This site is supported by our readers. We may earn a commission, at no cost to you, if you purchase through links.
Are you the proud parent of a Puggle? These lovable crossbreeds are known for their positive temperaments and cuddly nature. But they can also be picky eaters, so it’s important to choose only the best dog food for puggles to keep them healthy and happy.
With hundreds of options out there, though, how do you know which one is right? Fear not! We’ve taken care of all that hard work by researching the top 10 picks in this guide just for your pup.
Read on to learn more about understanding what dietary needs your pooch has as well as tips on choosing ingredients and meal types that will suit him or her perfectly!
Table Of Contents
- Key Takeaways
- Top 10 Best Dog Foods for Puggles
- 1. Wellness Small Breed Adult Dry Dog Food
- 2. Holistic Select Adult Puppy Dry Dog Food
- 3. Nulo Freestyle Senior Trout Sweet Potato Dog Food
- 4. Taste Wild High Prairie Dog Food
- 5. Purina Beneful Healthy Weight Chicken
- 6. Instinct Raw Boost Small Breed Chicken Dog Food
- 7. Natures Recipe Grain Free Chicken Wet Dog Food
- 8. Orijen Regional Red Dog Food
- 9. Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch Dog Food
- 10. Blue Buffalo Basics Turkey Potato Dog Food
- Understanding Puggle Dietary Needs
- Choosing the Right Ingredients for Puggles
- Different Meal Types for Puggles
- Additional Tips for Choosing the Best Food for Puggles
- Wellness Small Breed Adult Dry Dog Food is a top choice for Puggles, providing complete and balanced nutrition without GMOs or meat by-products.
- Holistic Select Adult Puppy Dry Dog Food is recommended for picky eaters and dogs with allergies, as it improves appetite and relieves itching paws and ears.
- Nulo Freestyle Senior Trout Sweet Potato Dog Food is high in animal protein and supports hip and joint health, making it a good option for older Puggles.
- Taste of the Wild High Prairie Dog Food is another great choice, with real meat as the main ingredient and high protein content to support bone, joint, and muscle health.
Top 10 Best Dog Foods for Puggles
Are you looking for the best dog food for your Puggle? Look no further! We have compiled a list of the top 10 dog foods specifically tailored to meet the needs of this hybrid breed, including Wellness Small Breed Adult Dry Dog Food, Holistic Select Adult Puppy Dry Dog Food, Nulo Freestyle Senior Trout Sweet Potato Dog Food, Taste of the Wild High Prairie Dog Food, and more.
1. Wellness Small Breed Adult Dry Dog Food
View On Chewy
You can give your Puggle the complete and balanced nutrition they need with Wellness Small Breed Adult Dry Dog Food, a colorful kaleidoscope of premium proteins, fats, fiber, and antioxidants that will spark their energy levels like fireworks! It’s fortified with omega fatty acids to support immune system health, as well as glucosamine for joint health.
This grain-free dry food contains no GMOs, meat by-products, or artificial preservatives, so you can rest assured knowing only healthy ingredients are going into your pup’s body. Veterinarians recommend this product for improved digestive health, while customers report that their dogs enjoy it and have seen improvements in coat and skin health.
It also provides 23 essential vitamins and minerals, which helps ensure optimal growth for small breeds without any fillers or artificial flavors added in—only real ingredients from trusted sources around the world!
However, some picky eaters may not be fond of its taste, despite it being beneficial to all life stages, including puppies through adults, since it lacks poultry content, which certain dogs tend to find unappealing.
Additionally, transitioning may cause gastrointestinal issues due to its high animal protein content, so introducing it gradually is recommended when changing diets suddenly.
- Complete & balanced nutrition
- No GMOs or meat by-products
- Fortified with Omega fatty acids
- Glucosamine supports joint health
- Contains 23 essential vitamins & minerals
- Not suitable for all picky eaters
- Potential GI issues during the transition period
2. Holistic Select Adult Puppy Dry Dog Food
View On Chewy
Discover how Holistic Select Adult Puppy Dry Dog Food helps support your pup’s digestive health with its salmon, anchovy, and sardine recipe. This grain-free kibble is made in the USA with global ingredient sourcing and fortified with vitamins, minerals, omega fatty acids for skin and coat health, plus glucosamine to aid joint function.
Your dog will love this food as it has been formulated specifically for puppies of all sizes that please their palate too!
- Improves appetite in picky eaters
- Helps relieve itching paws & ears
- Dogs enjoy eating this food
- Recommended for dogs with allergies
- Lack of resealable mechanism on bag
- Can cause illness in some dogs
- Kibble size may be too large for some
3. Nulo Freestyle Senior Trout Sweet Potato Dog Food
View On Chewy
Nulo Freestyle Senior Trout Sweet Potato Dog Food is a grain-free meal for senior pups, packed with Glucosamine and Chondroitin to support healthy joints and L-Carnitine to boost metabolism. This premium food also contains pure probiotic strains for digestion, calcium and phosphorus for strong bones, as well as wholesome vegetables and fruits for immune health.
Dogs may experience gastrointestinal issues when switching to this food, so transitioning may be necessary. It’s available in a 26-pound bag made in the USA suitable for small, medium, or large breeds of all life stages.
- Contains high animal protein content
- Includes essential vitamins & minerals
- Supports hip & joint health
- Free from poultry by-products
- May cause digestive issues in some dogs
- Transitioning might be necessary
- Some dogs don’t like the taste
4. Taste Wild High Prairie Dog Food
View On Chewy
Taste of the Wild High Prairie is a grain-free, gluten-free formula designed to help your pup maintain lean muscles with its high protein content and real roasted bison and venison as its first ingredients.
This premium product also contains vitamins, minerals, and omega fatty acids for skin health support. It includes species-specific K9 Strain Proprietary Probiotics for digestive tract health support, antioxidants, and prebiotics for immune system aid.
It’s made in the USA by a family-owned brand that sources from various locations.
This food has been recommended for picky eaters or dogs with sensitive tummies due to its natural ingredients. However, there have been mixed reviews on flavor changes. Some customers report their pups not liking it after switching over, while others reported positive effects on reducing ear infections or improved stool quality with reduced gas and body odor in their pooches after transitioning into this food diet.
- Real meat as the #1 ingredient (roasted bison & venison)
- High protein content (32%)
- Supports bones, joints, and lean muscle
- Contains vitamins and minerals from fruits and superfoods
- Omega fatty acids to promote healthy skin
- Species-specific probiotic blend
- Flavor change could be offputting
- Some dogs experienced digestive issues upon transition
5. Purina Beneful Healthy Weight Chicken
View On Chewy
Purina Beneful Healthy Weight Chicken is a calorie-smart choice for small, medium, and large breeds with 25 grams of protein per cup. This premium dry dog food contains no artificial preservatives or flavors and provides balanced nutrition from 23 essential vitamins and minerals.
It’s made with farm-raised chicken as its first ingredient, along with real apples, carrots, and green beans.
This formula has been praised by owners for its taste and convenience in feeding their pup multiple times a day due to the size of the available bag (28 lbs.). It also provides great value when it comes to budgeting pet food expenses over time.
However, some dogs have rejected this particular kibble, which means that transitioning may be necessary if you plan on introducing Purina Beneful into your canine’s diet regime or replacing another brand altogether.
- Dogs love the taste
- Suitable for all breed sizes & adult lifestages
- Great value & convenient auto-ship option
- Not liked by all dogs
- Large bag size inconvenient for some
6. Instinct Raw Boost Small Breed Chicken Dog Food
View On Chewy
Instinct Raw Boost Small Breed Chicken Dog Food offers boosted nutrition for small breeds with high-protein kibble and freeze-dried raw pieces to support lean muscles, digestive health, skin and coat, and a healthy immune system.
With cage-free chicken as the first ingredient, it also contains calcium for strong bones, phosphorus for vital organs, glucosamine and chondroitin to improve joint health, probiotics to aid digestion, and omegas 3 and 6 fatty acids that nourish the skin and coat from within.
It’s made in the USA without grains, potato, corn, wheat, soy, by-product meal, artificial colors, or preservatives, so you can trust its quality ingredients. Customers report that their dogs love the flavor of this food, but some have noted inconsistencies with what is listed on the package versus what is actually contained inside after opening it up.
There were also occasional complaints about the price point, but overall, customers are pleased with Instinct Raw Boost’s benefits, such as improved energy levels, balanced weight management, better digestion, healthier coats, along with other positive effects of increased hydration and easier stool pickups.
- High animal protein kibble plus freeze-dried raw meat pieces
- Cage-free chicken as the first ingredient
- Contains calcium, phosphorus, glucosamine, and chondroitin for optimal bone health and joint function
- Expensive compared to other dog foods
7. Natures Recipe Grain Free Chicken Wet Dog Food
View On Chewy
Natures Recipe Grain Free Chicken Wet Dog Food is perfect for adult puggles needing a nutritious meal with high-quality, globally-sourced ingredients.
It’s grain-free recipe also contains sweet potatoes and pumpkin, which are fortified with vitamins and minerals that provide complete nutrition for adult dogs. Natures Recipe is free of corn, wheat, poultry by-product meal, artificial flavors, or preservatives, making it suitable even for those with allergies or sensitivities.
The convenient packaging makes feeding easy, while users appreciate its affordability compared to other brands on the market. However, there have been some concerns raised about recent formula changes, leading some larger breeds not getting enough from one package size alone due to portion sizes too small in comparison.
- Features real chicken as the first ingredient
- No corn, wheat, soy, dairy, eggs, artificial flavors, or preservatives
- Fortified with vitamins & minerals
- Suitable for all breeds
- Affordable pricing
- Recent formula changes may affect larger breed dogs
- Portion size can be too small
8. Orijen Regional Red Dog Food
View On Chewy
Orijen Regional Red Dog Food is packed with premium proteins and wholesome ingredients for all life stages of small and medium breeds. It’s made in the USA from various sources around the world. This high protein grain-free kibble contains up to 85% animal protein along with WholePrey inclusions like nourishing organs.
It’s also free from poultry, corn, wheat, and soy, so your pup can benefit from balanced nutrition without any artificial additives or preservatives.
Vitamin E & C support immune health, while omega 6 & 3 fatty acids promote a healthy skin and coat.
- High-quality ingredients sourced responsibly
- No poultry byproducts or artificial flavors/preservatives
- Supports immune system function & promotes lean muscle growth
- Contains Omega Fatty Acids for Skin/Coat Health
- Some dogs may experience digestive issues when transitioning to this food
- Packaging may not be easily sealable
- Mixed reviews regarding dogs’ preferences
9. Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch Dog Food
View On Chewy
Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch Dog Food is packed with high-quality proteins like herring meal, salmon meal, and whitefish meal for muscle support, along with omega fatty acids to keep your pup’s coat shiny and skin healthy.
Formulated without grains or gluten, it also contains L-Carnitine, which helps promote fat burning and lean muscles. Natural fibers from vegetables and fruits provide digestibility, while vitamins E & C offer antioxidants.
Suitable for all breeds of adult dogs, this 12.5-pound bag is made in the USA using ingredients sourced from various locations across the country.
- High protein levels from herring, salmon, and whitefish meals.
- Natural fibers from peas, apples, blueberries, carrots, spinach, cranberries, etc., help digestion.
- Grain-free formula containing no wheat, corn, soy, gluten, poultry by-product, artificial flavors, preservatives, etc., suitable even for sensitive tummies.
- Enriched with Vitamins & minerals plus Omega 6 & 3 fatty acids, promoting a healthier coat.
- Some dogs experienced digestive upset, loose stools, and refusal to eat due to a change in ingredient proportions, particularly excessive pea protein content.
- Quality concerns about potential impact on health.
- One case of severe digestive issues and bloody diarrhea reported.
10. Blue Buffalo Basics Turkey Potato Dog Food
View On Chewy
Blue Buffalo Basics Turkey Potato Dog Food offers a balanced blend of protein and carbs to meet the nutritional needs of small breed pups. Featuring real turkey as its first ingredient, it is free from chicken or beef, corn, wheat, soy, dairy, eggs, artificial flavors, and preservatives.
Infused with omega-3s and 6s for skin and coat health, as well as vitamins E & C for antioxidant support, this food is sure to make your pooch happy while keeping them healthy!
With a creamy, paste-like consistency, reviews are mixed regarding dogs’ preferences. While some report that their pup enjoys the taste, others have found it unpalatable. One customer said that after switching their dog had diarrhea & vomiting episodes, though other customers reported positive results in terms of improved digestion & skin condition when using this product.
Reviews on Chewy are generally positive regarding product quality and delivery speed, giving us peace of mind knowing our pet will get what they need fast!
- Balanced protein/carbohydrates for smaller breeds
- Contains omega 3/6 fatty acids
- Positive feedback on helping dogs with sensitive tummies
- Some variation in consistency reported (runny/mushy)
- Mixed reviews – not all dogs enjoy taste
- Possible negative reaction such as upset stomach
Understanding Puggle Dietary Needs
It’s essential to understand your Puggle’s dietary needs – from age-specific nutrition to allergies and common health risks – so that you can make informed food choices for them. Young puppies need higher amounts of protein for proper growth, while adults and seniors require balanced nutrition.
Allergies are a common issue in Puggles, with triggers including gluten, soy, eggs, and dairy. It’s important to consider ingredients when selecting the right food. Other health risks such as hypothyroidism may affect their diet too.
Consulting your vet is always recommended before making any changes or adjustments to ensure they get the best possible care based on individual circumstances.
Vegetables, fruits, and proteins should be included in Puggle meals alongside grains, which should be avoided at all costs. Due consideration must also be given when selecting wet or dry foods depending on your pup’s preference along with hydration habits.
With these considerations taken into account, you will have made an informed decision ensuring optimal nourishment for every stage of life throughout their lifespan, ranging from 10-15 years.
Choosing the Right Ingredients for Puggles
Protein is an essential part of your Puggle’s diet. Knowing which sources to include in their food can be tricky, but it doesn’t have to be. This guide looks at the best protein sources for Puggles and how they can benefit nutritionally from them.
Protein sources for Puggles
When considering the dietary needs of your Puggle, it’s important to choose a protein source that meets their age-specific requirements. Opt for high-quality proteins such as chicken, salmon, turkey, and beef with added omega-6 fatty acids.
Allergy management is essential, so look out for common allergens such as wheat gluten or soybean meal in dog food ingredients list before making a purchase decision.
Age-specific nutrition should be taken into account when selecting the right diet. Puppies need more protein compared to adults, while senior dogs require balanced diets with fewer calories. Additionally, higher levels of antioxidants and glucosamine/chondroitin sulfate supplementation may be needed for senior dogs.
Always consult your veterinarian for personalized guidance regarding the best food choices according to breed size, activity level, and medical history. They can also provide advice on portion control and feeding frequency guidelines tailored specifically to meet individual needs.
Avoiding common allergens
To ensure optimal health for your Puggle, it’s important to avoid common allergens in their diet, such as gluten, soy, eggs, and dairy. Allergy management starts with ingredient avoidance. Look for hypoallergenic options that are free of these ingredients.
If you’re unsure if the food contains any potential allergens, consider allergy testing before feeding your pup a new meal.
Grain-free dog food is usually a safe bet since it does not contain wheat or corn, which can be triggers for allergies in some dogs.
Considering Puggle’s age
Take into account your Puggle’s age when selecting a food to ensure their dietary needs are met. For puppies, the focus should be on proteins and calcium for growth. Adult dogs require balanced nutrition.
Senior Puggles may need adjustments in protein and fat levels, as well as specific ingredients for joint health issues like hip dysplasia or arthritis.
Dogs with allergies will benefit from an elimination diet under vet supervision. It is important to choose ingredient choices that are free of common allergens such as eggs, dairy, wheat, soy, and gluten.
Consulting with a veterinarian ensures individualized advice based on breed-specific traits. This includes dental problems or weight management concerns due to hypothyroidism or obesity that might affect nutrition requirements.
Make sure you choose the right food for your pup’s life stage!
Different Meal Types for Puggles
Puggles can benefit from a variety of meal types, such as wet and dry food, with an estimated 83% of pet owners feeding their dogs both. Wet food provides moisture to keep your pup hydrated while providing essential nutrients for growth and energy.
Dry kibble is also important for dental hygiene since it helps remove plaque buildup on teeth. Allergies should be taken into account when selecting ingredients for Puggles’ meals; gluten-free foods are often recommended because they lack potential allergens like soy, eggs, or dairy products.
Age-specific needs must also be considered. Puppies require more protein than adults or seniors in order to grow properly. Ingredient selection plays an important role in choosing the right dog food type for your pup’s age group.
Consulting a vet before making any dietary changes is always advised so that you can make sure you are giving your Puggle the best quality nutrition possible based on their specific needs and preferences!
Additional Tips for Choosing the Best Food for Puggles
Considering the age-specific dietary needs, allergies, and common health risks of Puggles, it is important to consult a vet before making any changes to their diet. Addressing these issues effectively requires an understanding of what ingredients are best suited for them so that they can receive balanced nutrition.
Age-specific dietary needs
No matter your Puggle’s age, you must consider their specific dietary needs to ensure they get the nutrition they need. Puppies require high protein content for growth and development, whereas adults and seniors should have a balanced diet containing omega-3 fatty acids and eye health nutrients.
Additionally, allergy management tips are important for Puggles with sensitive stomachs. When choosing dog food for Puggles of any age group, make sure to consult with a vet on ingredient choices. Select grain-free options if allergies are present and provide senior dog food when needed.
To ensure your Puggle’s health, it is important to monitor their weight regularly. You can choose between wet or dry food based on their preference. Remember to focus on balance over variety in meals and use fresh ingredients as much as possible.
Addressing allergies effectively
It’s essential to take your Puggle’s allergies into account when finding the perfect food for them, with careful consideration of ingredients and meal types to ensure a happy pup!
Start by consulting a vet about dietary adjustments based on age-related needs and any existing health conditions. Choose dog foods free from artificial flavors, fillers, or preservatives that are also low in allergens like gluten or soy.
Use an elimination diet if needed to identify which ingredient is causing allergic reactions. Select meals tailored for sensitive stomachs along with treats without common allergen triggers.
With proper care and allergy management through informed ingredient selection, you can help keep your beloved Puggle healthy!
Importance of consulting vet
Consulting your vet regarding the dietary needs of your Puggle is always a smart move. Vets are experts in health maintenance and can provide personalized advice on food, portion control, and the recommended daily amount for optimal nutrition.
They also offer guidance on allergy management by suggesting elimination diets or diet adjustments to address any sensitivities or intolerances.
Choosing the right food for your Puggle is like finding the missing piece of the puzzle. With a lifespan of 10 to 15 years, it’s essential to ensure that your Puggle is getting the best nutrition for their age, allergies, and health risks.
By following the tips in this article, such as familiarizing yourself with the Puggle breed’s characteristics and nutritional needs, avoiding grains and fillers, and tailoring meals based on age and preferences, you can make sure that your pup is getting the best nutrition for their individual needs.
With the top 10 picks for Puggle food, you can rest assured that your pup is getting the best in terms of quality ingredients and nutrition.