This site is supported by our readers. We may earn a commission, at no cost to you, if you purchase through links.
Joints can become stiff or painful, and suddenly your always hyperactive, happy dog spends more and more time hanging out. The best joint supplements for dogs can help give the boost that dogs need to get active again.
Arthritis is also not always the result of old age .. 70% of joint diseases are due to developmental diseases, and 22% of arthritis cases occur in dogs less than a year old.
Dog owners must take care of the well-being of their pets. Joint supplements may not be the cure for these dog conditions, but they can certainly help for healthier and more stable articulations.
In this article, we’ve covered some of the best-known best dog joint supplements on the market so you can find out which product is right for your pet. We’ve also added a quick buying guide to help narrow your search.
Before we get into that, let’s take a look at what causes arthritis and joint pain in dogs.
Table Of Contents
- The Best Joint Supplements for Dogs (Quick Summary)
- What Causes Joint Problems In Dogs?
- Things To Consider For Choose The Best Joint Supplement For Dogs
- 10 Best Joint Supplements For Dogs Of 2023
- 1. Nutramax Cosequin Ds Plus With Msm Chewable Tablets
- 2. Genuine Naturals Hip And Joint Supplement For Dogs
- 3. Paws Pals Glucosamine For Dogs
- 4. Doggie Dailies Glucosamine For Dogs
- 5. Vetriscience Hip Joint Support For Dogs
- 6. Petnc Natural Care Hip Joint Soft Chews
- 7. Nutramax Dasuquin With MSM Chewables
- 8. The Missing Link All Natural Supplements For Dogs
- 9. Terramax Pro Best Hip And Joint Supplement
- 10. Topdog Health Dogs Joint Supplement
- Dog Joint Supplements Ingredients and Their Benefits
- FAQs About Joint Supplements For Dogs
The Best Joint Supplements for Dogs (Quick Summary)
|Nutramax Cosequin Ds Plus With Msm Chewable Tablets|
4.5 out of 5
|Genuine Naturals Hip And Joint Supplement For Dogs|
4.5 out of 5
|Paws Pals Glucosamine For Dogs|
4.5 out of 5
|Doggie Dailies Glucosamine For Dogs|
4.5 out of 5
|Vetriscience Hip Joint Support For Dogs|
4.5 out of 5
|Petnc Natural Care Hip Joint Soft Chews|
4.5 out of 5
|Nutramax Dasuquin With MSM Chewables|
4.5 out of 5
|The Missing Link All Natural Supplements For Dogs|
4.5 out of 5
|Terramax Pro Best Hip And Joint Supplement|
4.5 out of 5
|Topdog Health Dogs Joint Supplement|
4.5 out of 5
What Causes Joint Problems In Dogs?
The two main types of joint problems in dogs are development and degeneration.
The developmental disease of the joint includes:
Degenerative joint disease is usually considered like osteoarthritis.
Degenerative joint disease can also get worse with age if you don’t treat it.
Things To Consider For Choose The Best Joint Supplement For Dogs
It is important to give your dog the right supplement to ensure a faster and more efficient recovery. That said, you need to know what factors to consider when looking for the right joint supplement. They are as follows:
Of course, it is the ingredients in the supplements that improve your dog’s joint health, and the type and amount of ingredients each supplement contains is essential. All of the ingredients must be scientifically proven to improve a dog’s joint health, either by helping repair damaged cartilage or by reducing pain caused by wear. Ingredients must also be in a high enough dose to do anything.
2. Types of Dog Joint Supplements
Now that you know why you should be giving joint medication to dogs, you may need to know how best to provide such supplements. Currently, there are three primary forms of dog joint supplements. These are the following.
- Liquids: This is often the most preferred form of supplements, as any part of the active ingredients is readily absorbed through the dog’s intestinal tract. Some manufacturers recommend mixing it with food, while others should be given as a whole, usually through a dropper or a specially designed liquid medication syringe.
- Tablets: One of the most common problems when using tablets is the relative difficulty of having your pet swallow it. While experts recommend pushing the tablet to the back of the throat to bypass the pet’s mouth reflex, it’s just too painful to see your pet suffering unnecessarily, especially if your hand is a lot bigger than the mouth of your pet. Also, tablet preparations often contain binders to compress the active ingredients and prevent them from loosening. Unfortunately, this can affect the number of absorbable ingredients.
- Powders: These are excellent choices for those who don’t like working with tablets or liquids. These can be mixed with food or dissolved in your pet’s drink. Either way, you should refer to the directions on the package.
- Dog Chews: Some manufacturers of dog joint supplements design their products as dog treats, making them more palatable to pets. You no longer need to push the pill down your pet’s throat.
3. Easy To Manage
Another thing to consider is how easy it would be to administer the supplement to your dog. After all, what’s the point of buying a supplement if your dog isn’t even using it? Fortunately, many supplements such as fish oil for dogs are readily available in chewable forms, making them easier to give to your dog.
However, if he’s a picky eater, make sure the supplement has a flavor he likes.
Are the ingredients safe for your dog to take? This can be discovered by looking at product certifications and recommendations. If in doubt, ask your vet for advice.
10 Best Joint Supplements For Dogs Of 2023
Joint supplements for dogs can help your pet experience less pain and maintain more mobility as they age. And by giving your dog preventive supplements early, you can maintain their overall joint health and delay the onset of joint pain, stiffness, pain, and even arthritis.
We examined the ten best joint supplements for dogs. Hopefully, these will give you an idea of what to give to your beloved dog.
1. Nutramax Cosequin Ds Plus With Msm Chewable Tablets
We also liked the high-quality ingredients in this supplement. This supplement contains all the ingredients you would expect in a joint dog supplement, glucosamine hydrochloride, sodium chondroitin sulfate, and magnesium. These supplements are important players in maintaining joint health and can dramatically improve your pet’s joint function. Also, Cosequin contains MSM, which is believed to help repair connective tissue and joints.
Also, this product is recommended by veterinarians to improve the mobility of dogs of all shapes and sizes. The shape of the tablets means that the dosage can be adjusted according to your dog’s weight and needs, so you don’t have to worry about buying the right size of tablets or the like. The tablets are also completely chewable, and often dogs take the tablets as a treat, especially if you pretend it is a treat. We know that it can sometimes be difficult to give medicines for pets, but these chewable tablets make it easy.
- Comes in easy to administer chewable tablets
- Can effectively reduce stiffness and inflammation in suffering dogs
- Can produce results in as little as a month week in other cases
- Maybe a little too expensive compared to other products
2. Genuine Naturals Hip And Joint Supplement For Dogs
- Satisfactory quantities of glucosamine and MSM
- Additional nutritional vitamins all-natural turmeric and other all-natural crucial oils for more wholesome joints and discomfort relief
- No artificial components such as colorings and flavoring
- Comes as deal with the sized chewable kind
- Reduce ranges of chondroitin than other companies
3. Paws Pals Glucosamine For Dogs
Aside from that, it also consists of MSM and glucosamine, which aid in minimizing and quit inflammation and sustain optimum joint wellness and operating.
- Produced to prevent and reduce joint irritation
- Consists of all organic factors with no side effects
- Comes in chewable treats which your puppy will truly like
- The smell might be a bit unpleasant for some canines
4. Doggie Dailies Glucosamine For Dogs
To make it even significantly much better, this supplement is also developed with your dog’s taste buds in ideas. Following all, what is the level of a supplement if you can not get your canine to eat it? Doggie dailies are completely chewable and are flavored to taste like chicken. Correct after producing an attempt a single, your canine will sustain asking for a lot much more!
However, on the fence? This supplement also comes with a cashback assure. If you are not pleased with your acquire, you can make contact with the producers for a refund—no hoops to leap by way of, and no extended waits on hold. Plus, the purchase also comes with two free of charge eBooks about your dog’s wellness.
- Comes with six active parts for optimum effectiveness
- Can alleviate your canine of joint pain brought on by aging dysplasia or arthritis
- Comes in 225 chicken flavored treats
- It may well get a though for you to see some clear outcomes
5. Vetriscience Hip Joint Support For Dogssenior dogs. The puppy chews come in chicken flavors that canines adore. Vitamin C is particularly important in the manufacturing of collagen to aid assistance in the framework of cartilage.
- Outstanding quantities of MSM and glucosamine per tablet
- Utilizes only pet secure natural elements
- Clinically confirmed to enhance hind length strength in one month by as a good deal as 41%
- Suggested by veterinarians
- Does not have chondroitin sulfate
- A bit expensive
6. Petnc Natural Care Hip Joint Soft Chews
Plus, these chews are well… chewable, so you do not have to fret about producing an attempt to force your puppy to eat it or hiding it in their meals. They are also flavored to taste like a canine deal with to inspire your canine to eat them without having a fuss. Dosing is also extremely straightforward as effectively. The first administration period is advised to last about four to 6 weeks, and then the dose is decreased to servicing amounts. The actual dosing is dependent on your canine’s body weight and is just managed by feeding your pooch much more or considerably significantly less chews a day. There are no half-doses, so you don’t have to be concerned about attempting reduced a tablet in half, which we know can at times be challenging!
- Liver flavored chewable which your puppy could like
- Designed for superb hip and joint support
- Incredibly low-cost price
- Some canines may not like the chewable’ liver taste
7. Nutramax Dasuquin With MSM Chewables
It is formulated for canines who weigh much more than 60 lbs. Given that the supplement comes in chewable kind administering it to your canine shouldn’t be that difficult. That aside, it contains glucosamine, MSM, and chondroitin as its lively components apart from avocado/soybean unsaponifiables to supply your puppy with full joint assistance.
- Best for use on dogs suffering from osteoarthritis
- Formulated for large canines above 60 lbs
- Backed by ten many years of clinical research
- Truly costly than the other brand names
8. The Missing Link All Natural Supplements For Dogs
- The formulation is that of a total meal puppy meals that consist of proteins fats fiber and moisture
- Enriched with vitamins and minerals for significantly a lot more optimum canine nutrition
- Includes all organic meals components that canines will like to eat
- Item is not a devoted joint well-getting supplement but rather a canine meals supplement
- Does not have MSM and chondroitin, even although the degree of glucosamine is substantial
9. Terramax Pro Best Hip And Joint Supplement
It also consists of Hyaluronic Acid in its formulation to supply enhanced articular cushioning. Aside from joint and hip support, it can also help with skin issues, irritation, and more.
- Contains hyaluronic acid which can maximize the results of other elements
- Comes in liquid sort for straightforward administering
- Can also deal with skin concerns abdomen ailments and incontinence
- Doesn’t come with a measuring cup which could lead to inconsistent dosages
10. Topdog Health Dogs Joint Supplement
- Superb quantities of MSM glucosamine and chondroitin for far better joint well-being advantages
- Inclusion of proprietary joint health technologies to additional enhance the final results of the three important substances.
- Comes in easy to administer and superb tasting chewable tablet kind
- Very pricey in contrast to other manufacturers
Dog Joint Supplements Ingredients and Their Benefits
Several ingredients are considered essential for improving the overall health of canine articulations, while also relieving symptoms associated with such specific conditions.
Here are the most popular joint supplements ingredients for dogs and what they all do for your pet.
Glucosamine, as we have already discovered, is a naturally occurring compound that has been scientifically proven to stimulate cartilage growth. That cartilage is important for (filling up) your dog’s joints. Think of it as a kind of natural anti-inflammatory.
Physiologically, chondroitin is a very crucial structural element of cartilage. Its main function is to resist compression so that the underlying bone structure is not easily damaged. It has also been shown to significantly reduce cartilage breakdown, giving the body enough time to repair and heal the damaged joint surface.
3. Omega Fatty Acids
Another important ingredient comes in the form of omega fatty acids. These ingredients help with good eye development, skin health, and brain function. However, Omega fatty acids are mainly used to reduce joint inflammation, which can help relieve pain due to dysplasia, osteoarthritis, or injuries.
4. Hyaluronic acid
Hyaluronic acid is another substance found in the connective tissue of your dog’s joints, and it is important for joint mobility and function. Hyaluronic acid supplements are, therefore, sometimes also recommended for dogs with joint pain or arthritis.
Methylsulfonylmethane or MSM is another popular ingredient found in many dog joint supplements. It is especially helpful in reducing signs and symptoms of inflammation, which is often a hallmark of joint problems, especially those of the membranes. Adding to its exceptional anti-inflammatory property is its ability to neutralize circulating free radicals that can exacerbate any inflammatory condition, especially in the joints. MSM is also beneficial for repairing cartilage tissue more efficiently, as it provides sulfur to the crucial building blocks of cartilage. This also leads to the more efficient production of collagen, a protein that is an important part of many tissues in the body, such as the skin and cartilage. Increasing collagen supply can also help improve the overall health and flexibility of these structures.
FAQs About Joint Supplements For Dogs
What are joint supplements for dogs, and how do they work?
A joint supplement is a pill or chewable tablet that contains ingredients to support and maintain joint health. The exact ingredients and potencies can vary greatly from supplement to supplement.
However, every joint supplement has the same goal: to reduce pain and stiffness in your dog’s joints. The most common ingredients in joint supplements are glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM. Glucosamine stimulates cartilage growth and fills your dog’s joints. It has been scientifically proven to reduce a dog’s joint pain and improve mobility, with most patients showing improvements within 70 days.
Chondroitin reduces cartilage wear by inhibiting certain cartilage-destroying chemicals. This prevents further damage to your dog’s joints.
MSM has not been rigorously tested, so the exact effectiveness is unknown. However, it is thought to act as an antioxidant, which can prevent damage to your dog’s cells. It is also extremely safe and occurs naturally in rainwater and most natural streams.
What are the signs that your dog has joint problems?
Different joint problems can lead to different symptoms. The most common symptoms you may notice are the following:
- Difficulty climbing stairs
- Bunny hopping
- Difficulty getting up
You should be aware that not all dogs show such symptoms when they suffer from joint problems. As such, it is best to consult your vet if you notice any irregularities in your dog’s movement.
Are painkillers beneficial for dogs with hip and joint problems?
In addition to hip and joint supplements that can repair and maintain cartilage in the joints and/or reduce inflammation, many dogs with hip or joint problems have an improved quality of life if they take painkillers regularly.
Does my dog need a joint supplement?
Three main categories of dogs require joint supplements: older dogs, dogs prone to joint disease, and dogs already diagnosed with joint disease. If your dog falls into one of these categories, he or she will likely benefit from a joint supplement. You can read more about which dogs particularly need joint supplements in our Who Should Buy Joint Supplement for Dogs section.
When should you start giving your dog glucosamine?
It is not a problem to give glucosamine to your dog at any age. However, make sure to consult your vet first so he can advise you on the correct dosage for your pet. Since glucosamine is a dietary supplement, it does not lead to serious side effects and may even serve as a preventative for joint problems and arthritis.
Dog joint problems are a major concern for many dog owners as it affects their pet’s comfort and mobility and significantly impairs their ability to bond and socialize with their owner and other dogs.
Fortunately, you can prevent your dog from suffering by taking supplements regularly. It is also possible to prevent the early symptoms of joint problems by referring to a detailed report and analysis of a DNA testing kit for dogs and following the advice on your dog’s breed, diet, and other factors.