This site is supported by our readers. We may earn a commission, at no cost to you, if you purchase through links.
Imagine having the freedom to explore the great outdoors with your dogs, knowing they’ll stay obedient and safe by your side.
Whether it’s curbing excessive barking or stopping negative behaviors like jumping and food aggression, these remote collars give you complete control over your furry companions.
Get ready for peace of mind as we review and rate the top 10 picks for ultimate dog training success in 2023.
Table Of Contents
- Key Takeaways
- 10 Best Dog Training Collars
- 1. SportDOG FieldTrainer 425X
- 2. PetSpy Remote Dog Training Colla
- 3. PATPET P320 Dog Training EColla
- 4. Dogtra IQ Plus Training Colla
- 5. Educator Waterproof Dog Training Colla
- 6. PetSafe Remote Traine
- 7. Bousnic Waterproof Dog Training Colla
- 8. Waterproof Remote Dog Training Colla
- 9. Rechargeable Remote Dog Training Colla
- 10. Garmin PRO 550 Plus Handheld
- Understanding How Remote Dog Training Collars Work
- Exploring Popular Dog Training Collar Brands
- Addressing Concerns About Shock Collars
- Assessing the Effectiveness of Remote Dog Training Collars
- Key Considerations Before Buying a Dog Training Collar
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Remote dog training collars are devices that use a handheld transmitter to send signals to a collar receiver worn by your dog.
- The collar receiver can deliver a variety of stimuli, including tones, vibrations, and static stimulation.
- Remote dog training collars can be an effective tool for training dogs, but they should be used with caution and only by experienced dog owners.
- There are a number of factors to consider before purchasing a dog training collar, including the type of collar, the type of stimulation, the training techniques, and your dog’s individual needs.
10 Best Dog Training Collars
You’re in luck – we’ve rounded up the 10 best dog training collars on the market today.
We’ve considered factors like range, stimulation levels, and durability to help you find the perfect collar for your furry friend.
So whether you’re looking for a basic training collar or a more advanced model, we’ve got you covered.
1. SportDOG FieldTrainer 425X
View On Chewy
If you’re looking for a remote collar that offers a range of 500 yards and is waterproof, the SportDOG FieldTrainer 425X is a great option. It comes with 21 levels of static stimulation, vibration, and tone options, so you can customize the training to your dog’s individual needs.
The collar is also waterproof and submersible up to 25 feet, making it ideal for outdoor use.
- Range of 500 yards
- Waterproof and submersible up to 25 feet
- 21 levels of static stimulation, vibration, and tone options
- Easy-to-operate remote
- Rechargeable lithium-ion batteries included
- Some users have reported difficulty programming and turning the collar on/off
- Button placement can be inconvenient, especially for larger hands
- Visibility issues in the sun regarding the on/off status
2. PetSpy Remote Dog Training Colla
View On Chewy
With a range of up to 1100 yards, the PetSpy Remote Dog Training Collar is a versatile and effective tool for training your furry friend. It offers four training modes with adjustable levels, including continuous and convulsive shock, vibration, and sound.
It’s also waterproof and rechargeable, making it ideal for use in both indoor and outdoor settings.
- Effective training up to 1100 yards away
- Corrects barking, wandering, aggressive leash pulling, approaching strangers, etc.
- Four training modes with adjustable levels
- Innovative conductive rubber contact points to prevent skin irritation
- Waterproof and rechargeable
- Intuitive button layout for easy operation
- Some reported issues with inconsistent functionality and collar turning off on its own
- Mixed reviews on durability and longevity
3. PATPET P320 Dog Training EColla
View On Chewy
PATPET P320 Dog Training eCollar is a versatile and user-friendly training tool for dogs. It offers a range of training modes, including beeps, vibrations, and adjustable levels of shock. The collar is waterproof and has a range of 1000ft, making it ideal for training dogs in both indoor and outdoor settings.
- Versatile training modes
- Waterproof and long-range
- 2-year warranty
- Some users report that the shock is too strong
- Collar can be difficult to put on
- Batteries don’t last as long as advertised
4. Dogtra IQ Plus Training Colla
View On Chewy
The Dogtra IQ Plus Training Collar is a small but mighty training collar that’s trusted by professionals for shaping basic obedience. It offers 1 to 100 levels of low to mid simulation, a front-facing intensity dial for precise control, and a waterproof receiver/collar.
It’s perfect for companion dogs 10 pounds and over and is suitable for both on and off-leash training.
- Trusted by professionals for shaping basic obedience
- 1 to 100 levels of low to mid simulation
- Front-facing intensity dial for precise control
- Waterproof receiver/collar
- Suitable for both on and off-leash training
- Some users reported issues after 8 months of use
- Collar isn’t a toy, but a training tool
5. Educator Waterproof Dog Training Colla
View On Chewy
Educator Waterproof Dog Training Collar is a versatile and effective tool for training dogs of various breed sizes, from small to large breeds weighing over 20 pounds and aged 6 months and up. It features a proprietary low-level stimulation method that ensures quick conditioning without harm.
You have control over stimulation levels from 1 to 100 and a boost level from 1 to 60, alongside tapping vibration and tone stimulation for diverse training needs.
- Waterproof and durable
- Long battery life
- Multiple training modes
- Intuitive no-look button layout
- Some users reported receiving the wrong model
- Occasional durability concerns
- LED light isn’t always visible
6. PetSafe Remote Traine
View On Chewy
If you’re looking for a hands-on, close-range training solution, the PetSafe 100 Yard Lite Remote Trainer is a great option. It offers three gentle yet persuasive modes—audible tone, vibration, and 15 levels of static—that can be customized to your dog’s individual needs.
The ergonomic remote ensures comfortable handling and features a large display for easy monitoring. The durable, waterproof collar and remote guarantee longevity, while the safety lock feature prioritizes your pet’s comfort.
- Waterproof remote trainer with 3 styles of stimulation: audible tone, vibration, or 15 levels of static
- Safety lock feature for pet comfort
- Battery life: Remote – 40 hours, Collar – 40 hours; rechargeable within 2 hours
- Suitable for dogs 8 pounds and up with neck sizes between 6 and 23 inches
- Range of Coverage: 100 yards
- Lite version suitable for smaller dogs with slightly lower stimulation levels
- Not recommended for puppies younger than 6 months
- Some users report that the collar can be uncomfortable for some dogs
7. Bousnic Waterproof Dog Training Colla
View On Amazon
With a control range of 1100 yards (3300ft), the Bousnic Waterproof Dog Training Collar offers a versatile training solution for dogs of all sizes. It features a variety of training modes, including beep, vibration, and safe shock, customizable across 1 to 99 levels.
The waterproof rating of IP67 enables worry-free use during showers, swimming, or even adventurous stream-trekking sessions with your furry companion.
- Versatile training solution for dogs of all sizes
- Range of 1100 yards (3300ft)
- Waterproof rating of IP67
- Variety of training modes, including beep, vibration, and safe shock
- Customizable across 1 to 99 levels
- Independent buttons to prevent misoperation
- Dual-channel capability allows for simultaneous training of two dogs
- Long-lasting battery life, ranging from 15 to 60 days on a 2-3 hour charge
- Some users have reported issues with the battery life
- The collar isn’t compatible with all dogs
- The training modes may not be suitable for all dogs
8. Waterproof Remote Dog Training Colla
View On Amazon
With a range of up to 1312 yards, the Waterproof Remote Dog Training Collar is a versatile training tool that can be used for both on and off-leash training. It offers multiple training options – be it shock, vibrations, or beeps – and up to 10 levels of intensity, making it ideal for teaching various commands.
The collar’s ultra-long-lasting rechargeable battery charges fully in just 2 hours, eliminating standby mode for immediate use. However, users should responsibly utilize the shock function and prioritize high-quality materials over cheaper alternatives.
- Suitable for dogs over 15lbs
- Covers wide outdoor areas for training
- Multiple training options: shock, vibrations, beeps
- Can train multiple dogs with additional collars
- High-quality, durable construction for longevity
- Waterproof and suitable for swimming dogs
- Quick 2-hour full charge time
- No standby mode, ready for immediate use
- Offers up to 10 levels of training intensity
- Effective for teaching various commands
- Requires additional collars for training multiple dogs simultaneously
- Ensure charging above 32 Fahrenheit for efficiency
- Emphasizes high-quality materials over cheaper alternatives
- Warranty covers potential issues without questions
- Shock function should be used responsibly and in emergencies
9. Rechargeable Remote Dog Training Colla
View On Amazon
The Rechargeable Remote Dog Training Collar is a highly effective tool for correcting unwanted behaviors in dogs. It offers a variety of training modes, including beep, vibrating, and static stimulation, so you can customize the training to your dog’s individual needs.
The collar is also waterproof and has a long range, so you can train your dog both indoors and outdoors.
- Corrects excessive barking, leash pulling, or chewing
- 3 training modes: static stimulation, vibration, and standard tone mode
- Helps regain control of stubborn dogs through adjustable safe static commands
- Simple operation with large behavioral correction buttons on the wireless remote
- Perfect for indoor or outdoor use with advanced THROUGH-WALL technology
- Working range up to 330 yards for training at home or in the park
- May not be suitable for all dogs
- Some users report that the collar is uncomfortable for their dogs
- The price is higher than some other training collars
10. Garmin PRO 550 Plus Handheld
View On Amazon
Garmin PRO 550 Plus Handheld is a high-performance dog training and tracking device. It offers 18 levels of stimulation, allowing you to customize the training for each dog. It also includes options for continuous and momentary stimulation, tone, and vibration.
With built-in GPS and GLONASS satellite reception, it ensures precise location accuracy.
- 2.5-second update rate for faster location tracking
- Customize training for each dog with 18 levels of stimulation
- Options for continuous and momentary stimulation, tone, and vibration
- Built-in display with GPS and GLONASS satellite reception
- Directional tracking to locate dogs’ direction and distance
- May be too expensive for some users
- Requires a subscription for some features
Understanding How Remote Dog Training Collars Work
A remote dog training collar consists of:
- Handheld transmitter
- Collar receiver
- Collar probes
The transmitter sets stimuli type and intensity, sending a radio signal to the collar receiver. The collar probes deliver the stimulation to the dog, with options for tone, vibration, and static stimulation.
- Importance of snug fit for effective contact
- Collar fit ensures proper functioning and comfort for the dog
- Tone, vibration, and static stimulation options
- Virtual fencing technology
- GPS tracking
Popular brands of remote dog training collars include:
- Pet Resolve
- Waterproof Remote Dog Training Collar
- Rechargeable Remote Dog Training Collar
- Garmin PRO 550 Plus Handheld
Exploring Popular Dog Training Collar Brands
Now that you know how remote dog training collars work, let’s explore some of the most popular brands on the market.
Some of the top brands include:
These brands offer a variety of features and price points, so you can find the perfect collar for your needs.
Addressing Concerns About Shock Collars
You’ve probably heard the horror stories about shock collars, but you’re also aware of how effective they can be. The truth is, shock collars aren’t designed to harm your dog. In fact, they’re not a form of punishment at all.
They’re simply a tool that can be used to train your dog in a humane and effective way.
Shock collars are used by professionals all over the world to train dogs of all breeds and sizes. They’re effective for training a wide range of behaviors, including barking, leash pulling, and aggression.
However, it’s important to use shock collars with caution. You should always read the instructions carefully and follow the manufacturer’s guidelines. You should also only use the collar on a dog that you know well and that you trust.
If you’re considering using a shock collar, be sure to do your research and talk to your veterinarian or a certified dog trainer.
Assessing the Effectiveness of Remote Dog Training Collars
With concerns about shock collars addressed, let’s discuss the effectiveness of remote dog training collars.
- Effective for off-leash training. Remote dog training collars can help you train your dog to come when called, stay in a certain area, and avoid distractions.
- Effective for different breeds. Remote dog training collars can be used with dogs of all sizes and breeds.
- Effective for different training goals. Remote dog training collars can be used to train your dog for a variety of tasks, including obedience, hunting, and agility.
Potential side effects. Remote dog training collars can cause side effects such as skin irritation, pain, and fear.
Ethical considerations. Some people believe that remote dog training collars are cruel and inhumane.
Key Considerations Before Buying a Dog Training Collar
When choosing a dog training collar, it’s important to consider:
- The proper fit for your dog
- The type of stimulation you want to use
- The training techniques you’ll employ
A properly fitted collar will be comfortable for your dog and effective at delivering the desired stimulation. The type of stimulation you choose will depend on your dog’s individual needs and preferences.
And the training techniques you use will help your dog learn the desired behaviors.
Proper Fit for Effectiveness
In order for a remote dog training collar to be effective, it must fit your dog properly.
A snug fit will prevent slippage and discomfort, while also ensuring proper contact for stimulation effectiveness.
You may need to adjust the collar as your dog grows, so it’s important to choose one that’s made of a durable material that will last for long-term use.
|Breed of Dog
|Small to medium breeds
|Medium to large breeds
Stimulation Type Considerations
When choosing a dog training collar, you’ll need to consider the different stimulation types available.
It’s important to choose the right type of stimulation for your dog and training goals.
Training Techniques’ Impact
In addition to the stimulation type, the training techniques you use will also impact the effectiveness of your dog training collar.
- Positive reinforcement is the most effective training method, as it rewards desired behaviors.
- Negative reinforcement can be effective in some cases, but it’s important to use it sparingly.
- Marker training and clicker training are both effective training methods that can be used with a dog training collar.
- The ethical concerns and humane training considerations of using a dog training collar should be carefully evaluated before making a purchase.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are the different types of dog training collars?
There are many different types of dog training collars, each with its own unique features and benefits.
Some of the most popular types include:
- Shock collars
- Vibration collars
- Bark collars
You can learn more about each type of collar and how to choose the right one for your dog by reading our comprehensive guide.
How do I choose the right dog training collar for my dog?
Want to choose the right dog training collar for your furry friend? Consider your dog’s size, breed, and behavior to find the most effective and humane option.
How do I use a dog training collar correctly?
To use a dog training collar correctly, start by:
- Introducing it to your dog gradually and in a positive way.
- Using the collar to reward good behavior and discourage bad behavior.
- Be sure to use the collar consistently and only when necessary.
What are the potential risks of using a dog training collar?
While shock collars can be effective in training dogs, there are potential risks to consider, such as fear, anxiety, and aggression.
One study found that 23% of dogs showed signs of stress after being shocked.
It’s important to use shock collars correctly and only as a last resort.
What are the benefits of using a dog training collar?
Dog training collars can help you train your dog with a variety of methods, including:
- Positive reinforcement
- Negative reinforcement
Wondering which the best dog training collar is for your furry friend?
Our comprehensive guide has you covered.
So what’re you waiting for?
Start training your dog today!