This site is supported by our readers. We may earn a commission, at no cost to you, if you purchase through links.
Best dog leashes are a must-have. Even if your dog is perfectly untied, there are times when you need to keep him on a leash for safety reasons.
The leash is not only great for training purposes, but it is also an important safety tool for your dog and for others around you.
It may seem like nothing more than a simple cord with a hook on one end and a loop on the other, but real dog leashes can help save lives. It can be your own, your dog, or others.
Not to mention that keeping your dog in all but specified public areas is a legal requirement in many states.
The best dog leash should be sturdy enough to stand the test of time without fraying or breaking immediately. It should also have a buckle that attaches easily to your dog’s collar or harness and always snaps into place once you click it.
In this guide, we’re going to talk about the best dog leashes on the market, along with a buying guide. We will also give you some helpful answers to some of the frequently asked questions about dog leashes.
Table Of Contents
- The Best Dog Leashes (Quick Summary)
- Things To Consider For Getting The Best Dog Leash
- 10 Best Dog Leashes Of 2022
- 1. Baapet Mountain Climbing Rope Dog Leash
- 2. Leashboss 15 Foot Dog Leash
- 3. Paw Lifestyles Heavy Duty Dog Leash
- 4. Primal Pet Gear Dog Leash
- 5. Max And Neo Triple Handle Dog Leash
- 6. Pets Lovers Club Heavy Duty Dog Leash
- 7. Petsafe Nylon Dog Leash
- 8. Remington Coastal Pet Rope Leash
- 9. Blueberry Pet Classic Solid Color Dog Leash
- 10. U-pick Dual Dog Leash
- Training Your Dog With A Leash
- FAQs About Dog Leashes
The Best Dog Leashes (Quick Summary)
|Baapet Mountain Climbing Rope Dog Leash|
4.5 out of 5
|Leashboss 15 Foot Dog Leash|
4.5 out of 5
|Paw Lifestyles Heavy Duty Dog Leash|
5 out of 5
|Primal Pet Gear Dog Leash|
5 out of 5
|Max And Neo Triple Handle Dog Leash|
5 out of 5
|Pets Lovers Club Heavy Duty Dog Leash|
4.5 out of 5
|Petsafe Nylon Dog Leash|
4.5 out of 5
|Remington Coastal Pet Rope Leash|
5 out of 5
|Blueberry Pet Classic Solid Color Dog Leash|
4.5 out of 5
|U-pick Dual Dog Leash|
4.5 out of 5
Things To Consider For Getting The Best Dog Leash
There are many dog leashes on the market, so it is only understandable that you will struggle to find the right product. Fortunately, you can easily narrow down your choices by knowing what to look for in a dog leash. These things are actually what you need to consider.
Standard or retractable.
Most people walk their dogs on standard, fixed-length leashes. However, you can also buy retractable leashes that can be adjusted in length.
While you can lock them at a fixed length to walk on sidewalks or busy areas, your dog may roam further away from you at other times.
Retractable leashes are ideal when your dog often stays on a leash for the entire walk, but if you keep him on a leash for only 10 minutes to get to the dog park or walkway, a standard leash is probably a better choice.
Size (length and width)
Then you should consider the size depending on how big or small your dog is. There are two factors that can help you determine the correct leash size for your dog: length and width.
A shorter leash is ideal for training and safety purposes, while the long leash is ideal for distance training and allows your dog to roam without losing control of him. In the city, a 4-foot leash is often used to give dogs plenty of freedom while still keeping them close to their owner. Meanwhile, a leash about 6 feet long is ideal in suburban areas as there is more open space for the dogs to get around.
When walking your dog in the dark, reflective strips or stitching are a great way to increase your visibility. That said, they are not a must-have because you can buy other reflective or flashy devices to attach to your dog’s leash for walking at night.
Finally, you want to choose the correct clip style. It has to be strong and reliable enough because even the strongest leash out there is still useless if it isn’t left on the collar. As such, you need to choose a line that comes with a good quality clip. And since the leash can get wet, choosing a brass or stainless steel clip is ideal for preventing corrosion.
Also, the clip should be able to withstand a certain amount of force as there are instances when your dog pulls aggressively.
10 Best Dog Leashes Of 2022
We’ve reviewed dozens of dog leashes to identify the best of the best. We’ve focused on a range of features, including strength, length, material, ease of use, and average customer reviews.
Let’s take a look at our top picks.
1. Baapet Mountain Climbing Rope Dog Leash
Fully capable of supporting up to 1,000 pounds of pulling power, the Phydeaux’s Mountain Climbing Dog Leash Rope prides itself on a lightweight yet super durable and sturdy construction that can be used even for oversized dog breeds like Saint Bernards and Great Danes. The Phydeaux is available in 2 lengths of 4 and 6 feet and 12 different colors.
Each variant comes with a padded handle that feels soft and soft. The mountain cord is approximately 2.5 cm thick, which gives you excellent durability and optimal control over your pet’s movements. However, since it doesn’t include a secondary handle for safety and traffic purposes, you may want to buy both the four and 6-foot models. If you get 2, you get a 15% discount on your purchase. And if you want to save more, you can buy an optional nylon collar to get a 20% discount on your purchase.
- Extra durable and extra-thick rope
- Tested to withstand 1000 pounds of pulling power
- Fully padded handles
- Great deals
- 1-year money-back return guarantee
2. Leashboss 15 Foot Dog Leash
Let’s talk about the Leashboss 15 Foot Dog Leash. This sturdy choice is made from 2.5cm wide nylon, which is strong enough to carry heavy dogs, even those that pull a lot, and extremely durable. The super-soft padded handle is a huge plus for the walker.
The 15-foot length may seem a bit exaggerated to some, but it’s great for dogs that can’t be walked off the leash, or when walking in areas where a leash is needed as it will dog will give freedom to explore at her own pace. In addition, it has a strong D-ring directly on the handle so you can loop the leash through the ring on your dog’s collar or harness and attach the clip on the leash to the D-ring next to the handle so that the length of the leash. If you want, you can use the D-ring to hold poo bags, so they are there when you need them.
The Leashboss 15 Foot Dog Leash will cost you just under $ 25, making it a bit pricey for a leash. However, it’s definitely worth splashing around!
- Two-color options
- The shorter 10-foot option also available
- Strong and well built
3. Paw Lifestyles Heavy Duty Dog Leash
Strong and durable, this 7ft long heavy duty leash from Paw Lifestyles is the leash you need if you enjoy walking your dog at night. It has a luminous reflective wire that helps you and your dog stay visible at night.
It is also marketed as almost 2x thicker than most dog leashes on the market. It is made of nylon and comes with padded handles to give you comfortable and complete control.
- Strong and durable thanks to the woven nylon material
- Comes with a reflective thread that provides visibility at night
- Provides maximum comfort thanks to the neoprene padded handles
4. Primal Pet Gear Dog Leash
Specially designed for medium and large street dogs, the Primal Pet Gear dog leash is a 6-foot long leash made of sturdy 1-inch thick nylon material, perfect for driving really powerful puppies. The Primal comes with two padded handles for versatility in use. It has been carefully designed to provide optimal comfort even when your dog pulls on the rope at the other end.
A handle is about a foot away from the 2-inch heavy-duty lobster clip, allowing optimal control during training and navigation in traffic. The other padded handle is located at the end of the 6m dog leash rope, the length of which is ideal for giving your dog the freedom to roam and explore the environment, but you remain in complete control.
Now all you need is an equally sturdy and sturdy harness or collar, and the Primal should be an excellent tool, both for training purposes and to keep your pet running safely.
- Double-length training and safety lanyard
- Padded handles with dual comfort
- Extra thick and sturdy lanyard
- Heavy-duty hardware
- 1-year replacement warranty
5. Max And Neo Triple Handle Dog Leash
While it couldn’t beat our top pick, the Max and Neo Triple Handle Dog Leash comes in second. This strong leash is available in four bold colors and has reflective stitching for nighttime visibility.
This line is 6 feet long in total, with additional handles at 4 feet and 1.5 feet. The extra handles are ideal for times when you need to keep your dog around, such as when walking down a narrow sidewalk next to a busy road.
Made from a thick yet soft nylon leash, this 1-inch wide leash is just as strong and durable as the top brands. Like our top pick, it has a D-ring next to the handle to attach poop bags for easy access.
The Max and Neo Triple Handle dog leash costs $ 17, which is a reasonable price considering the quality.
- Soft padded neoprene handles
- Extra handles are useful for dogs that pull
- Money from each sale goes to dog charities
6. Pets Lovers Club Heavy Duty Dog Leash
Few can match the durability and strength that this 6ft heavy line from Pets Lovers Club can offer, which is why it made it onto this list. It has a double layer design, which makes it 2x stronger compared to your typical nylon leash. It’s also incredibly comfortable, thanks to the padded handle that protects you from leash burns.
- Comes with five different color options
- Prevents burning of the leash with its padded handle
- Features a double layer construction making it extremely strong and durable
7. Petsafe Nylon Dog Leash
Featuring a thicker dog leash rope and cushioned neoprene handles in two different positions, the Pet Safe Heavy Duty dog leash is a great tool for training or even just walking your dog. The double handles provide more control. It comes with reflective stitching to increase the visibility of the leash in the dark and in dimly lit environments. If you decide to run or jog in the evening, others will definitely see you and your dog. The Pet Safe dog leash is about 3 millimeters thick and comes with a width of about one centimeter. The webbed nylon construction gives it exceptional strength and weather resistance. But the real gem in the Pet Safe is the 7-foot length, giving your street dog more freedom of movement. A 2-inch heavy-duty metal clip has been added, as well as a D-ring that you can use as an attachment for your training clicker or even a poo bag.
- Extra strong and extra long dog leash
- Dual cushioned neoprene handles
- D-ring attachment
- Heavy-duty hardware
- Money-back guarantee
8. Remington Coastal Pet Rope Leash
If you’re looking for a quality dog leash on a budget, look no further than the Remington Coastal Pet Rope Leash. With a retail price of less than $ 12, you don’t have to break open the piggy bank to pay for one of these lines. As long as you don’t mind using a leash that is simple and straightforward, it will serve you well.
This is a standard 6-foot leash made from soft, strong braided nylon with a single handle at the end—the rotatable click aids in turning and tangling when walking.
Customers report that it is well made, strong enough to hold large dogs, and more chew resistant than many other leashes, which is great when walking playful puppies.
It is available in only one color, a classic olive green that looks great with most collars or harnesses.
- 1.8 meters long
- Braided rope construction
- Strong and durable
9. Blueberry Pet Classic Solid Color Dog Leash
This classic dog leash from Blueberry Pet is available in 19 different colors to choose from, giving you a very wide variety of options. Apart from that, it is made of nylon for improved durability.
Although it is sold as a single product, there are actually matching collars and hooks to complement the look. While it has a fairly classic and simple design, you will be surprised to discover how durable and comfortable this leash can be.
- There are over 12 colors to choose from
- It comes in a simple yet durable design
10. U-pick Dual Dog Leash
If you have two dogs, it may not be the most practical solution to walk them on two leads. The Dual Dog Leash from U-Pick, on the other hand, is perfect because you can easily operate both your pets with just one hand. The strap is made of nylon and bungee, which guarantees strength and durability, while the handle is softly lined for a comfortable yet firm control. The leash also features a unique bungee design that helps absorb high-speed pull shocks from your dog, making it ideal for highly energetic canines. The most convenient is that thanks to a 360 ° rotatable leash attachment, you do not have to worry that the line will be completely reversed: this attachment allows your pets to move around you without tangling or turning the line. Finally, to make night walks safer, the U-Pick Leash has reflective stitching.
Before buying this leash firmly, make sure your dog’s total weight is no more than 110 pounds (in which case the manufacturer suggests buying a steel leash).
- Double dog leash, made of 1000D nylon and bungee
- The soft padded handle feels comfortable
- Bungee design absorbs shock from quick movements
- No tangles, 360 rotatable leash attachment
- Reflective seams for safe night walks
Training Your Dog With A Leash
Buying a dog leash is one thing. It is definitely a different matter to teach your dog to walk on a leash. As with all dog training activities, it is important to go step by step and get your cue from your dog yourself. Immersive things can only make training more difficult for your pet and more frustrating for you. Here’s how to train your dog with a leash.
- Always familiarize your pet with his leash and collar first. You do not have to enter it yet. Just leave it on the floor so that your pet can play with it from time to time until it accepts it as an ordinary thing. You can then wear the collar around his neck.
- Teach your pet to respond to a verbal or audio tone. This is where a clicker can come in handy. In addition, the addition of some treats can help reinforce cue teachings.
- Seduce your pet to come to you. As it moves towards you, go back a few steps before giving something tasty. By then, it should already be wearing both the collar and the leash. The point is to give the verbal or sound tip, wait for it to start walking towards you, and start walking a few paces. This means that your pet is already there (walking with you).
- Practice this activity in your home with little distraction until it is already comfortable (walking with the leash on. Take it out gradually. First in the backyard, then the next block, the neighborhood), and so on and so forth. Make sure to go slow with every progress. Also, don’t forget to give praise and treats.
FAQs About Dog Leashes
Why do dogs need a leash?
Without a leash, a dog can walk around anywhere, which is not safe for your dog or the people around you. A leash prevents your dog from running down the road, eating leftover food from the sidewalk, and approaching dogs or people who don’t want to be approached.
Can dog leashes be washed?
Yes, you can wash a dog on a leash. Since every material is different, please refer to the instructions for cleaning your leash. Most nylon lines can be machine washed, while leather lines should be washed with a special soap and towel.
Is it illegal to walk my dog without a leash?
This depends on where you live. If you’re in the United States, it varies by state and city, so check your local leash laws to find your legal obligations. Dogs should be under legal supervision almost everywhere, so unless your dog is exceptionally well behaved when on a leash, it is best to use it on sidewalks or other areas with a lot of people around.
How do I know which leash size I need?
The size of your leash depends on the size and breed of your dog. You should also consider the purpose for which you will be using the leash. We have already mentioned the different line sizes above.
Why does my dog always pull on a leash?
Simply put, dogs pull on the leash because they are excited to be outside and explore new places. They want to reach where they want to go faster. Pulling dogs on a leash strengthens behavior, so they keep doing it.
How do you prevent the dog from biting on a leash?
If your dog likes to bite his leash, there are a few things you can do to avoid it. They are as follows:
- Give him interactive toys that contain treats and let him (work) get those goodies. Not only does it give him something to play with, but it is also a good method of providing mental and physical stimulation.
- Look for activities that allow your dog to undergo physical or mental training. This can be a game of fetch or food puzzles.
- Divert his attention with treats. In this way, his attention will be focused on the treat instead of biting his leash.
It can be so much fun to walk your dog, especially if you’ve already trained them to walk with you.
With a dog leash, like all other dog products like dog head halters, you can walk your dog effortlessly and not worry about safety and comfort. With the best dog leash, you will definitely experience a carefree adventure with your dog, on the street, in the park, and in the neighborhood.