This site is supported by our readers. We may earn a commission, at no cost to you, if you purchase through links.
All dogs should be offered the best bones for dogs teeth regularly to support the health of their gums and teeth, and both synthetic and natural dog bones chew options are very popular with dog owners.
The best long-lasting dog bones for aggressive chewers will keep your pup endlessly entertained while encouraging their natural desire to use their teeth.
Also, get the best dog chews for teeth for your dog, and you’ll immediately stop complaining about his bad breath.
Not only are they great for oral health, but they can also be fantastic training tools and help stop any unwanted chewing in and around your home.
We reviewed the best brands of dog bones to identify the best of the best. We considered all features, including size, durability, effectiveness, cost, and overall customer reviews.
Table Of Contents
- The Best Dental Bones for Dogs (Quick Summary)
- The Benefits of Using the Best Dog Chew Bones for Teeth
- Get The Right Type Of Bones For Dogs Teeth
- Synthetic Bone Vs. Natural Dog Bones
- 10 Best Bones For Dogs Teeth of 2022
- 1. Blue Buffalo Dog Dental Bones
- 2. Pet’ N Shape All Natural Dog Teething Bones
- 3. Nylabone Dura Chew XL Textured Dog Chew
- 4. Greenies Original- Best Teething Bones for Puppies
- 5. Natural Balance Dental Chews
- 6. Milk-bone Tooth Brushing Chews
- 7. All Natural Antler Dog Chew Elk Bone
- 8. Pedigree Dentastix Large Dog Treats
- 9. Fido Texas T-Bone Dental Dog Bone
- 10. Nylabone Dura Chew Combo Packs
- Types of Dogs Dental Treats and Diets
- FAQs About Dog Bones for Teeth
The Best Dental Bones for Dogs (Quick Summary)
|Blue Buffalo Dog Dental Bones|
4.5 out of 5
|Pet' N Shape All Natural Dog Teething Bones|
4.5 out of 5
|Nylabone Dura Chew XL Textured Dog Chew|
4.5 out of 5
|Greenies Original- Best Teething Bones for Puppies|
5 out of 5
|Natural Balance Dental Chews|
4.5 out of 5
|Milk-bone Tooth Brushing Chews|
4.5 out of 5
|All Natural Antler Dog Chew Elk Bone|
4.5 out of 5
|Pedigree Dentastix Large Dog Treats|
5 out of 5
|Fido Texas T-Bone Dental Dog Bone|
4.5 out of 5
|Nylabone Dura Chew Combo Packs|
4.5 out of 5
The Benefits of Using the Best Dog Chew Bones for Teeth
Just like in humans, dogs can suffer from oral problems such as:
- Bad breath
- The build-up of saliva, bacteria, and food on teeth (plaque)
- A hard yellow or brown residue on teeth (tartar)
- Swollen, bleeding, or irritated gums
- Teeth Pain
Improvement of Teeth and Gum Health
Dogs that actively chew have less plaque. And some types of dental treats and diets for dogs can reduce plaque by nearly 70%.
How are they doing this? The mechanical action of chewing alone can make a difference. The diameter of the chunks by 50% reduced tartar by 42%. In the same study, they coated the products with polyphosphate, further reducing tartar by 55%.
Reducing Bad Breath In Dogs
It is not uncommon for a dog’s breath to be somewhat unpleasant. This is often the result of an accumulation of bacteria in the dog’s mouth and can be a sign that your dog needs better dental or gum care.
However, it is not a bad idea to contact your veterinarian to check if bad breath is not a sign of an underlying medical problem.
Get The Right Type Of Bones For Dogs Teeth
So we’ve seen so many types of chews bones that shouldn’t be fed. Are you thinking about what’s left? Although smoked or cooked bones can be risky for dogs, remember that raw bones are entirely different.
Dogs have been eating bones for centuries, so it would be stupid to say that raw bones are harmful to them.
There are essentially two types of crude bones that are beneficial to dogs. Karen Becker divides them into two categories.
These bones do not contain marrow bones and are generally soft and flexible.
They are non-bearing bones that can easily be ground with a meat grinder. Chicken wings, chicken backs, chicken necks, and turkey necks are some examples.
These bones are designed to be chewed and eaten by dogs. These bones are often fed as part of a raw diet because they provide the dog with essential nutrients and minerals.
These raw bones usually do not provide much nutrition and are not intended to be swallowed, and the dog only nibbles at mental stimulation and the purpose of cleaning teeth.
When some cartilage and flesh from soft tissues are stuck, the teeth’ effect is similar to tooth brushing and flossing.
This helps reduce tartar and helps reduce the risk of gum problems. As the dogs had in the wild, dogs fed raw must chew on edible and recreational bones to have beautiful teeth.
Veterinarian Peter Dobias recommends feeding raw bones from medium-sized animals twice a week.
These are complex, abrasive bones, but they are not too thick, so they are perfect for keeping the teeth polished and scraped without risking fractures. And if there is still some meat attached to it, even better.
Chunks of raw meat promote effective cleaning of teeth and gums, and the dog needs about 30 minutes to work on it.
Synthetic Bone Vs. Natural Dog Bones
Choosing between natural and synthetic can be challenging when searching for the best dog bones. Both products have their advantages and defects, so it is up to personal preference when deciding which way to go.
Because most of this decision is related to your preference, we have some of the most important similarities and differences you can consider to help you decide what best suits you and your dog.
- They are specifically designed to support healthy teeth and gums without the risk of natural bacteria.
- Available in a large number of sizes and tastes
- Does not stain your carpets or furniture
- Do not have any calories from treats, so do not worry about excess weight gain.
- Without general supervision, it is known to break down and cause problems for dogs if swallowed.
- Are naturally attractive to dogs, especially if cartilage etc. is left behind
- Natural marrow bones are full of nutrients that your dog may miss in its essential diet.
- Good quality products have no added preservatives, which means that all ingredients are entirely natural for your dog’s digestive system.
- It can sometimes cause vomiting and diarrhea or other problems for dogs that chew it.
Once you have decided whether natural or synthetic bones are the most suitable for your dog, check out our reviews to help you find some of the best bones for dogs to clean teeth options on the market.
10 Best Bones For Dogs Teeth of 2022
There are many teeth on the market today, so which bones are suitable for a dog’s teeth?
Because you do not want to break the bank with the bone for dogs, we have compiled an overview of the top 10 best long-lasting dog bones so that you can do the best for your dog and a reasonable price find—the price you can afford.
We have considered product quality, ingredients, taste, customer satisfaction, price, and customer reviews to determine the best dog bones for teeth to be included in our list.
1. Blue Buffalo Dog Dental Bones
Blue dental bones natural chew toys for dogs are designed to keep your puppy’s teeth clean, but they also contain other natural ingredients that can provide additional health benefits for your dog.
If you are looking for the best natural dog bones that do not contain synthetic ingredients, fillers, or preservatives, this product is the best option for your dog.
This dog chew is gluten and wheat-free, combining all-natural ingredients to produce an easily digestible formula.
Plus, it comes with added nutritional support so that your dog’s treat benefits him inside out. In addition to their daily routine, most dogs will enjoy chewing and satisfying.
- Made from a completely natural mix of ingredients
- Blue Buffalo Dental Chews contain no corn, wheat, or soybeans and no poultry by-products…
- Made with Glucosamine and Chondroitin for improving joint health
- Blue Buffalo Dental Chews are made in the US.
- Available in different sizes for large adult dogs, small adult dogs, or puppies
2. Pet’ N Shape All Natural Dog Teething Bones
As much as the manufacturer wants to achieve a long-lasting taste, there is only so much they can do with a natural bone. Of course, most of the flavor is on the outside, so if you have chewed it for a while, it may seem less attractive to your dog.
- Reliable and responsible procurement in the US of grass-fed cows with free-range
- Two bones are included in the package, so this offers good value for money
- A great option for larger dogs and sharp chewers
- This product is roasted to ensure that your dog gets the long-lasting, high-quality taste
3. Nylabone Dura Chew XL Textured Dog Chew
If you want the teeth of a dog that lasts for months instead of being devoured in 30 seconds, we strongly recommend the Nylabone Dura Chew XL Textured Dog Chew. This bone chew toy is designed for dogs of 50 pounds and more, but you can also find smaller Nylabones.
This chew toy is covered with various ridges and nubs that massage the gums and improve overall oral hygiene. If your dog chews, she also scrapes away small bone particles, creating a highly textured, toothbrush-like surface that helps remove plaque.
Your four-legged friend will think she’s just chewing, but she’s brushing her teeth!
Most dogs love chewing, but to make it even more attractive, this chew set is infused with a tasty beef bones jerky flavor, although you can also choose from other flavors such as bacon, chicken, and peanut butter.
Priced at around $ 15, this set of teeth is not the cheapest option but offers excellent value considering the benefits.
- Designed for aggressive chewers
- Made in the USA.
4. Greenies Original- Best Teething Bones for Puppies
Greenies Original Dental Dog Treats are one of the best dog chew toys for teeth pet products on the market, and they are loved by many owners and dogs they try.
It may be hard to find the best dental sticks from the wide range on the market, but with more than 10,000 positive reviews, Greenies Original Dental Dog Treats are proven favorites. Made from all-natural ingredients, plus vitamins and minerals, they are suitable for the vast majority of dogs.
Designed to be easily digested, they are made to combat plaque and tartar and to brush your pup’s teeth without disturbing his belly.
You will find Greenies for large and small dogs available in four sizes, from 5 to 100 pounds. Prices vary depending on the size of the treats and the package size (which varies from 6 grams to 72 grams), but we focus on the large 36-ounce sticks, which cost around $ 40.
Greenies dental sticks help clean plaque and tartar to the gum line and freshen up your dog’s breath.
- Recommended and accepted by the Veterinary Oral Health Council (VOHC)
- Manufactured in the United States, although some ingredients may come from other countries
- Low in fat, which is important for overweight puppies
- Feature added vitamins and minerals for a higher nutritional value
- Flexible chew design, allowing them to make better contact with the surface of the teeth
- Different sizes based on your dog’s weight and different treatment counts for owners who prefer to save and stock up.
5. Natural Balance Dental Chews
We especially love these chewing teeth on other similar pet products because they are made from natural ingredients, such as vegetables and meat, and are available in formulas with limited ingredients, ideal for dogs with a sensitive stomach.
Their grain-free Formula is also suitable for dogs with grain allergies or gluten sensitivity.
Although we have focused on Fresh and Clean Formula’s delicacies, they are also available in a formula with a limited ingredient Duck, a limited formula for sweet potatoes and chicken flour, and pumpkin and chicken flour.
They come in small (for dogs between 5 and 25 pounds) and medium (for dogs between 25 and 50 pounds).
For $ 16 for a package of 13 ounces, they cost more than many other dental treats, but they are worth it for ingredient quality.
- Help reduce plaque and tartar
- Fresh breath
- Easy to digest formula
6. Milk-bone Tooth Brushing Chews
Milk-Bone is a prevalent choice for pets’ parents to refresh their breath and clean dogs’ teeth.
An updated version has just been released, making this high-quality dental jaw even better. They have improved their texture and added a new design to improve the cleaning capacity.
Chicken-flavored chewable tablets are designed to reduce dental plaque and tartar and to refresh your dog’s breath. The rice-based Formula contains no soy products.
These brushes are recommended by veterinarians and dog trainers for tartar control and come in different sizes. Hopefully, you will find the best fit for your best friend.
- Receives vohc seal of acceptance from Veterinary Oral Health Council (VOHC)
- The recipe contains 16 essential vitamins and minerals
- Milk bone brushes are manufactured in the US
- Each bone contains 63 calories
7. All Natural Antler Dog Chew Elk Bone
Although this product seems more expensive than an average bone, it is essential to note that you get 3 or 4 antlers in each package, meaning that the higher costs are less of a problem than it seems.
High-quality Elk antlers such as these are stronger and more complex than traditional rawhide chews and are ideal for aggressive chewers. This all-natural bone is available in sizes ranging from 4 to 8 inches and is virtually unbreakable. Best of all, it is odorless.
Responsible procurement means that only natural antlers are used, and every product comes from the US.
However, keep in mind that since antlers are much harder to chew, this might not be the best choice for dogs with dental problems. Yet pet owners on Amazon have given it an almost perfect star rating of 4.7 stars.
One customer was enthusiastic: My dogs love this one! Nothing on the market can keep my aggressive chewers busy for a long time, except these antlers.
- Every antler chews are cleaned immediately before it is packaged, meaning there is no risk of contamination
- They tend to stay pretty good with sharp chewers
- Unlike some other natural bone products, they are unlikely to have digestive disorders cause because of how they are cleaned
8. Pedigree Dentastix Large Dog Treats
Pedigree Dentastix Large Dog Treats are x-shaped dental treats that reduce plaque and tartar formation while your dog’s breath continues to smell good (which inevitably means longer cuddle sessions).
Unlike some other dental treats, Pedigree Dentastix large dog treats are not particularly difficult – they have a somewhat chewy texture.
Affordable teeth from a famous brand, although the quality may not be as high as that of smaller boutique manufacturers.
- Built in a patented (X) shape so that your puppy gets the best possible grip
- Made with a chicken flavor and meaty smell, dogs love
- Recipe based on wheat and rice, without soy
- Come in different versions for large breeds, puppies, etc.
- Available in original flavor, bacon flavor, beef flavor, or fresh flavor.
9. Fido Texas T-Bone Dental Dog Bone
This beef-flavored chew is well designed to allow dogs to hold the bone while chewing toys. Designed to help dogs of all ages, this is an excellent option for biting puppies, all the way to older dogs … and everything in between!
This is a softer product than some others, so if you chew enthusiastically, it might not last as long as you had hoped.
For most dogs, bones are one of their favorite chew toys. ; they can hide them, run around with them, and most importantly … they can chew them!
- This large option is available in different sizes and is a great option for adult Labradors
- The beef flavor is attractive to dogs, and this product uses a slow-release flavor system to keep your dog interested
- The texture is soft and flexible, which means that you can still let your dog enjoy this treatment when they are in their golden years
10. Nylabone Dura Chew Combo Packs
This is specially designed for powerful chewers, and this is an excellent option if you have to replace bone chewing teeth forever! The fact that this is a combo package means that you get great value for money and the taste helps to add variety to keep your dog interested.
While chewing, the hair comes up to clean your dog’s teeth. Remember, chewing without proper supervision can cause problems if your dog rubs it on their tongue, etc. And it will undoubtedly hurt those unsuspecting owners who manage to get in!
- Interesting flavors to keep your dog busy
- Sharp chewers will still be able to enjoy this long-lasting treat
- The clever design means that bristles help clean your dog’s teeth while chewing
Types of Dogs Dental Treats and Diets
Many dental treats and diets for dogs claim to reduce plaque and tartar or improve breath. Some have been voluntarily tested and have received the VOHC seal.
- Rawhide bones: Made from cow’s or horses’ skin, rawhide chews teeth can reduce plaque and tartar. They come in different sizes and shapes.
- Gums, bones, and biscuits: Greenies®, Del Monte Tartar Check®, dog biscuits, Bright Bites, OraVet® oral hygiene chews, and Vetradent dog chews are examples of edible pet products approved by VOHC.
- Dental food for dogs: Some formulations help reduce plaque and tartar. They do this in various ways, some being made into larger pieces or textures resistant to crumbling, which causes scrubbing. Others have a special coating that helps prevent bacteria, reduce plaque, or discourage tartar.
Ask your veterinarian about these special dental diets only available through the American veterinary dental society market.
FAQs About Dog Bones for Teeth
What Bones Are Safe for Dogs?
Raw bones are considered safer than cooked bones because they don’t shatter as easily. Raw bones like chicken, turkey, beef bones, lamb bones, goat bones, or even oxtail can be safer bone options for your pet. Unlike homemade bones that drain the nutrients, raw bones are a natural source of calcium and phosphorus.
What if You Don’t Feel Like Feeding Raw Bones?
It would help if you looked for edible bones made from healthy, non-toxic ingredients. This is harder to say than done because there are so many pet products on the market today, and most of them contain harmful substances.
The products must be digestible because the intake of non-digestible chunks can obstruct.
The best bones for dogs’ teeth should be hard enough to clean the teeth, but not that hard to clean. Veterinarian Karen Becker recommends dental bones from Mercola Healthy Pets Dog that are 100% natural and contain no corn, soy, gluten, or animal by-products.
However, let’s not forget that removing meat from bones helps maintain healthy teeth and that chewing takes a while to be effective.
Do chew toys work for dogs?
Although chew toys help reduce the amount of dental plaque on your dog’s teeth and generally improve oral hygiene, they should brush normally (if your dog allows it) or replace dental checkups by a veterinarian.
Will My Dog’s Gums Lose Bad Breath?
Bad breath in dogs is often a sign of gum disease. Chewing teeth can help reverse gum disease as part of a comprehensive oral hygiene routine, so they should help eliminate bad breath.
These were the top 10 best bones for dogs to clean teeth that you should consider buying, offering you up to ten different solutions to keep your dog’s dental health at its best.
Every time you lick your dog and feel a clean and fresh breath, and when your vet recognizes that your dog is healthy and happy, you’ll be happy that every penny spent on your puppy’s teeth was worth it.