolerances
5. Wellness Complete Health Puppy Chicken Oatmeal Salmon Dog Food
View On Chewy
Wellness Complete Health Puppy Chicken Oatmeal Salmon Dog Food is specially formulated for puppies with premium proteins, wholesome grains, and omega fatty acids to support healthy growth. This 30-pound bag of kibble contains real chicken as the first ingredient, plus 23 essential vitamins and minerals.
It is free from artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives and provides a complete meal tailored to large breed puppies up to 50 lbs in weight.
With added antioxidants for immune system health, along with glucosamine and taurine for joint development, this food offers all-round nutrition needed by growing pups!
- Real chicken as the first ingredient
- Contains 23 essential vitamins and minerals
- Antioxidants boost immunity; glucosamine supports joints
- No artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives
- Some dogs experienced diarrhea after switching
- Not always well received by certain breeds
- Large kibble size may not be suitable for smaller breeds
6. Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Chicken and Rice Wet Dog Food
View On Amazon
Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Chicken and Rice Wet Dog Food is an insanely delicious way to give your adult Cane Corso the nutrition they need! This premium wet food contains real chicken as its first ingredient, plus 23 essential vitamins and minerals for healthy growth.
The high protein content helps condition muscles while nourishing skin and coat health with rice. It’s free of artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives to ensure a wholesome diet for growing dogs over 50 pounds.
Plus, it offers pet parents a convenient way to add variety in their pup’s mealtime routine!
- Real chicken as the first ingredient
- Contains 23 essential vitamins & minerals
- High protein content promotes muscle conditioning
- Nourishes healthy skin & coat with added rice
- Free from artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives
- Convenient option for adding variety at mealtimes
- Not suitable if the dog has allergies or intolerances
- Could be too large for smaller breeds
- Limited availability in stock
7. Holistic Select Puppy Food Large Breed
View On Amazon
Holistic Select’s Large Breed Puppy Dry Dog Food supports joint and hip health with optimal levels of protein, prebiotics, probiotics, digestive enzymes, and fiber to help your pup stay healthy. It contains Omega 3 fatty acids from salmon oil and flaxseed for a shiny coat, as well as antioxidants, glucosamine, probiotics, and taurine to support whole body health.
Crafted in the USA with natural recipes using only premium ingredients chosen for their nutritional benefits.
Reviews mention improved stool quality along with shinier coats plus better appetite after transitioning puppies onto this food, while some experienced diarrhea or vomiting when switching over their puppy’s diet.
- Supports joint and hip health
- Contains Omega 3 fatty acids for skin and coat care
- Made in the USA using natural recipes and premium ingredients
- May cause diarrhea/vomiting in sensitive pups
- Availability issues on subscribe and save
What’s the Best Dog Food for a Cane Corso?
Choosing the right nutrition for your Cane Corso is essential to ensure they stay healthy and active. When selecting dog food, look for high-quality sources of protein like deboned beef or chicken as the first ingredient.
Moderate fat content between 10-15% can help nourish their skin and coat, while whole grains provide carbohydrates in a nutritious form.
Puppy diets should be tailored towards rapid growth with additional nutrients like DHA, glucosamine, chondroitin to support joint health and omega fatty acids for eye health.
For adult dogs over 50 pounds, consider large breed formulas that contain 23 essential vitamins & minerals plus prebiotics & probiotics that contribute towards overall wellbeing by supporting digestion & immunity.
Choosing the Best Dog Food for Cane Corsos: What to Look For
As a responsible Cane Corso owner, you’ll want to make sure your pup is getting the best nutrition possible. When choosing dog food for this breed, consider factors like protein content for growth and development needs, as well as quality ingredients that can help keep them healthy and strong.
Transitioning from puppy food to adult formula at around 9-12 months old is also important for providing optimal nutrition throughout their life stages.
Protein Content for Growth
When selecting a food for your Cane Corso, prioritize protein content to support their rapid growth. Protein requirements vary depending on the dog’s size and age. Puppies need higher amounts of proteins than adult dogs as they are in a critical stage of development.
For optimal muscle development, look for high-quality sources such as deboned beef or chicken that make up at least 25% of the recipe’s total calorie count.
When transitioning from puppyhood to adulthood, gradually decrease protein intake until reaching an appropriate level suitable for an adult Dogo Italiano diet. Choose foods with moderate fat content (10-15%) which helps maintain healthy skin and coat while providing adequate energy levels.
This also avoids putting strain on internal organs like the heart or kidneys too quickly due to excess weight gain associated with obesity in large breeds like Cane Corsos.
Importance of Quality Ingredients
It’s important to look for quality ingredients in your Cane Corso’s food, such as real meat and whole grains. Avoid fillers and artificial additives that can have a negative impact on their health.
When selecting the best dog food for Cane Corsos, consider factors like protein content for growth, fat levels to support skin and coat health, and glucosamine and chondroitin for joint conditions. Omega-3 fatty acids from algal or fish oils are also beneficial in supporting eye health, while probiotics help with digestion.
Take into account ingredient quality when choosing puppy foods too, since their nutritional needs differ from adults’.
Transitioning to Adult Food
Once your Cane Corso puppy has reached 9-12 months of age, it’s time to transition them away from their puppy food and onto an adult diet. Consider dietary changes that meet a growing pup’s needs while preparing for adulthood.
Adult dog food should have a higher fat content than puppy food and contain balanced levels of protein for muscle maintenance and development. Whole grains or vegetables can provide carbohydrate sources with added fiber benefits too.
Monitor your pet’s portion size carefully during the switch process as overeating could lead to obesity issues in this breed.
Best for Puppies: Holistic Select Large & Giant Breed Puppy Health Dry Dog Food
When it comes to finding the best dog food for Cane Corsos, paying attention to both protein content and quality is essential. Protein should be the primary component of your pup’s diet; opt for high-quality sources like real meats, eggs, legumes, or fish as they provide all 20 amino acids necessary for optimal growth and development.
Protein content and quality
You’ll want to ensure your Cane Corso is getting the right amount of high-quality protein for their size and development needs. When selecting a dog food, look at the ingredients list carefully – real meat should be listed as the first ingredient.
Protein contents between 25-30% are ideal as well, depending on age and activity level. Puppy formulas should support rapid growth and contain DHA for brain health, while adult formula can help with weight maintenance or muscle conditioning in larger breeds like Cane Corsos.
When transitioning from puppy to adult food, do so gradually over several weeks to reduce gastrointestinal upset risk and adjust feeding amounts accordingly based on your pup’s unique temperament and habits!
Avoiding fillers and artificial additives
When choosing a dog food for your Cane Corso, make sure to avoid fillers and artificial additives that can cause digestive upsets. Take time to research the ingredients listed on nutritional labels and look for natural sources of essential nutrients, like fatty acids.
Ingredient scrutiny is key when selecting your pup’s diet. Consider homemade recipes or grain-free dry dog foods with balanced proportions of proteins, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals. Allergen awareness is also important. Some breeds may have allergies or sensitivities, so discuss dietary considerations with your veterinarian if necessary.
Feeding high-quality food free from artificial colors and flavors will help keep them healthy while providing all the nutrition they need!
Size-specific nutritional needs
To ensure your Cane Corso puppy’s growth and development is on track, consider their size-specific nutritional needs when selecting a dog food. Puppy food formulated for large breeds should meet their protein requirements while providing joint health support from glucosamine and chondroitin.
Avoid fillers or artificial additives that can lead to digestive issues like diarrhea. Transitioning to adult foods around 9-12 months of age will depend on the individual pup’s breed size, so look for options specifically designed with this in mind.
Things to Consider When Choosing the Best Puppy Dog Food for Cane Corsos
Are you searching for the best puppy food for your Cane Corso? When choosing a dog food, it is crucial to pay attention to the protein content and quality, as well as the inclusion of whole grains. It’s also important to look for ingredients that support joint health, such as glucosamine and chondroitin.
Protein content and quality
Look for dog food with a high-quality protein source like real meat as the first ingredient and a protein content of 25-30%.
For Cane Corsos, consider puppy foods specifically formulated for large breed dogs.
Ensure dietary balance by considering fat and carb content, as well as ingredient quality.
Omega fatty acids from sources like algal or fish oils are beneficial to support eye health and skin/coat condition.
Glucosamine & chondroitin can help promote joint health in growing puppies.
Puppy nutrition is especially important due to their rapid growth.
Proper socialization, training, and exercise are also essential components of caring for your Cane Corso pup!
Importance of whole grains
Whole grains provide important vitamins and minerals for Cane Corsos, so consider dog food with whole grains when selecting nutrition for your pup. Holistic Select Large Breed Puppy Food includes wholesome grains like oats and barley to support growth in large dogs.
Grain-free puppy foods often contain fewer carbohydrates, but the grain-free controversy has caused some owners to avoid this option due to potential taurine deficiency risks. Adding grain-inclusive options can help balance out a Cane Corso’s diet while providing essential nutrients that may be missing from other ingredients or supplements.
Consider pet insurance plans if you decide on a more expensive brand of food as it helps cover costs associated with any health issues that can arise from poor nutrition choices or allergies related dietary changes throughout their life cycle!
Joint health support
When considering a puppy food for your Cane Corso, look for brands that provide joint health support through ingredients like glucosamine and chondroitin. These compounds can help reduce the risk of common health issues such as hip dysplasia by promoting healthy cartilage formation.
Omega-3 fatty acids from fish or algal oils are also beneficial in supporting eye development and overall joint function.
Exercise is important to maintain strength and mobility throughout their life, so make sure to incorporate regular walks into your pup’s routine.
Training essentials should go hand in hand with exercise benefits; proper socialization will ensure a well-behaved pet who knows how to behave around other animals or people they meet on their adventures!
Consider looking into pet insurance options too – protecting them against unexpected costs is always a good idea!
Providing the best nutrition for your Cane Corso is crucial to their health and happiness. When choosing a dog food, look for one that emphasizes quality ingredients, natural sources of protein, and a formulation tailored to your pup’s size and age.
For puppies, an ideal option is a holistic, large-breed food. Adult Cane Corsos, on the other hand, require a food with moderate fat content, added joint and eye health supplements, and high-quality protein.
There are several brands to choose from, so it’s important to find the right food for your pet. Merrick, Blue Buffalo, Orijen, Stella Chewys, Wellness, Purina Pro Plan, and Holistic Select all offer excellent options that cater to the nutritional needs of every Cane Corso.