All dogs should be offered the best bones for dogs teeth regularly to support the health of their gums and teeth, and both synthetic and natural dog bones chew options are very popular with dog owners.
The best long lasting dog bones for aggressive chewers will keep your pup endlessly entertained while encouraging their natural desire to use their teeth.
Also, get the best dog chews for teeth for your dog, and you’ll immediately stop complaining about his bad breath.
Not only are they great for oral health, but they can also be fantastic training tools and help stop any unwanted chewing in and around your home.
We reviewed the best brands of dog bones to identify the best of the best. We considered all kinds of features, including size, durability, effectiveness, cost, and overall customer reviews.
Table Of Contents
- Top 5 Best Bones for Dogs Teeth (Quick Summary)
- The Benefits of Using the Best Dog Chew Bones for Teeth
- Get The Right Type Of Bones For Dogs Teeth
- Synthetic Bone Vs. Natural Dog Bones
- 10 Best Bones For Dogs Teeth of 2021
- 1. Blue Buffalo Dental Chews for Dogs
- 2. Pet ‘N Shape All Natural Dog Chewz
- 3. Nylabone Dura Chew XL Textured Dog Chew
- 4. Greenies Original Dental Dog Treats
- 5. Natural Balance Dental Chews
- 6. Milk-Bone Brushing Chews
- 7. All Natural Antler Dog Chew Elk Bone
- 8. Pedigree Dentastix Large Dog Treats
- 9. Fido Texas T-Bone Dental Dog Bone
- 10. Nylabone Dura Chew Combo Packs
- Types of Dogs Dental Treats and Diets
- FAQs About Dog Bones for Teeth
Top 5 Best Bones for Dogs Teeth (Quick Summary)
|Blue Buffalo Dental Chews for Dogs|
7,883 Customer Reviews
|Pet 'n Shape All Natural Dog Chewz|
5,565 Customer Reviews
|Nylabone Dura Chew Xl Textured Dog Chew|
15,308 Customer Reviews
|Greenies Original Dental Dog Treats|
41,160 Customer Reviews
|Natural Balance Dental Chews|
1,260 Customer Reviews
The Benefits of Using the Best Dog Chew Bones for Teeth
Just like in humans, dogs can suffer from oral problems such as:
- Bad breath
- The build-up of saliva, bacteria, and food on teeth (plaque)
- A hard yellow or brown residue on teeth (tartar)
- Swollen, bleeding, or irritated gums
- Teeth Pain
Improvement of Teeth and Gum Health
Dogs that actively chew have less plaque. And some types of dental treats and diets for dogs can reduce plaque by nearly 70%.
How are they doing this? The mechanical action of chewing alone can make a difference. The diameter of the chunks by 50% reduced tartar by 42%. In the same study, coating the products with a substance called polyphosphate further reduced tartar by 55%.
Reducing Bad Breath In Dogs
It is not uncommon for a dog’s breath to be somewhat unpleasant. This is often the result of an accumulation of bacteria in the mouth and can be a sign that your dog needs better dental or gum care.
However, it is not a bad idea to contact your veterinarian to check if bad breath is not a sign of an underlying medical problem.
Get The Right Type Of Bones For Dogs Teeth
So we’ve seen so many types of chews bones that shouldn’t be fed. Are you thinking about what’s left? Although cooked or smoked bones can be risky for dogs, remember that raw bones are completely different.
Dogs have been eating bones for centuries, so it would be stupid to say that raw bones are harmful to them.
There are essentially two types of crude bones that are beneficial to dogs. Karen Becker divides them into 2 categories.
These are bones that do not contain marrow and are generally soft and flexible.
They are non-bearing bones that can easily be ground with a meat grinder. Chicken wings, chicken backs, chicken necks, and turkey necks are some examples.
These bones are designed to be chewed and eaten by dogs. These bones are often fed as part of a raw diet because they provide the dog with important nutrients and minerals.
These raw bones usually do not provide much nutrition and are not intended to be swallowed, and the dog only nibbles at mental stimulation and the purpose of cleaning teeth.
When some cartilage and flesh from soft tissues are stuck, the teeth’ effect is similar to brushing and flossing.
This helps reduce tartar and helps reduce the risk of gum problems. As the dogs had in the wild, dogs that are fed raw must chew on both edible and recreational bones to have beautiful teeth.
Veterinarian Peter Dobias recommends feeding raw bones from medium-sized animals twice a week.
These are hard, abrasive bones, but they are not too thick, so they are perfect for keeping the teeth polished and scraped without risking fractures. And if there is still some meat attached to it, even better.
Chunks of raw meat promote effective cleaning of teeth and gums, and the dog needs about 30 minutes to work on it.
Synthetic Bone Vs. Natural Dog Bones
When searching for the best dog bones, it can be difficult to choose between natural and synthetic choices. Both sets of products have their own advantages and defects, so it is up to personal preference when deciding which way to go.
Because most of this decision is related to your preference, we have some of the most important similarities and differences you can consider to help you decide what best suits you and your dog.
35% Off at Chewy.com
+ Free ShippingClaim The Offer
- Are specifically designed to support healthy teeth and gums without the risk of natural bacteria
- Available in a large number of sizes and tastes
- Does not stain your carpets or furniture
- Do not have any calories from treats, so you do not have to worry about excess weight gain
- Without known supervision, it is known to break down and cause problems for dogs if swallowed
- Are naturally attractive to dogs, especially if cartilage etc. is left behind
- Natural bone marrow is full of nutrients that your dog may miss in their basic diet
- Good quality products have no added preservatives, which means that all ingredients are completely natural for your dog’s digestive system
- Can sometimes cause vomiting and diarrhea, or other problems for dogs that chew it
Once you have decided whether natural or synthetic bones are the most suitable for your dog, check out our reviews to help you find some of the best bones for dogs to clean teeth options on the market.
10 Best Bones For Dogs Teeth of 2021
There are many teeth on the market today, so which bones are good for dog’s teeth?
Because you do not want to break the bank with the bone for dogs, we have compiled an overview of the top 10 best long lasting dog bones so that you can do the best for your dog and a good price find—the price you can afford.
We have considered product quality, ingredients, taste, customer satisfaction, price, and customer reviews to determine the best dog bones for teeth to be included in our list.
Blue dental bones natural dog chews for dogs are designed to keep your puppy’s teeth clean, but they also contain other natural ingredients that can provide additional health benefits for your dog.
If you are looking for the best natural dog bones that do not contain synthetic ingredients, fillers, or preservatives, this product is the best option for your dog.
Combining all-natural ingredients to produce an easily digestible formula, this dog chew is also gluten and wheat-free.
Plus, it comes with added nutritional support so that your dog’s treat benefits him inside out. In addition to their daily routine, most dogs will enjoy chewing and satisfying.
- Made from a completely natural mix of ingredients
- Blue Buffalo Dental Chews contain no corn, wheat, or soybeans and no poultry by-products…
- Made with Glucosamine and Chondroitin for improving joint health
- Blue Buffalo Dental Chews are made in the US.
- Available in different sizes for large adult dogs, small adult dogs, or puppies
Customer Reviews 7,883 Reviews
My little chihuahua loves them!
Made with larger dogs in mind, this healthy treat is completely digestible. There are no added preservatives in this product, and it is wheat, corn, and soy-free! All the way from the US, you can be confident that you will get a good quality bone product.
As much as the manufacturer wants to achieve a long-lasting taste, there is only so much that they can do with a natural bone. Of course, most of the flavor is on the outside, so if you have chewed it for a while, it may seem less attractive to your dog.
- Reliable and responsible procurement in the US of grass-fed cows with free-range
- 2 bones are included in the package, so this offers good value for money
- A great option for larger dogs and sharp chewers
- This product is roasted to ensure that your dog gets the long-lasting, high-quality taste
Customer Reviews 5,565 Reviews
I have a chocolate lab pit mix and she's a chewer! She will destroy toys in minutes, so I wanted to try a bone without paying $ 25 per bone. These initially look nasty, but then with all the chewing and licking, she is now doing it like a normal bone. She's been on the same bone for almost 2 months and it's not shattered or anything. Her new favorite thing! Strongly recommended!
If you want the teeth of a dog that lasts for months instead of being devoured in 30 seconds, we strongly recommend the Nylabone Dura Chew XL Textured Dog Chew. This bone chew toy is designed for dogs of 50 pounds and more, but you can also find smaller Nylabones.
This chew toy is covered with various ridges and nubs that massage the gums and improve overall oral hygiene. If your dog chews, she also scrapes away small bone particles, creating a highly textured, toothbrush-like surface that helps remove plaque.
Your four-legged friend will think she’s just chewing, but she’s really brushing her teeth!
Most dogs love chewing, but to make it even more attractive, this chew set is infused with a tasty beef jerky flavor, although you can also choose from other flavors such as bacon, chicken, and peanut butter.
Priced at around $ 15, this set of teeth is not the cheapest option but offers excellent value considering the benefits.
- Designed for aggressive chewers
- Made in the USA.
Customer Reviews 15,308 Reviews
So far so good, nothing has been chewed in my house so far and the dogs love them.Luckily I bought two of these instead of two 67kg and 54kg dogs charging about the house trying to chase each other to get the bone off of each other.
Greenies Original Dental Dog Treats are one of the best dog chews for teeth products on the market, and they are loved by many owners and dogs they try.
It may be hard to find the best dental sticks from the wide range on the market, but with more than 10,000 positive reviews, Greenies Original Dental Dog Treats are proven favorites. Made from all-natural ingredients, plus vitamins and minerals, they are suitable for the vast majority of dogs.
Designed to be easily digested, they are made to combat plaque and tartar and to brush your pup’s teeth without disturbing his belly.
You will find Greenies for large and small dogs available in four sizes, from 5 to 100 pounds. Prices vary depending on the size of the treats and the package size (which varies from 6 grams to 72 grams), but we focus on the large 36-ounce sticks, which cost around $ 40.
Greenies dental sticks help to clean plaque and tartar all the way to the gum line and also to freshen up your dog breath.
- Recommended and accepted by the Veterinary Oral Health Council (VOHC)
- Manufactured in the United States, although some ingredients may come from other countries
- Low in fat, which is important for overweight puppies
- Feature added vitamins and minerals for a higher nutritional value
- Flexible chew design, allowing them to make better contact with the surface of the teeth
- Different sizes based on your dog’s weight and different treatment count for owners who prefer to save and stock up.
Customer Reviews 41,160 Reviews
Pat Fifield - Author & Playwright
Apollo LOVES this one! At our last checkup from the vet, the vet said that Apollo's teeth and gums were exceptionally healthy. Although he is a great Pyrenees, we give him these TEENIE treats during the day, and he enjoys it every time, without increasing his 'waist'.
We especially love these chewing teeth on other similar products because they are made from natural ingredients, such as vegetables and meat, and are available in formulas with limited ingredients, which are ideal for dogs with a sensitive stomach.
Their grain-free formula is also suitable for dogs with grain allergies or gluten sensitivity.
Although we have focused on Fresh and Clean Formula’s delicacies, they are also available in a formula with a limited ingredient Duck, a limited formula for sweet potatoes and chicken flour, and a formula for pumpkin and chicken flour.
They come in two sizes: small (for dogs between 5 and 25 pounds) and medium (for dogs between 25 and 50 pounds).
For $ 16 for a package of 13 ounces, they cost more than many other dental treats, but they are worth it for ingredient quality.
- Help reduce plaque and tartar
- Fresh breath
- Easy to digest formula
Customer Reviews 1,260 Reviews
Best ! Our little dogs love this bite. They can't wait to get them every day, knowing that they taste great. We gladly give them because of the excellent cleaning action in combination with the limited ingredients. Their teeth are cleaner than they have been for years. One is seven and the other 13 years young ... they now look younger both years! LOL We found this on the recommendation of another happy dog owner who struggled to keep the teeth of their older companion clean and healthy. We were sold after seeing the results ....
Milk-Bone is a prevalent choice with parents of pets for refreshing the breath and cleaning dogs’ teeth.
Brushing with milk bones, Chicken-flavored chewable tablets are designed to reduce dental plaque and tartar and to refresh your dog’s breath. The rice-based formula contains no soy products.
These brushes are recommended by veterinarians and dog trainers for tartar control and come in different sizes. Hopefully, you will find the best fit for your best friend.
- Receives seal of acceptance from Veterinary Oral Health Council (VOHC)
- The recipe contains 16 essential vitamins and minerals
- Milk bone brushes are manufactured in the US
- Each bone contains 63 calories
Customer Reviews 2,126 Reviews
RD in Ohio
I have given my dogs these Brushes daily for more than a year and my vet was surprised to see how clean my dog's teeth are. My two dogs are over 4 years old and look forward to receiving a treat every morning. I highly recommend these chewers. However, caution is advised when purchasing these chewable tablets. Do not buy a small size for a large dog, as this can cause a choking hazard if they do not chew but swallow pieces as a whole. And most importantly, always keep an eye on your dogs, large or small, when they ...
Although this product seems more expensive than an average bone, it is important to note that you get 3 or 4 antlers in each package, meaning that the higher costs are less of a problem than it seems.
High-quality Elk antlers such as these are stronger and more difficult than traditional rawhide and are ideal for aggressive chewers. This all-natural bone is available in sizes ranging from 4 to 8 inches and is virtually unbreakable. Best of all, it is odorless.
Responsible procurement means that only natural antlers are used, and every product comes from the US.
However, keep in mind that since antlers are much harder to chew, this might not be the best choice for dogs with dental problems. Yet pet owners on Amazon have given it an almost perfect star rating of 4.7 stars.
One customer was enthusiastic: My dogs love this one! There is nothing on the market that can keep my aggressive chewers busy for a long time, except these antlers.
- Every antler chews are cleaned immediately before it is packaged, meaning there is no risk of contamination
- They tend to stay pretty good with sharp chewers
- Unlike some other natural bone products, they are unlikely to have digestive disorders cause because of how they are cleaned
Customer Reviews 5,791 Reviews
We have ordered bones for our dogs in the past and loved them ... THIS was another case. We have 2 Border Terriers ... in good health, very active (we live on a farm). They were overjoyed to dive into these treats ... but I went looking for pieces to shred and shred, indeed they did ~ especially on the side where marrow is exposed the most. This has made us nervous because we do not want to welcome an unnecessary trip to the vet. I am also disappointed that I sent an email to Doggie Dealz owners on 1/11/18 ...
Pedigree Dentastix Large Dog Treats are x-shaped dental treats that reduce plaque and tartar formation while your dog’s breath continues to smell good (which inevitably means longer cuddle sessions).
Unlike some other dental treats, Pedigree Dentastix large dog treats are not particularly difficult – they have a somewhat chewy texture.
Affordable teeth from a famous brand, although the quality may not be as high as that of smaller boutique manufacturers.
- Built-in a patented (X) shape so that your puppy gets the best possible grip
- Made with a chicken flavor and meaty smell, dogs love
- Recipe based on wheat and rice, without soy
- Come in different versions for large breeds, puppies, etc.
- Available in original flavor, bacon flavor, beef flavor, or fresh flavor.
Customer Reviews 32,842 Reviews
I've been giving these to my black lab since she was a puppy (she'll be 9 in December). Her vet is impressed as to how nice her teeth are and how white they are. I've never had to have her teeth professionally cleaned at any point of her life. The mint flavor stix's really help keep her "dog breath" under control. I give her a different flavor each day. She loves them all. She gets very excited when I pull them out of the pantry. Her tail is waging hard enough to bruise my leg of it hits it.
This beef-flavored chew is really well designed to allow dogs to hold the bone while they chew. Designed to help dogs of all ages, this is a great option for biting puppies, all the way to older dogs … and everything in between!
This is a softer product than some others, so if you chew enthusiastically, it might not last as long as you had hoped.
For most dogs, bones are one of their favorite toys. ; they can hide them, run around with them, and most importantly … they can chew them!
- This large option is available in different sizes and is a great option for adult Labradors
- The beef flavor is attractive to dogs, and this product uses a slow-release flavor system to keep your dog interested
- The texture is soft and flexible, which means that you can still let your dog enjoy this treatment when they are in their golden years
Customer Reviews 21 Reviews
Nice dental toy. Thanks to the third handle you can play with it while your small dog plays with it. Updates: Although my Westie is small, he completely destroyed the little Fido T-bone toy after a few weeks. I bought the second Fido toy with bones, but this time large size. He chews every night for about four months before he sleeps on the big bone toy. It is still in good condition.
Specially designed for powerful chewers, this is a great option if you have to replace bone chewing teeth forever! The fact that this is a combo package means that you get great value for money and the taste helps to add variety to keep your dog interested.
While chewing, the hair comes up to clean your dog’s teeth. Remember, chewing without proper supervision can cause problems if your dog rubs it on their tongue, etc. And it will certainly hurt those unsuspecting owners who manage to get in!
- Interesting flavors to keep your dog busy
- Sharp chewers will still be able to enjoy this long-lasting treat
- The clever design means that bristles help clean your dog’s teeth while chewing
Customer Reviews 10,218 Reviews
Mr S Wilson
The dogs love to settle down in the living room on an evening and chew these Nylabones. They are very loud. Unfortunately it's the same time as we like to watch TV. Still worth it though. The dogs are really content to have something to gnaw at. They last for ages as well.
Types of Dogs Dental Treats and Diets
Many dental treats and diets for dogs claim to reduce plaque and tartar or improve breath. Some have been voluntarily tested and have received the VOHC seal.
- Rawhide bones: Made from cows or horses’ skin, rawhide chew teeth can reduce plaque and tartar. They come in different sizes and shapes.
- Gums, bones, and biscuits: Greenies®, Del Monte Tartar Check® dog biscuits, Bright Bites, OraVet® oral hygiene chews, and Vetradent dog chews are examples of edible products approved by VOHC.
- Dental food for dogs: Some formulations for dog food help to reduce plaque and tartar. They do this in various ways, some being made into larger pieces or texture resistant to crumbling, which causes scrubbing. Others have a special coating that helps prevent bacteria, reduce plaque, or discourage tartar.
Ask your veterinarian about these and special dental diets that are only available through the veterinary market.
FAQs About Dog Bones for Teeth
What Bones Are Safe for Dogs?
Raw bones are considered safer than home-cooked because they don’t shatter as easily. Raw bones like chicken, turkey, lamb, beef, or even oxtail can be safer bone options for your pet. Unlike homemade bones that drain the nutrients, raw bones are a natural source of calcium and phosphorus.
What if You Don’t Feel Like Feeding Raw Bones?
It would help if you then looked for edible bones made from healthy, non-toxic ingredients. This is harder to say than done because there are so many products on the market today, and most of them contain harmful substances.
The products must be digestible because the intake of non-digestible chunks can lead to obstruction.
The best bones for dogs teeth should be hard enough to clean the teeth, but not that hard to clean them. Veterinarian Karen Becker recommends dental bones from Mercola Healthy Pets Dog that are 100% natural and contain no corn, soy, gluten, or animal by-products.
However, let’s not forget that removing meat from bones helps to maintain healthy teeth and that chewing takes a while to be effective.
Do Chew Teeth Work for Dogs?
Although chew teeth help reduce the amount of dental plaque on your dog’s teeth and generally improve oral hygiene, they should brush normally (if your dog allows it) or replace dental checkups by a veterinarian.
Will My Dog’s Gums Lose Bad Breath?
Bad breath in dogs is often a sign of gum disease. Chew teeth can help in reversing gum disease as part of a comprehensive oral hygiene routine, so they should help eliminate bad breath.
These were the top 10 best bones for dogs to clean teeth that you should consider buying, offering you up to ten different solutions to keep your dog’s dental health at its best.
Every time you lick your dog and feel a clean and fresh breath, and when your vet recognizes that your dog is healthy and happy, you’ll be happy that every penny spent on your puppy’s teeth was really worth it.