This site is supported by our readers. We may earn a commission, at no cost to you, if you purchase through links.
Are you in the market for the best dog food for golden retrievers? You’re not alone: according to a recent survey by Pet Food Industry Magazine, golden retrievers are America’s third most popular breed.
But while adult goldens benefit from eating better quality brands, choosing the right food is critical when it comes to your puppy. If they’re fed a diet that contains too much calcium, they can develop crippling hip disease.
To keep this risk low and ensure proper growth, avoid switching recipes too soon. Golden retriever puppies don’t stop growing until 12-24 months of age! Keep reading our guide below to learn more about their nutritional needs and find out which foods will make your pup happy & healthy.
Table Of Contents
- Key Takeaways
- Top 10 Best Dog Food for Golden Retrievers
- 1. Wellness Large Breed Dog Food
- 2. Taste Wild Southwest Canyon Dog Food
- 3. Iams Adult Large Breed Chicken
- 4. Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken Dog Food
- 5. American Journey Large Breed Adult Chicken Sweet Potato Grain Free Dry Dog Food
- 6. Royal Canin Golden Retriever Puppy Dog Food
- 7. Eagle Pack Large Breed Adult Dog Food
- 8. Diamond Naturals Large Breed Adult Dog Food
- 9. Holistic Select Senior Chicken Lentils Dry Dog Food
- 10. Chicken Soup Soul Large Breed Dog Food
- Do Golden Retrievers Have Special Dietary Needs?
- What to Look for in the Best Dog Food for Golden Retrievers
- Are Grain-Free Diets Safe for Golden Retrievers?
- Nutritional Needs for Golden Retrievers
- Golden Retrievers require special dietary care throughout their life stages.
- Transitioning to a new dog food should be done gradually.
- Choosing the right food is crucial for Golden Retriever puppies to avoid hip disease.
- Taurine is important for heart health in Golden Retrievers.
Top 10 Best Dog Food for Golden Retrievers
When it comes to finding the best dog food for Golden Retrievers, you can’t go wrong with Wellness Large Breed Dog Food, Taste of the Wild Southwest Canyon Dog Food, Iams Adult Large Breed Chicken, and Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken Dog Food among others.
These top 10 dog food brands provide excellent nutrition tailored to the specific needs of this breed, such as omega fatty acids for skin and coat health, glucosamine and chondroitin for joint support, or prebiotics and probiotics for digestive health.
1. Wellness Large Breed Dog Food
View On Chewy
You can trust Wellness Large Breed Dog Food to give your pup the nutrition they need for whole-body support and improved energy levels, without having to worry about GMOs, fillers, or artificial preservatives.
This food is formulated with omega fatty acids, antioxidants, glucosamine, and probiotics, which help boost their immune system while promoting healthy skin and coat.
Additionally, this food contains premium proteins that provide large breed dogs with the necessary nutrients to keep them active, as well as wholesome grains that aid in joint health support. Some users reported positive changes in their dog’s digestion along with better weight management after switching over from other brands of dog food.
However, some customers have experienced issues such as vomiting or upset stomachs due to abrupt switches of diet.
The garlic powder included may be potentially poisonous, so it should be used sparingly if at all when feeding this kibble brand.
Despite these drawbacks, reviews on Chewy suggest most dogs find the taste agreeable, making it a great option overall – plus, its competitive price point makes it even more attractive!
- No meat byproducts/fillers/artificial preservatives
- Contains omega fatty acids, antioxidants, glucosamine & probiotics
- Promotes a strong immune system & healthy skin & coat
- Potentially poisonous ingredients (garlic powder)
- Reports of spoilage before processing
- Abrupt switch can cause vomiting or upset stomach
2. Taste Wild Southwest Canyon Dog Food
View On Chewy
Experience the deliciousness of Taste Wild Southwest Canyon Dog Food, packed with essential nutrients for your furry friend’s health and wellbeing. This premium dog food is made in the USA by a family-owned brand, containing real meat as its first ingredient.
It also includes omega fatty acids to promote healthy skin and coat, plus K9 Strain Proprietary Probiotics to support digestive health and immunity. Vitamins from fruits and superfoods are added for extra nutrition while being grain-free so it can be enjoyed even by dogs with allergies or sensitivities.
With positive reviews from breeders and owners alike, this food has been praised for its great taste that dogs love!
- Real meat as the #1 ingredient
- Enriched vitamins & minerals
- Omega fatty acids & probiotics
- Grain-free formula
- Mixed feedback on flavor preference
- Some batches had smaller kibble size than expected
3. Iams Adult Large Breed Chicken
View On Chewy
Iams Adult Large Breed Chicken offers premium-sourced protein to support strong muscles, joint health for active large breeds, and digestive and immune system benefits. This 30-pound package of canine nutrition is suitable for adult dogs over 50 pounds in size from a variety of breed types.
It contains real farm-raised chicken as the first ingredient along with vitamins and other minerals from fruits and vegetables. The food also boasts glucosamine, prebiotics, omega fatty acids for skin & coat health, as well as antioxidants to build a strong immune system.
This grain-inclusive diet has had mixed reviews since its introduction on the market several years ago. Some customers have noted issues with abrupt switches causing stomach problems, while others experienced success transitioning their pet away from other brands they previously fed them without issue.
Additionally, there was recently an increase in price, which may be off-putting depending on your budget constraints.
- Made With Real Farm-Raised Chicken As First Ingredient
- Contains Glucosamine For Joint Support
- Omega Fatty Acids For Skin And Coat Health
- Antioxidants To Build Strong Immune System
- Issues Arising From Abrupt Switching
- Price Increase Recently Implemented
- Mixed Reviews On Preference
- Complaints About Smaller Kibble Size
4. Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken Dog Food
View On Chewy
You’ll love the Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken Dog Food, packed with real chicken and wholesome grains for a delicious meal that’s full of nutrients to support an active lifestyle. Formulated without chicken by-product meals, corn, wheat, or soy, this food contains omega fatty acids from salmon oil to promote healthy skin and coat, as well as vitamins and minerals for overall health.
Its kibble size is also perfect for large breed dogs, making it ideal for adult Golden Retrievers over 50 pounds.
Unfortunately, some owners have reported issues with abrupt switches causing stomach problems in their pups, while others mentioned dissatisfaction with quality control regarding moldy kibble before feeding time or smaller than expected pieces in recent batches.
Additionally, the price has increased since its release, which may put off more budget-conscious buyers who are used to cheaper alternatives but not willing to compromise on nutrition or taste.
- Made in USA using high-quality ingredients
- Contains Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids plus added antioxidants & vitamins
- Perfectly sized Kibble suitable for large breeds like Golden Retrievers
- Reported issues with Quality Control and Moldy Kibbles
- Significant Price Increase Since Release
- Some Dogs Refused To Eat The New Formula
5. American Journey Large Breed Adult Chicken Sweet Potato Grain Free Dry Dog Food
View On Chewy
American Journey’s Large Breed Adult Chicken Sweet Potato Grain Free Dry Dog Food is packed with nutrient-dense ingredients for a complete and balanced meal that’ll keep your four-legged friend healthy and active.
This formula contains natural fiber to aid in digestive health, plus glucosamine and chondroitin for joint support. It also has omega fatty acids to promote skin and coat health, as well as vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants for immune system strength.
The grain-free recipe features chicken as the primary protein source without corn or wheat fillers. However, it is produced in a facility that processes grains, so trace amounts may be present.
All things considered, this product offers an excellent balance of nutrition at competitive prices, which makes it popular amongst owners looking out for their large breed pup’s best interests.
- Balanced minerals & nutrients
- Omega fatty acids promote skin & coat health
- Natural fiber aids digestion
- Glucosamine & chondroitin help joints
- Produced in a facility that processes grains (trace amounts may be present)
- Quality control issues (moldy kibble)
6. Royal Canin Golden Retriever Puppy Dog Food
View On Chewy
Royal Canin’s Golden Retriever Puppy Dog Food is designed to provide tailored nutrition for purebred puppies, helping to reinforce their skin barrier and support digestive health. The kibble size has been specially formulated with a straighter muzzle shape and scissor bite in mind.
Natural fibers are included for improved digestion, while antioxidants and vitamin E work together to boost the puppy’s immune system. Omega-3 fatty acids help maintain a healthy coat, while glucosamine promotes joint growth during the pup’s formative months of development.
The majority of customer reviews have been extremely positive across various platforms such as Chewy and Amazon. Breeders particularly praise its effectiveness at resolving digestive issues in puppies that had previously not responded well to other food options available on the market today.
Many customers report successful transitions from other brands due to Royal Canin’s superior results when it comes to both puppy palatability – dogs seem very fond of this particular flavor! – as well as stool quality improvement after transitioning onto this dog food.
- Designed specifically with Golden Retrievers’ needs in mind
- Includes natural fibers for improved digestion
- Antioxidants & Vitamin E boost immunity
- Rich omega 3 fatty acids promote healthy coats
- More expensive than some alternatives
- Not grain free (contains wheat)
7. Eagle Pack Large Breed Adult Dog Food
View On Chewy
Eagle Pack’s Large Breed Adult Dog Food is packed with all the essential nutrients to keep your pup healthy, plus it comes with an added bonus of joint support from glucosamine – just like having two birds in one stone!
Formulated for large and giant breed dogs over 50 pounds, this food contains no corn, wheat, or meat by-products. It also doesn’t have any artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. The chicken and pork recipe is made in the USA, so you can be sure that your furry friend’s health isn’t compromised during production.
However, some customers experienced abrupt switches causing stomach problems in their dogs when transitioning onto this food. Others noted a price increase from the $30-$40 range up to the $70s recently, as well as mixed reviews on preference amongst different breeds of pooches out there.
Additionally, there were complaints about smaller kibble size and stomach upset being reported more frequently than usual lately too.
- Contains glucosamine for joint health
- Omega fatty acids for skin & coat health
- Antioxidants boost immune system
- No Corn/Wheat/Meat Byproduct/Artificial Colors & Flavors
- Made In USA
- Abrupt transitions may cause gastric issues
- Price increase noticed
- Mixed reviews on preference
- Smaller kibble size & reports of Stomach Upset
8. Diamond Naturals Large Breed Adult Dog Food
View On Chewy
Diamond Naturals Large Breed Adult Dog Food offers a specially formulated blend of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates for large breed health and lean body. The kibble is designed to provide balanced minerals, glucosamine, and chondroitin for joint support, as well as natural fiber for digestive health.
With real cage-free chicken as the primary protein source, it provides vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants while avoiding corn, wheat, or soy ingredients that can be difficult to digest. It’s made in the USA by a family-owned company with no artificial colors or preservatives.
However, some customers have reported issues with quality control, so you should check your kibble before feeding, just in case! Generally, dogs find this food tasty and digestible, but there may be an adjustment period when switching from another brand due to its unique recipe profile.
- Specially formulated blend of proteins, fats, & carbs tailored specifically for large breeds
- Balanced minerals, glucosamine, & chondroitin help promote healthy joints
- Natural fibers aid digestion plus added vitamins, minerals, & antioxidants
- Made in the USA by a family-owned business without any artificial colors/preservatives
- Reports of quality control issues like moldy kibble
- Abrupt switch may cause stomach problems
- Price increase since last year
9. Holistic Select Senior Chicken Lentils Dry Dog Food
View On Chewy
For a senior-friendly meal that your pup will love, Holistic Select Senior Chicken Lentils Dry Dog Food is sure to hit the spot with its delicious taste and health-boosting benefits. Formulated with digestive support in mind, this grain-free and gluten-free recipe contains essential vitamins along with omega fatty acids for skin and coat health.
Antioxidants, glucosamine, probiotics, and taurine are also included to protect heart health as well as help maintain strong joints.
Customers rave about their pooches’ improved energy levels after switching from other dog foods, while veterinarians approve of the nutritious ingredients found in each bag, making it an ideal choice for your precious golden retriever’s diet.
- Contains essential vitamins
- Omega fatty acids promote skin & coat care
- Glucosamine helps maintain joint strength
- Made in USA using global ingredient sourcing
- Tastes great according to customers
- Some reviews noted issues transitioning from other brands
- Recent batches may cause stomach upset
- Price increase since introduction
10. Chicken Soup Soul Large Breed Dog Food
View On Chewy
Try Chicken Soup Soul Large Breed Dog Food with real chicken, turkey, salmon, and duck for a nutritious meal that will help keep your large breed pup healthy and active. This recipe features prebiotic fiber from chicory root to aid in digestion, as well as glucosamine and chondroitin for joint support.
It also contains omega-3 and -6 fatty acids for healthy skin and coat, plus an array of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants from wholesome fruits such as spinach, carrots, blueberries, and apples, so you can feel confident you’re giving them the nutrition they need.
With no byproduct meals or artificial preservatives, it’s the perfect food choice if your pup has dietary sensitivities or allergies too! The 28lb pack is made in the United States with ingredients sourced globally, which ensures the freshness of every bag produced.
Customers have reported positive feedback about this dog food; however, some may not prefer its taste, while others note issues regarding abrupt switches causing stomach problems after using it over time.
- Made in the USA with global ingredient sourcing
- No byproduct meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives
- Real chicken, turkey, salmon, and duck provide lean muscles
- Prebiotic fiber aids digestive health
- Glucosamine and Chondroitin promote strong joints
- Omega-3s promote skin and coat health
- Fruits and vegetables provide an immune system boost
- Some dogs may not prefer the taste
- Change in recipe/manufacturer noted
- Abrupt switch can cause stomach upset
Do Golden Retrievers Have Special Dietary Needs?
As unique as they’re majestic, Golden Retrievers can have special dietary needs that require extra care and attention – like a diamond in the rough.
From puppies to seniors, good nutrition is essential for their health. Puppies need large breed puppy food with limited calcium intake to reduce hip disease risk. Adult dog food should focus on weight management while still providing adequate protein and fat levels.
Senior dogs benefit from tailored diets that promote joint health with additional glucosamine and omega fatty acids.
Allergies can be managed through limited-ingredient dog foods or grain-free options depending on the individual’s sensitivities.
What to Look for in the Best Dog Food for Golden Retrievers
When selecting a diet for your Golden Retriever, look for one that is tailored to their changing needs and offers key nutrients like protein, healthy fats, and complex carbohydrates. Taurine is important for heart health, while omega fatty acids are essential to maintain skin and coat condition.
Look at the ingredient list carefully when choosing a food. Higher quality ingredients should be listed first, such as real meat or fish instead of by-products or fillers. Additionally, you may want to consider formulations specifically designed with large breeds in mind to reduce the risk of obesity and hip dysplasia common in Golden Retrievers.
Feeding guidelines will vary based on age, so make sure you know how much food your dog needs throughout different life stages. Puppies require more calories compared with adults, but too much can cause skeletal issues, so take care not to go over recommended amounts from trusted brands such as Wellness CORE Large Breed or Taste Of The Wild Pacific Stream, which both provide high-quality nutrition without artificial flavors or preservatives.
Finally, supplements such as glucosamine chondroitin can help promote joint health if needed, along with probiotics and fibers during digestion for immune support.
Are Grain-Free Diets Safe for Golden Retrievers?
You may be wondering if grain-free diets are a safe option for your beloved Golden Retriever. Grain-free dog food is becoming increasingly popular, but there has been some debate about the health risks associated with these diets.
There are concerns that certain ingredient choices in grain-free foods could lead to canine nutrition problems and even serious health issues.
To understand better what’s at stake when it comes to feeding your Golden Retriever a grain-free diet, here are four points you should consider:
- The FDA Investigation into Grain-Free Diets
- Taurine Deficiency Concerns
- Nutritional Adequacy of Ingredients Used
- Benefits and Risks Associated With Feeding Your Dog A Grain-Free Diet.
It is important for pet owners to do their research before switching their dogs’ food, as not all products labeled grain-free provide complete nutritional value or appropriate levels of key nutrients such as taurine necessary for heart health maintenance.
Additionally, experts advise caution when considering any sudden changes in dietary plans without consulting veterinary advice first. This will ensure that potential nutritional deficiencies can be identified early on and managed properly over time through quality commercial feed options specifically formulated for golden retrievers’ needs or supplements tailored to address those individual requirements if needed.
Nutritional Needs for Golden Retrievers
Moving from the discussion on grain-free diets for Golden Retrievers, it’s important to understand their nutritional needs. As large breed dogs, they require a balanced diet of animal proteins and healthy fats, such as omega fatty acids, for skin and coat health.
Additionally, essential nutrients, including taurine, are needed to promote heart health in this breed. For puppies, special attention should be paid to prevent skeletal issues. Large breed puppy food options like Nutro Natural Choice or Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula provide whole body nutrition support.
Adult maintenance requires weight management, while senior care involves tailored diets with additional beneficial ingredients like fruits or vegetables.
Allergies can be managed by limited ingredient dog foods such as Canidae Pure Limited Ingredient and Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach. Hill’s Science Diet Perfect Weight is also effective at managing weight loss in overweight Golden Retrievers.
Additionally, a hip/joint supplement may help joint health support depending on individual needs.
From age considerations when selecting the best dog food option through tips on transitioning to new brands and ensuring proper feeding amounts, you’ll need all your knowledge when considering what nourishment might suit your four-legged friend the best!
It’s clear that choosing the right dog food for your Golden Retriever is an important decision. With so many options available, it can be overwhelming to find the best food for your pup.
The top 10 dog foods for Golden Retrievers listed here all provide excellent nutrition and health benefits for your pup. Each is made with high-quality ingredients, tailored to the needs of large breed dogs.
When selecting a food, consider your pup’s age and any special dietary needs, such as grain-free diets or those with added taurine or omega fatty acids. With the right nutrition, your Golden Retriever will stay happy and healthy for years to come.