This site is supported by our readers. We may earn a commission, at no cost to you, if you purchase through links.
If you’ve ever been tempted to let your dog have a bite of that juicy peach, you may want to reconsider. Peach pits contain amygdalin – a type of cyanide – which can be toxic for dogs if ingested.
It’s important to be aware of the risks associated with feeding these fruits and their stones, so here is what you need to know about the potential dangers posed by eating peach pits for dogs.
The good news is that it doesn’t take much effort or time on your part in order to keep them safe; just ensure they do not have access to peaches or other fruit with large seeds such as apricots, cherries, and plums.
While keeping an eye on your pup might seem like common sense when it comes down to it, sadly there are many cases where owners were unaware until it was too late that something was wrong.
Table Of Contents
- Key Takeaways
- The Risks of Dogs Eating Peach Pits
- Symptoms of Peach Pit Poisoning in Dogs
- Treatment for Peach Pit Poisoning in Dogs
- How to Prevent Your Dog From Eating Peach Pits
- Other Fruits That Are Dangerous for Dogs
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Peach pits are toxic to dogs as they contain cyanide and can cause acute or chronic poisoning. Symptoms of peach pit poisoning in dogs include abdominal pain, respiratory difficulties, confusion or disorientation, and drooling.
Prevention is the best way to keep dogs safe from peach pit poisoning, by keeping fruits with toxic pits out of reach and storing them in a secure location.
The Risks of Dogs Eating Peach Pits
Consuming peach pits can be deadly for your furry friend, as the toxic amygdalin within the pit and foliage of a peach tree can cause serious respiratory problems or even cardiac arrest. Dogs can suffer from amygdalin poisoning when they digest this cyanogenic glycoside found in pits from peaches, apricots, cherries, and plums.
Symptoms of acute poisonings include abdominal pain, drooling, coughing, difficulty breathing, and confusion/disorientation. Chronic poisonings occur over time with smaller amounts consumed, resulting in lethargy/weakness as well as fever and a swollen abdomen.
To protect your pup, it’s best to reduce their access to these fruits – even storing them away in the fridge – and contact a vet if any symptoms become apparent.
Prevention is key by keeping dogs away from fallen fruit and stems on trees that contain cyanide-inducing toxins, which are impossible for the canine digestion process to rid themselves of
Symptoms of Peach Pit Poisoning in Dogs
If your pup has been around peaches, it’s important to watch for signs of distress as they may have ingested something dangerous. Peach pits contain amygdalin, a toxic substance that can cause kidney failure and death in dogs when consumed in large amounts or over a long period of time.
Symptoms of peach pit poisoning include:
- Abdominal pain
- Respiratory problems
- Swollen abdomen
Choking hazards from the pit are also possible if lodged in the throat or intestines. The foliage and branch of peach trees are also poisonous to dogs, so it’s important to keep them away from these parts too.
Small amounts can still build up toxicity over time, which could result in chronic poisoning.
Always contact your veterinarian immediately if you suspect any ingestion whatsoever by your dog.
Treatment for Peach Pit Poisoning in Dogs
If your dog has ingested peach pits, it’s essential to seek prompt veterinary care. Detection of signs and symptoms of poisoning can be difficult due to the similarity in symptoms caused by other ailments.
Vets may use blood tests or imaging techniques to detect peach pit toxicity in a dog’s body. Symptoms vary with acute and chronic poisonings, but some common ones include abdominal pain, respiratory difficulties, seizures, and cardiac arrest.
Chronic poisoning happens when small amounts are consumed over time. Its effects are harder to identify than those from acute ingestion of whole pits as they occur slowly over time.
Risk factors for peach pit poisoning include living close to a tree where windfall fruit regularly falls onto the ground.
How to Prevent Your Dog From Eating Peach Pits
Take steps to ensure your pup doesn’t get the chance to munch on those peach pits – it could be fatal! Peach pits contain amygdalin, a toxic substance that can cause kidney failure and death in dogs.
Foliage of peach trees is also poisonous, with acute poisoning possible if a large amount of pits or foliage are consumed at once. Chronic poisoning can occur if small amounts are eaten over time; this is harder to identify as symptoms develop slowly.
To prevent these dangerous effects from happening, reduce your dog’s access to peaches by storing them in the refrigerator or another secure location where they won’t have access to any downed fruit or stems/leaves of peach trees nearby.
Other fruits such as apricots, cherries, and plums should also be kept out of reach due to their cyanogenic glycosides content, which leads to similar toxic effects for dogs when ingested.
If you suspect your pup has eaten any part of a pit or branch, contact your vet immediately for prompt treatment.
Other Fruits That Are Dangerous for Dogs
Apart from peaches, apricots, cherries, and plums also possess pits that can be fatal to your pet. Apples are not considered toxic for dogs, but the core of an apple should never be given as it contains a small amount of amygdalin, which is poisonous in large quantities.
Similarly, figs contain small amounts of cyanogenic glycosides, which could cause kidney failure if eaten in high enough doses. Therefore, they should always be avoided when feeding your dog fruit or snacks. Plums and apricots have larger pits than other fruits, with more dangerous levels of amygdalin poisoning leading to serious health implications if consumed by a pet.
Finally, although cherries do not possess any known toxins, their pit does pose a choking hazard.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is it safe for dogs to eat peaches without the pits?
No, it is not safe for dogs to eat peaches without the pits. Peach pits contain a toxin that can be fatal if ingested in large amounts or over time.
What other fruits contain toxic pits?
Are apricots, cherries, and plums also dangerous? All four fruits have pits containing toxic amygdalin that can cause kidney failure in dogs.
Are there any home remedies to treat peach pit poisoning?
If your dog has ingested peach pits, seek immediate medical attention. There are no home remedies to treat peach pit poisoning – only a veterinarian can help.
How can I tell if my dog has eaten peach pits?
If you suspect that your dog has eaten peach pits, be on the lookout for symptoms such as abdominal pain, respiratory difficulties, confusion or disorientation, and drooling.
Are there any over-the-counter medications that can be used to treat peach pit poisoning?
No, there are no over-the-counter medications that can treat peach pit poisoning. If you suspect that your dog has ingested a pit, it is best to contact a veterinarian immediately. For prevention purposes, keep pets away from peaches and other fruits with pits like apricots or cherries.
To conclude, it’s important to remember that peach pits and other fruits with pits are highly toxic to dogs. Even a small amount of peach pits, when ingested, can cause severe internal damage and even death.
It’s best to take a preventative approach and keep your dog away from peaches, apricots, cherries, and plums.
If you think your pet has ingested a pit, contact a veterinarian immediately, as prompt treatment is essential for a positive outcome.