This site is supported by our readers. We may earn a commission, at no cost to you, if you purchase through links.
Do you have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel in your home? If so, you know that these furry friends need the right nutrition to stay happy and healthy. Unfortunately, obesity affects over half of all Cavaliers according to recent statistics.
So providing them with well-balanced meals is essential! Luckily for pet owners, there are plenty of top quality dog foods on the market specifically tailored towards this breed’s needs.
In this article, we will look at 10 best food options for your Cavalier King Charles Spaniel in 2023 along with their calorie requirements and how to properly switch up their diet as they age.
Table Of Contents
- Key Takeaways
- Top 10 Best Dog Foods for Cavalier King Charles Spaniels
- Real Beef Dog Food
- Royal Canin HP Hydrolyzed Protein Dog Food
- Blue Buffalo Dog Food
- ORIJEN Senior Dog Food
- Hill’s Science Diet Adult Dog Food Sensitive Stomach Skin Chicken
- CANIDAE Pure Lamb Dog Food
- Nutro Natural Choice Small Breed Adult
- Merrick Lil Plates Chicken Treats
- Taste Wild High Prairie Dog Food
- Solid Gold Mighty Mini Gut Health
- Cavalier King Charles Spaniels Food Calorie Requirements
- How to Switch Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Dog Food
- Health Dietary Changes in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- What is the best type of food for Cavalier King Charles Spaniels?
- How often should I feed my Cavalier King Charles Spaniel?
- What is the difference between puppy and adult Cavalier King Charles Spaniel food?
- What should I do if my Cavalier King Charles Spaniel has food allergies?
- Are there any special considerations for overweight Cavaliers?
- Cavaliers need between 20 to 30 calories per pound of body weight each day.
- Feeding twice a day is recommended for Cavaliers.
- Puppy food has higher levels of protein and fat, while adult food focuses on weight maintenance.
- Switching dog food should be done gradually over several days or weeks.
Top 10 Best Dog Foods for Cavalier King Charles Spaniels
Looking for the best food to feed your Cavalier King Charles Spaniel? Whether you’re looking for Real Beef Dog Food, Royal Canin HP Hydrolyzed Protein Dog Food, Blue Buffalo Dog Food, ORIJEN Senior Dog Food, Hill’s Science Diet Adult Dog Food Sensitive Stomach Skin Chicken, or CANIDAE Pure Lamb dog food – there are a variety of quality foods available.
Nutro Natural Choice Small Breed Adult and Merrick Lil Plates Chicken Treats offer nutrition tailored specifically to smaller breeds. Taste Wild High Prairie and Solid Gold Mighty Mini Gut Health have special ingredients that may help support gut health.
With so many options out there, it can be hard to choose the right one – but with careful consideration, you’ll find something perfect for your pup!
Real Beef Dog Food
View On Chewy
Real Beef Dog Food is an all-natural, protein-packed recipe that your pup will love. It contains essential vitamins and minerals and does not contain any grains or fillers. This premium grain-free dog food is frozen in its prime to maintain nutrients. It is also cold-pressured to create a safe raw meal.
Additionally, it is designed to promote lean muscles as well as healthy teeth and gums. This dog food is made in the USA and is suitable for all breeds of dogs. It can be just what your Cavalier King Charles Spaniel needs for optimal nutrition.
- All-natural ingredients
- Protein-packed recipe
- No grains or fillers
- Essential vitamins & minerals
- Promotes muscle health & dental hygiene
- Some dogs may not enjoy the taste or texture
- Composition changes may lead to vomiting or diarrhea
- Cost could be prohibitive
Royal Canin HP Hydrolyzed Protein Dog Food
View On Chewy
Royal Canin HP Hydrolyzed Protein Dog Food is designed for adult dogs and puppies with food sensitivities, helping reduce skin and GI reactions to common proteins. The hydrolyzed proteins are broken down to a size that’s less likely to be recognized by the immune system, minimizing the risk of a reaction.
An exclusive blend of fibers and prebiotics helps support healthy digestion while essential nutrients reinforce the skin barrier in dogs with sensitivity or irritation issues. This hypoallergenic diet comes in 25-pound bags made in the USA for all breeds – small, medium, or large – making it an ideal choice for pet parents looking after their pup’s health needs.
User feedback has been positive overall; many owners have reported improvements on digestive issues as well as energy levels when switching their dog over to this food brand. However, some customers have complained about unpleasant smells from the product or runny poop caused by formula changes from time to time.
- Hypoallergenic protein source reduces allergic reactions
- Proprietary blend of fiber & prebiotics supports healthy digestion
- Essential vitamins help strengthen immunity & promote healthy skin
- Suitable for all breeds – small, medium & large
- Unpleasant smell may occur at times
- Formula changes can cause runny stool
- Pricey compared to other similar products
Blue Buffalo Dog Food
View On Chewy
Blue Buffalo Dog Food provides an array of essential vitamins, minerals, and amino acids to keep your canine companion healthy and energized. With real chicken as the first ingredient, this hypoallergenic recipe is made without corn, wheat, or soy and is raw-coated for a delicious taste.
It also includes added nutrition from peas and lentils, as well as antioxidants and probiotics for immune system health support. Dogs love the taste of it too! Customers have reported improved coat sheen in their dogs after feeding them Blue Buffalo Dog Food, while others noted increased energy levels in their pooches after they switched over to this food brand.
However, some customers had unpleasant experiences with it – bad smells coming off the kibble being one of them – while other users reported runny stool when switching over to Blue Buffalo from another food source or even refusing outrightly to eat it altogether due to its texture or lack thereof! Quality control issues were mentioned by some customers who experienced formula changes that resulted in diarrhea amongst other side effects like weight gain due to high-calorie content.
However, adding homemade shredded chicken breast seemed to help enhance its flavor greatly according to customer reviews online.
- Essential protein for healthy muscle development
- Carbs for energy
- Calcium & other vitamins for strong bones & teeth
- Glucosamine joint health & mobility support
- Vitamins, chelated minerals & antioxidants
- Unpleasant smells
- Runny stools
- Refusal/Unappetizing Taste
- Quality Control Issues
- Formula Changes
- Weight Gain
ORIJEN Senior Dog Food
View On Chewy
Experience the power of ORIJEN Senior Dog Food, with its vacuum-sealed packaging and refrigeration method for maximum freshness, to help keep your aging pup feeling young and energetic. This high-end food is made from approximately 85% quality poultry and fish ingredients to provide senior dogs with all their essential vitamins, minerals, amino acids, as well as joint support.
It contains raw ingredients that are frozen at their peak freshness, so you can be sure that your pooch is getting only the freshest nutrition possible.
The omega fatty acids promote skin and coat health, while prebiotic fiber supports healthy digestion—all without artificial flavors or colors! Plus, it has a strong smell of fish, which many pups seem to enjoy.
However, there have been changes in ownership recently, which may have affected the quality of this product. Some users report vomiting after consuming the new formula or increased water intake due to elevated kidney/liver enzymes since starting this food (always consult a vet before use).
Additionally, some fish ingredients might be high in mercury levels, leading them not to be suitable for every dog’s diet plan.
- Contains raw proteins frozen at peak freshness for maximum nutrient value
- Omega fatty acids promote skin & coat health
- Prebiotic fiber promotes digestive health
- No artificial flavors or colors added
- Recent change in ownership/recipe may affect product quality
- Some dogs experience vomiting after consuming the new formula
- Increased water intake due to some elevated kidney/liver enzymes reported by some users
- Some Fish Ingredients High In Mercury Levels
Hill’s Science Diet Adult Dog Food Sensitive Stomach Skin Chicken
View On Chewy
Discover how Hill’s Science Diet Adult Dog Food Sensitive Stomach Skin Chicken can help resolve digestive issues and promote healthy skin and coat in your Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. This hypoallergenic diet is made with natural ingredients, added vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and prebiotic fiber for optimal digestion support.
It also contains omega-6 fatty acids to nourish the skin. The food includes beet pulp as a source of prebiotic fiber, which helps maintain energy levels.
Many customers have been happy with this food’s effectiveness. They have reported improved energy levels in older dogs, resolved sensitive stomach issues, reduced morning vomiting, firmer elimination, improved bowel movement regularity, and resolution of itching/hair loss caused by recent bag formula changes.
These were all reported benefits that users noticed after feeding their pet this dog food product from Hill’s Science Diet brand.
However, some owners did report liver and gallbladder problems or pancreatitis occurring shortly after transitioning their pup onto this diet.
- Hypoallergenic & natural ingredients
- Contains added vitamins & minerals
- Prebiotic Fiber supports digestion Health
- Omega 6 fatty acids nourish the skin
- Reports of increased energy level in aged dogs
- Reported cases of liver & gall bladder problems or pancreatitis shortly after transition
- Quality control issue leading to hair loss/itching may occur
CANIDAE Pure Lamb Dog Food
View On Chewy
Treat your Cavalier King Charles Spaniel to CANIDAE Pure Lamb Dog Food, a delicious grain-free feast that sparkles with omega fatty acids and prebiotics for optimal digestion. Crafted with 8 key ingredients, including real lamb as the first ingredient, this hypoallergenic recipe is made without corn, wheat, or soy.
Plus, it contains added nutrition from peas and lentils—just what your pup needs for healthy skin & coat support! Omega-3 & -6 fatty acids promote healthy skin, while calcium helps maintain strong bones and joints.
- Real lamb as the first ingredient
- Grain-free formula
- Hypoallergenic recipe – no corn, wheat, or soy
- Added nutrition from peas lentils
- Omega 3 6 help support a healthy coat
- Calcium supports strong bones joints
- May not work for every dog
- Quality control issues reported by some customers
Nutro Natural Choice Small Breed Adult
View On Chewy
You’ll love how Nutro Natural Choice Small Breed Adult nourishes your pup with real chicken as the first ingredient. It also contains omega-3 and -6 fatty acids for skin and coat health, calcium to support strong bones and joints, and prebiotic fiber for optimal digestion.
This high-quality food is made in the USA from carefully sourced ingredients around the world. It does not contain any bad stuff like chicken by-product meal, corn, wheat, soy, or artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives.
Plus, it’s human-grade, non-GMO, natural, molasses-free, and suitable for sensitive digestion.
The high protein crunchy texture of this food helps control plaque buildup to keep teeth clean, making it perfect for small breed adult dogs. Even picky eaters will love this tasty kibble that provides them with balanced nutrition.
- Real chicken is the first ingredient
- Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids promote skin and coat health
- Calcium supports strong bones and joints
- Prebiotic fiber aids digestion
- Human Grade Non-GMO Natural Molasses Free Sensitive Digestion No Corn No Wheat No Soy High Protein Crunchy Texture helps control plaque buildup
- Some customers have difficulty getting their dog to eat it
- Packaging issues reported with defective bags
Merrick Lil Plates Chicken Treats
View On Chewy
With Merrick Lil Plates Chicken Treats, your pup can enjoy a delicious snack that’s packed with prebiotic fiber and omega fatty acids for optimal digestion and skin/coat health. Made in the USA with natural ingredients, you can rest assured knowing this grain-free treat is free of artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives.
Real deboned chicken is the first ingredient for paw-some taste, while calcium helps to support strong bones and joints.
- Protein-packed recipe made from real deboned chicken
- Soft treats perfect for small mouths
- Omega fatty acids promote healthy skin & coat
- Prebiotic fiber supports optimal digestion
- Great value – 6 ounces per bag
- Some dogs find them too hard
- Not suitable or appealing to all dogs
- It is important to seal the bag tightly after opening.
Taste Wild High Prairie Dog Food
View On Chewy
You can trust Taste of the Wild High Prairie Dog Food to keep your Cavalier King Charles Spaniel healthy and energized, with its real bison and venison as the first ingredient, plus added prebiotics for optimal digestion.
This grain-free kibble contains 32% protein to support bones, joints, and lean muscles, while providing essential vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients. Omega fatty acids help maintain skin health, while K9 Strain Proprietary Probiotics aid in immune system health.
Made in the USA by a family-owned brand that is highly recommended by retired vet techs for dogs with sensitive stomachs or skin issues, this food has been known to reduce ear infections in some instances too!
Switching from regular dog food to Taste of the Wild can also improve stool quality, along with reducing gas production, which will result in better body odor.
The only downside may be the price, since it tends to be on the more expensive side when compared to similar brands.
- Real meat as the #1 ingredient
- High Protein (32%)
- Contains vitamins & minerals
- Omega fatty acids
- K9 strain proprietary probiotics
- Highly recommended
- Expensive compared to other brands
- Can cause diarrhea/sensitive stomach reactions
- Not suitable for all breeds
Solid Gold Mighty Mini Gut Health
View On Chewy
If your small dog is a picky eater, Solid Gold Mighty Mini Gut Health offers high-quality ingredients and delicious flavor to fuel their giant personalities. This grain and gluten-free chicken and hearty vegetable recipe contains easily digestible protein, nutritious superfoods, and omega fatty acids for skin health.
The small bites are perfect for toy dogs’ mouths, while the heart-shaped kibbles make it an appetizing meal even if they have little appetite or have been ill.
- High-quality ingredients that provide balanced nutrition
- Perfect size pieces of food suited to smaller breed dogs
- Highly palatable with tasty flavors that some dogs become addicted to
- Not suitable for all canine breeds – may not work well with English Bulldogs
- Some customers reported soft stools when using the nutrient boost version of the product
- Allergies/sensitivities experienced by some pets such as itching and runny eyes
Cavalier King Charles Spaniels Food Calorie Requirements
Understanding your Cavalier King Charles Spaniel’s calorie requirements is essential for managing their health and wellness. Research shows that adult dogs need between 20 to 30 calories per pound of body weight each day, depending on their activity level and size.
Tracking your pet’s diet involves counting calories, monitoring food switching, tracking energy levels, and selecting the right food with proper vitamins and minerals. It is important to choose dog foods from quality brands that have been tested by professional organizations like AAFCO for safety standards.
Dog owners should also be aware of their pup’s age range when it comes to calorie intake. Puppies may require more caloric density than adults, while senior canines typically need less fuel due to the decrease in physical activity associated with aging pets.
When selecting any type of dog food, keep an eye out for high-quality proteins from sources such as beef or poultry. Additionally, look for other wholesome ingredients like fruits, vegetables, grains, fiber, fatty acids, antioxidants, probiotics, vitamins, and minerals.
How to Switch Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Dog Food
Switching your pup’s diet can be a daunting task, but with the right steps, you’ll have your Cavalier King Charles feeling their best in no time.
- Monitor portion control and food quality – pay attention to calorie requirements and make sure to choose high-quality ingredients that contribute to joint health, coat shine, and overall energy levels.
- Consider brand selection carefully – there are many dog foods on the market today, so it’s important to research different brands before switching diets. Also, consider age-specific diets as puppies or seniors may require different nutrition than adult Cavaliers do.
- Feed a variety of proteins – offering multiple sources of protein helps reduce food allergies while boosting nutrient absorption for optimal health benefits for all life stages from puppies to senior dogs alike!
Making dietary changes should always be done gradually by slowly introducing new foods over several days or even weeks until they become part of the daily routine.
With patience and precautionary measures taken along the way, switching dog food doesn’t have to be complicated at all – just follow these simple guidelines each step of the way for smooth sailing when transitioning pups onto their new diet plan!
Health Dietary Changes in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels
It’s essential to make dietary changes for your Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, such as providing high-quality food and avoiding fillers and artificial additives, to promote good health.
Different nutritional needs arise at various stages of a dog’s life. Puppies require more calories than adults, while seniors need less fat and protein in their diet. To reduce the risk of food sensitivities in Cavaliers, look for grain-free or hypoallergenic formulas that are specifically formulated with limited ingredients designed to minimize allergens.
High-quality proteins provide balanced nutrition, while probiotics aid digestion by introducing beneficial bacteria into the gut microbiome, promoting healthy immunity and overall healthiness.
Additionally, consider calorie intake when switching foods – some breeds may require fewer or more calories than others – so ensure this is taken into account when making any transitional changes. Feeding twice daily can help avoid overfeeding, which increases chances of obesity, while offering higher-grade diets will save money on vet trips due to improved animal well-being.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the best type of food for Cavalier King Charles Spaniels?
When it comes to feeding your Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, you want to choose a food that is tailored to their specific needs. Look for high-quality proteins, AAFCO approval, and avoid fillers or artificial additives.
Different foods are suitable for puppies, adults, and seniors – consider switching up the diet as they age.
How often should I feed my Cavalier King Charles Spaniel?
Feed your Cavalier King Charles Spaniel twice a day to keep them healthy and happy. Choose high-quality food tailored to their age and needs, which helps prevent health issues and saves money on vet visits.
What is the difference between puppy and adult Cavalier King Charles Spaniel food?
Puppy food has higher levels of protein and fat to support healthy growth, while adult Cavalier King Charles Spaniel food is focused on maintaining a healthy weight. Puppy formulas also have added nutrients for developing brains, bones, and immune systems.
Adult foods contain fewer calories as well as joint-supporting supplements like glucosamine for older dogs.
What should I do if my Cavalier King Charles Spaniel has food allergies?
If your Cavalier King Charles Spaniel has food allergies, it’s time to act fast! Start by talking to your vet for the best advice. Consider switching foods and introducing hypoallergenic options with high-quality ingredients that can help minimize reactions.
Are there any special considerations for overweight Cavaliers?
Yes, if your Cavalier is overweight, it’s important to provide a diet that meets their nutritional needs. Nutro Ultra and Wellness are suitable options as they contain high-quality protein and no fillers or artificial additives.
Cavalier King Charles Spaniels require a very specific diet that meets their special nutritional needs. With the right food, they can remain healthy and active, while avoiding many common health issues.
Surprisingly, up to 82% of pet owners are unaware of the importance of feeding their dog a high-quality diet. Fortunately, there are many excellent options that can provide your Cavalier King Charles Spaniel with the nutrition they need.
From Real Beef Dog Food to Solid Gold Mighty Mini Gut Health, these 10 best dog foods are sure to meet the dietary needs of your Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.
With the right food, you can ensure your pup is happy, healthy, and thriving.