This site is supported by our readers. We may earn a commission, at no cost to you, if you purchase through links.
If your dog has food allergies or intolerances, life can be miserable – both for you and your puppy; let us help you start your research for the best dog food for allergies.
An allergy is an immune response of the body to stimulating exposure, whether it is food, dust, pollen, or other substances. for which the body has become sensitive.
- Scabs or rashes on the skin
- Chronic ear infections
- Red, inflamed skin
- Itching that leads to excessive scratching or biting at the skin, paws, or ears
Common food allergies include wheat, chicken, dairy products, beef, and eggs, although dogs, like humans, can develop allergies to various things.
Typical allergy treatments can relieve symptoms but will not eliminate them; you must remove the perpetrators from your dog’s diet.
To ensure that your dog’s food does not contain any hidden allergens, you must rely on food that is the best dog food for allergies, and here comes our list of the best dog food for allergy.
Table Of Contents
- The Best Dog Foods for Allergies (Quick Summary)
- Important Features to Consider to Find the Best Dog Food for Dogs With Allergies
- 10 Best Dog Foods for Allergies of 2022
- 1. Best Overall Dog Food: Purina Pro Plan FOCUS Allergies Stomach Dog Food
- 2. Zignature Turkey Limited Ingredient
- 3. Taste Of The Wild Grain Free Premium Dry Dog Food Salmon
- 4. Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diet
- 5. Diamond Care Dog Food
- 6. Hill’s Science Diet
- 7. Holistic Select Natural Dry Dog Food
- 8. NUTRO Limited Ingredient Diet Venison
- 9. Diamond Naturals Real Meat Recipe Premium Specialty Dog Food
- 10. Blue Buffalo Basics Duck Natural Adult Dry Dog Food Salmon
- Different Types of Dog Food for Allergies
- Causes of Dog Allergies
- How can I help my dog with allergies?
- FAQs About Dog Food for Allergies
- Final Words
The Best Dog Foods for Allergies (Quick Summary)
|Best Overall Dog Food: Purina Pro Plan FOCUS Allergies Stomach Dog Food|
4.5 out of 5
|Zignature Turkey Limited Ingredient|
4.5 out of 5
|Taste Of The Wild Grain Free Premium Dry Dog Food Salmon|
4.5 out of 5
|Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diet|
4.5 out of 5
|Diamond Care Dog Food|
4.5 out of 5
|Hill’s Science Diet|
5 out of 5
|Holistic Select Natural Dry Dog Food|
4.5 out of 5
|NUTRO Limited Ingredient Diet Venison|
4.5 out of 5
|Diamond Naturals Real Meat Recipe Premium Specialty Dog Food|
4.5 out of 5
|Blue Buffalo Basics Duck Natural Adult Dry Dog Food Salmon|
4.5 out of 5
Important Features to Consider to Find the Best Dog Food for Dogs With Allergies
Choosing the right and best dog food for dogs with allergies can be challenging if you don’t understand the mechanism behind the development of such conditions.
Unfortunately, many dog food manufacturers do not understand the unique pathophysiology of food allergies, so they continue to produce dog food products with high allergenic potential.
You should focus more on looking for a dog food that has the least potential to cause an allergic reaction in your dog. Here’s how to choose the best dog food for skin allergies:
- Limited ingredients: the fewer ingredients in your dog’s food, the less likely you are to have an allergic reaction. The sad reality of dogs who are allergic or sensitive to food, you may never know exactly what caused his allergic reaction. To make your life easier, instead of using expensive tests and prescription drugs from the start, you can start by trying foods with a limited number of ingredients that don’t contain unnecessary foods.
- New proteins: New proteins are less common protein sources in dog food, and therefore there is a lower risk of allergies. New proteins include bison, lamb, rabbit, game, and herring.
- Grain-Free: While some domestic dogs have adapted to a more modern diet, grains are still more difficult for their bodies to digest than the meat and vegetables they would be fed without a human parent. Grain-free dog food may be just what he needs to make it. Making sure he gets the food he needs while also avoiding the added strain on his digestive system.
- No Dairy Products: Most dogs cannot tolerate dairy, and many can develop allergies. It’s best to avoid dairy.
- Raw food: it is the closest thing to your dog’s biologically preferred diet. It may seem gross, but the truth is, manufacturers can preserve the food, so you give your dog the food his body craves. That’s what helps him digest and prevent allergic reactions, all the better.
There is a huge variety of dog foods to choose from, and they all have different ingredients. Keep trying new ingredients s, and you will find one that your dog likes and won’t cause any allergy symptoms.
Now let’s move onto our list of the best dog food for allergies
10 Best Dog Foods for Allergies of 2022
Do your dog itching and scratch itself, or does it have stomach problems? Allergens in his food can be the culprit.
We have found the 10 best dog food for dogs with allergies, including dog food without grains and with limited ingredients, and have listed this below.
1. Best Overall Dog Food: Purina Pro Plan FOCUS Allergies Stomach Dog Food
Our choice for the best dog food for skin allergies is the Purina brand is no stranger to pet owners around the world and is widely regarded as a market leader in the production of pet food, supplements, and other products.
The Purina Pro Plan Focus is tailor-made for adult dogs with sensitive skin and stomach, with an easily digestible formula and carefully selected ingredients to reduce your dog’s exposure to food allergens.
The chunks are suitable for dogs of all breeds and sizes and contain real salmon as the main ingredient. Salmon and sunflower oil are rich in Omega-6, while fish oil is a source of Omega-3 – essential fatty acids that have been proven to help improve the skin and fur of a dog.
The Purina Pro Plan Focus contains vitamins, including vitamin A for brain and eye development, group B vitamins such as B3, B5, B1, B12, B6, and B9 for heart, skin, and digestive health, as well as vitamin E that acts as an antioxidant.
Natural prebiotic fiber is also found, which helps digestion by maintaining intestinal balance and good bacteria to support your dog’s overall well-being. Meanwhile, a mixture of barley, ground rice, oatmeal, and rapeseed meal makes it easy for your dog to digest the food, and the digestive system is soft, while fish meal and salmon meal provide a source of glucosamine to support healthy joints and better mobility.
- Rich in essential fatty acids for improved skin and coat
- Formulated for easy digestion, gentle on the stomach
- Contains vitamins for improved overall health
- Probiotics maintain a healthy digestive system.m
- Boosts immunity
- No soy, wheat, and corn, which are common allergens
- Strong fish smell
- Attracts bugs in warm weather
2. Zignature Turkey Limited Ingredient
This food consists of a few ingredients, which means that it contains no hidden allergens. The idea of the food is similar to what your dog could get in the wild.
The only source of meat protein in this dog food is turkey and turkey flour. The turkey was raised on the farm.
This gives the food a crude protein of 31%, which is really high for any type of dog food. There are also chickpeas in this food that also add some good protein to the food.
Because chicken is actually a general dog allergen, you never see chicken or chicken by-products in this food.
The carbohydrates in the Zignature food come from dried beet pulp and linseed. This means that there are very few carbohydrates in this food. Because carbohydrates are a major cause of allergies, it would make sense that this food does not have much.
Turkey is lean meat, so most fats in this food come from sunflower oil. It is full of Omega 6 and Omega 3 fatty acids.
Although there are not many ingredients in this food, there are still many great nutrients. The vitamin A and vitamin C in this food come from alfalfa flour.
This includes calcium, phosphorus, and crude fiber. In fact, there is 6% crude fiber in this food. The flavors of the food are also natural, derived from bone broth.
- One protein source
- Limited ingredients
- Made with farm-raised turkey
- We didn’t find any!
3. Taste Of The Wild Grain Free Premium Dry Dog Food Salmon
View On AmazonTaste of the Wild is a well-known international dog food brand. Although they do not have THE largest assortment of puppy food we have ever encountered in our research, Taste of the Wild still offers us a lot of choices. Produced by Diamond Pet Food (yes, another Diamond brand!), The chunks are all made here in the United States.
Taste of the Wild first appeared just over ten years ago in 2007, and all the dry puppy food and dog food are made without grains.
They are strongly focused on using only natural ingredients and have real animal protein at the top of their ingredient list.
Although they do not advertise themselves as a human-grade dog food brand, they use fairly high-quality ingredients and do not rely on animal by-products to keep their prices affordable. They also make cat food and wet canned casseroles for dogs.
With premium ingredients with added vitamins and minerals, fruits and vegetables packed with antioxidants, and a fatty acid blend for skin and fur health, this grain-free dog food is both nutritious and highly digestible.
It is rich in protein for strong, lean muscles and has an optimal amino acid profile to support your dog’s health. Plus, with real salmon as the # 1 ingredient, dogs love the rich, wild taste.
- At the 25% protein mark, it’s developed to keep those strong muscles in shape.
- With no eggs, beef, or chicken, it’s one pretty good option for dogs who need to avoid certain inclusions.
- It’s full of healthy fiber and nutritious vitamins, both from garden vegetables and superfood fruits.
- It contains all the mineral supplements that your dog needs to stay happy, healthy, and in great shape (along with those fruit and veg!).
- It contains potatoes, which some of our fluffy friends need to avoid.
4. Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diet
View On AmazonNatural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet consists of relatively few ingredients, which is an important characteristic of allergy-friendly dog food.
In addition, this food with limited ingredients contains no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives, further reducing the risk of allergies to your pet.
Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet uses lamb as the only primary protein source and brown rice as the primary carbohydrate – both are rarely involved in food allergies. The recipe also contains canola oil, which provides a good source of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids.
lamb meat, dried tomato pulp, brewer’s yeast, dried yeast, natural flavor, salt, potassium chloride, taurine, vitamins (vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Inositol, niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin A supplement, riboflavin supplement, thiamine nitrate, beta-carotene, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, biotin), minerals (iron sulfate, iron protein, zinc protein, zinc oxide, copper oxide, zinc oxide, copper oxide-copper protein, manganese oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), choline chloride, citric acid (used as a preservative), rosemary extract.
- Many owners report that their dogs digest this food better than many similar products, and some have even remarked that the food reduced the amount of gas from which their dog suffered. Additionally, the kibble is reportedly designed to encourage your dog (particularly if it is a large breed) to chew thoroughly, which can help aid the digestive process.
- Like some other hypoallergenic dog foods, Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet is a little pricier than regular dog foods ($49.49 for a 28-pound bag), but it is quite reasonable when compared to other hypoallergenic foods.
5. Diamond Care Dog Food
Diamond Care Dog Food was developed by animal nutrition experts and veterinarians and is a trusted brand that meets the various needs of your pet, such as for sensitive skin, stomach, and weight management.
The sensitive skin series has been specially developed for dogs with skin allergies and designed to improve their skin and fur, in addition to stimulating the immune system with various vitamins and essential nutrients.
It is suitable for adult dogs of all breeds, sizes, and activity levels.
To aid digestion, Diamond Care uses high-quality proteins from a single source: hydrolyzed salmon.
The formula is further enriched with essential omega fatty acids to improve the health of the skin and coat, obtained from sources such as sunflower oil and salmon oil.
This offers a balanced ratio of Omega-3 and Omega-6, which is often lacking in other commercial dog food. The limited number of selected ingredients reduces the number of possible allergens and ensures that your pet receives sufficient nutrients.
Diamond Care, made in the USA with ingredients from trusted sources around the world, uses scientifically advanced food safety protocols. Animal feed tests using AAFCO procedures support that Diamond Care provides complete and balanced food for the maintenance of adult dogs.
The Diamond Care is supplied in chunks in packages of 8 or 25 lb. The 25-pound package takes about two months for a medium-sized dog of about 30 to 40 pounds, which gets 2 ½ to 3 heads daily. To switch from your regular dog food, start by adding small amounts to the existing food and increase the amount slowly.
- Single protein source from salmon
- Limited ingredients narrow down potential allergens
- Easily digestible
- Contains Vitamin A, Group B vitamins and D3
- Strict quality control and safety standards
- Only comes in one practical size
6. Hill’s Science Diet
View On AmazonHill’s Science Diet specially formulated their recipe for large breeds to meet every need that a large dog will have. It is made from high-quality chicken that gives them not only an optimal protein source but also an excellent fat source that gives them lean muscles.
Some of the high-quality ingredients used contain natural sources of glucosamine and chondroitin, which is essential to help your large dog have ideal joint and bone health to support their massive bodies.
All ingredients are easy to digest and certainly offer a high-quality food source that your large dog can benefit from inside and out. Although this diet is specially made for large breeds, it is best if your large dog has a normal activity level when eating this food so that they do not miss or get calories for their energy level.
- Contains 24.7% protein
- 15% of fat
- Chicken is the first ingredient
Large breed dogs such as the Cane Corso need a scientific diet that supports the health of their body so that they can stay active for longer.
- Available in 15 and 30-pound bag options
- Ideal for adult dogs over a year old
- Contains wheat and corn as the first few ingredients, which risks them being used mainly as filler ingredients
7. Holistic Select Natural Dry Dog Food
View On AmazonThis recipe uses a single source called protein: lamb, and only lamb. There is no other source of animal protein. This dog food should be one of the best dog foods for skin allergies due to this single source.
The protein from one source is also considered hypoallergenic. Admittedly, the plants used, such as linseed and peas, also have a vegetable protein content, which should slightly increase the protein content.
The carbohydrates supplied, in this case, ground brown rice and ground white rice, as well as alfalfa, is gluten-free and a good alternative to wheat, corn, and soy.
Wheat, corn, and soy are known to cause allergic reactions in dogs. These ingredients also contain fibers that help with the digestive process and keep the dog regularly.
Chicken fat contains linoleic acid that is rich in omega-6 fatty acids, while linseed is rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Both are considered essential for optimum nutritional health.
The chicken fat is preserved with mixed tocopherols that are not considered harmful to a dog or that are likely to cause an allergic reaction.
Vitamins and minerals are well represented in this recipe. Vitamins include A, B12, C, D, and E. Minerals present are zinc, iron, copper, manganese, and potassium.
The minerals are sequestered to limit deterioration and make them more digestible for the dog’s digestive tract.
Beet pulp is one of those controversial ingredients with two clearly opposing camps. However, most experts agree that beet pulp in the amounts present here is very acceptable as an ingredient for hypoallergenic dog food.
- Single source, named, hypoallergenic protein
- Live micro-organisms
- Chelated minerals
- No wheat, corn, or soy
- Added fruit and vegetables
- Ingredients are natural, not organic or non-GMO
8. NUTRO Limited Ingredient Diet Venison
View On AmazonNutro Limited Ingredient Diet Venison contains venison 1. Venison is the only animal protein, making it a fantastic option for dogs that are allergic to most other animal proteins.
Nutro Limited ingredient diet (MEMBER) is made with 10 important ingredients or less, making ingredient lists as short as possible and very manageable for owners of dogs with allergies following an elimination diet.
This ultra-pure dog food contains no chicken, beef, or dairy protein – hurray!
Nutro LID is also grain-free, corn-free, wheat, soy, and dairy-free to prevent these common allergens. It has no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives. It is also made with non-GMO ingredients and contains useful vitamins and minerals.
dried sweet potato, potato starch, potato protein, sunflower oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), natural flavor, dehydrated alfalfa flour, dried common beet pulp, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, DL-methionine, mixed tocopherols, and citric acid Acid (preservatives), Taurine, zinc sulfate, niacin supplement, biotin, vitamin E supplement, iron amino acid chelate, D-calcium pantothenate, selenium yeast, riboflavin supplement B2 vitamin supplement)), copper amino acid chelate, vitamin B12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), manganese amino acid chelate, vitamin A supplement, thiamine nitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, rosemary extract.
- Because it features only hydrolyzed protein sources, even dogs with especially troubling food allergies should be able to digest it without problems.
- At $49.95 for an 8-pound bag, Royal Canin HP Hypoallergenic Dog Food is on the pricey side, but there are few better options for a dog coping with serious food allergies. You may need to get authorization from your vet before purchasing this product.
9. Diamond Naturals Real Meat Recipe Premium Specialty Dog Food
View On AmazonHypoallergenic food is great for dogs with skin allergies because the ingredients have split their components into the most basic building blocks, reducing the risk of a side effect.
The Diamond Naturals Real Meat Recipe is one of these types. Although most dog food for sensitive skin and allergies is limited to adult dogs, Diamond Naturals is suitable for all stages of life, so that even puppies and seniors can benefit from the grain-free, salmon and potato formula.
Diamond Naturals has a premium, hypoallergenic ingredients with added vitamins and minerals, as well as a variety of fruit and vegetable superfoods that are rich in antioxidants. 100% of wild-caught salmon offers high-quality proteins and an optimal amino acid profile for lean, strong muscles.
Salmon has essential fatty acids that are important for skin and fur health. Meanwhile, lentils, peas, and carrots are superfoods and complex carbohydrates that are more digestible.
The advantage of pets because of the presence of powerful antioxidants in their diet in the form of blueberries, spinach, oranges, coconut, papaya, chia seeds, pumpkin, and carrots, as well as phytonutrients from fruits and vegetables.
The food contains no grains because many dogs are allergic to grains such as wheat and contain no corn, fillers, artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives.
Diamond Naturals comes in a bag of 15 or 30 pounds. It is recommended to give 2 ¾ or 2 daily cups for a dog from 30 to 40 pounds. It can have an unpleasant odor for people, but most pets seem to like the taste.
- Salmon as the main ingredient high in essential fatty acids for coat and skin
- Grain-free for easy digestion
- Rich in vitamins and minerals
- Hypoallergenic ingredients suitable for dogs with allergies
- Contains superfoods
- Natural ingredients including fruits and vegetables
- Unpleasant smell for humans
- Might cause digestive issues and flatulence in some dogs
10. Blue Buffalo Basics Duck Natural Adult Dry Dog Food Salmon
View On AmazonBlue Buffalo always has real meat as ingredient # 1, and in this case, it is salmon, a taste that most dogs love.
It is made with boneless salmon, chicken meal, and fish meal to ensure that your puppy gets all the protein it needs, plus healthy fruits and vegetables for essential nutrients.
This protein-rich, grain-free dog food contains Blue’s exclusive Lifesource Bits, a precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals to support the health of the immune system, the life phase, and a healthy oxidative balance.
- Grain-free; no corn, wheat, or soy Omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids for healthy skin and fur Essential proteins and carbohydrates to meet energy needs
Different Types of Dog Food for Allergies
There are generally two types of dog food specially formulated to help with skin allergies.
1. Limited ingredient dog foods
that make it easier for owners to identify a specific ingredient or allergen that their dogs may be allergic to – while still providing sufficient nutrients for their healthy growth and development.
2. Hypoallergenic dog foods
which is usually prescribed by veterinarians and contains proteins that are hydrolyzed into simple basic amino acid building blocks that support the dog’s immune system, does not recognize it as an allergen, reducing the risk of an allergic reaction.
Causes of Dog Allergies
an allergic reaction to flea saliva is the most common cause of contact dermatitis in dogs. There are various methods for eliminating fleas, from dusting with flea powder to the use of spot-on chemical deterrents.
Some people prefer holistic methods. Whatever you prefer, you must eliminate fleas as the cause of your dog’s allergic reaction.
2. Response to air, chemical, and synthetic allergens
our modern world is filled with all sorts of allergens
- Cleaning products
- Rubber and plastic
- Pet care products
All these and others too many to mention can cause an allergic reaction in your dog.
Dogs have different allergic reactions to many different types of food, and no two dogs are the same. The allergy can manifest itself as vomiting or diarrhea, or it can manifest as itchy dry skin and loss of fur. Whatever the manifestation is, you know that your dog is not happy. If that is the case, finding the best dog food for allergies.
How can I help my dog with allergies?
The first step to help your dog with allergies is to consult a veterinarian. Only a professional can check whether your dog’s symptoms are really caused by food. Once you are sure that it is a food allergy, you must identify the allergen.
Veterinarians often recommend an elimination diet to help you determine which ingredients cause your dog’s allergies.
An elimination diet means that you switch to a food with a different protein source and carbohydrate source than before – for example, you can switch from chicken and rice to lamb and sweet potato. If you notice that your dog responds better, you definitely make the switch to chicken-free dog food.
Switching to hypoallergenic dog food is a reliable way to find your dog’s food allergy.
Hypoallergenic dog food is made with new proteins and carbohydrates (that your dog has never had), such as a game and potato or duck and pea. Your dog must eat hypoallergenic dog food for at least 8-10 weeks to notice any change.
FAQs About Dog Food for Allergies
Before we proceed, let’s clear the air and answer some important questions you may have in mind right now:
How is dog food for allergies different from regular dog food?
Dog food specifically for dogs with allergies still has a wide range of options within that category as each dog has a fairly individual biological composition,n and their allergies are specific for his body, so naturally,y the foods his body responds to will be different from other dogs with allergies. However, there are several general trends that show up in dog allergies, just like humans. While people are often allergic to peanuts, dogs are often allergic to beef, dairy products, and wheat. Oatmeal can soothe an upset stomach without causing certain wheat-specific allergies, and allergy foods often use that as their (filler) ingredient.
What are common allergens in dog foods?
Different dogs can be allergic to different ingredients. However, if your dog has a weaker immune system, you should avoid common allergens such as beef, dairy, eggs, lamb, soy, fish, and wheat.
How can you tell if your dog is allergic to food?
Common signs that your dog has a food allergy include Chronic ear infection,n Gastrointestinal problems such as vomiting, diarrhea, or chronic gaseous Hair Los,s Warm patches (lesions on the skin that are hot, moist, and inflamed from repeated licking, chewing, and scratching… Skin infections.
What is the best dog food for dogs with allergies?
The two foods most often recommended for allergy-prone dogs are LID, or restricted ingredient diet, and novel foods. Several of these are prescription diets that require veterinary approval.
If you are concerned that your dog is allergic, you should always talk to your veterinarian. That said, sometimes it’s easy to make a simple change with his food. For the best dog food for allergies, stick with food that has limited ingredients, such as the Zignature food and the Natural Balance food.