This site is supported by our readers. We may earn a commission, at no cost to you, if you purchase through links.
Eating the best low-fat dog food seems to be the healthiest thing you can do in your endeavor to improve your well-being.
We all love our dogs, but too much love can be a bad thing. At least, it may be that love comes in the form of high-calorie snacks and snacks.
An overweight dog is at higher risk for diseases, disorders and other health issues such as painful bones and joints, and it is up to you to oblige your furry best friend to choose a dog food that promotes a healthy weight, together with the chance of a long and active life.
With the right low-fat food for dogs and daily exercise, you can reduce their weight and reduce the risk that your dog develops obesity-related diseases.
Low-fat dog food has increased in popularity along with the rates of obesity in pets, but how do you know if it is suitable for your dog – and what brands are that? Best?
This guide covers the best low-fat dog food for weight management, pancreatitis, IBS, and other problems.
Table Of Contents
- Essential Features To Consider When Buying Low-Fat Dog Food
- 10 Best Low-Fat Dog Food Of 2024
- 1. Wellness CORE Natural Dog Food
- 2. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Healthy Weight Formula
- 3. Honest Kitchen Zeal Grain-Free Dehydrated Dog Food
- 4. Eagle Pack Natural Dry Dog Food Pork, Chicken Fish Reduced-Fat
- 5. Natural Balance Fat Dogs Chicken Salmon Formula Low-Calorie Dry Food
- 6. Castor Pollux Organix Dry Dog Food
- 7. Canidae PURE Healthy Weight Chicken Pea Recipe Dry Food
- 8. Weruva Grain-Free Canned Dog Food
- 9. Diamond Naturals LIGHT Real Meat Recipe Natural Dry Dog Food
- 10. Royal Canin Canine Gastrointestinal Low Fat Dry
- FAQs About Best Low Fat Dog Food
Essential Features To Consider When Buying Low-Fat Dog Food
While you buy a low-fat diet for your dog, you cannot just choose a menu with the least amount of fats.
You see, there are many factors that you have to take into account to be able to choose an option that stands out from the rest. And the truth is that not every product ticks the right boxes.
Finding the right balance is crucial here, here is what to consider when selecting a dog food diet:
Diet dog food can contain between 250 and 400 calories per cup. Lower calorie options are better for less active dogs or those who have a lot to lose, while slightly higher calorie options are preferable for more active dogs that need to keep their weight or want to lose a little weight.
Choose A Fully Nutritional/balanced Diet
View all ingredients on the label. Every ingredient is essential and must be displayed in the correct proportion. For a dog to lose weight, its nutritional formula must contain:
- Above-average protein
- Below-average fat
- Below-average calories
Higher protein levels help your dog feel saturated while eating less . Low-fat is essential, but low-calorie intake is even more critical. Lean, dry dog food must contain less than 9% fat, and wet food must contain less than 4% fat. Low-fat diets should not contain more than 400 kcal/cup calories. If you buy bulk, make sure that the diet has less than 3,100 kcal/kg for dry food and less than 900 kcal/kg for wet food.
Fiber is a controversial topic when considering low-fat dog food. How much fiber your dog needs depends on the individual scenario. Dogs suffering from pancreatitis need not only low-fat but also low fiber. However, a moderate amount of fiber is ideal for fat dogs that do not have pancreatitis because fiber promotes digestion. Consult your vet about this!
The quality of the ingredients shines a light on the quality of the food as a whole. Look for dietary foods for dogs that contain said meat and meat meals (instead of not mentioned (mysterious meat)), whole grains, or other healthy sources of carbohydrates, fruits, vegetables, vitamins, and minerals.
This is a big no-no when it comes to a low-fat diet for dogs. Artificial additives such as preservatives and flavorings can be harmful to health, and many are even being investigated as potentially carcinogenic. Therefore, dog food with the mention (no artificial additives) should be a top priority.
Choose The Best Taste
always choose the taste that your dog wants, knows, and quickly digests. In some cases, the introduction of a new protein source is the right choice, especially when it comes to allergic and sensitive dogs.
However, when new protein sources are fed, some dogs may experience irregular bowel movements and stomach pains. In short, when deciding on taste, there are three considerations: whether or not your dog likes it, how easily it can be digested, and what benefits it has. Widespread and common flavors in low-fat foods are chicken and fish.
10 Best Low-Fat Dog Food Of 2024
Is your cute little dog more like a small fat dog than a minute, fit dog lately? Then maybe it’s time to see what they eat.
For this article, our team spent hours in a row searching for the right products for your pet.
We’ll discuss them all in this post and review the details about choosing the right recipe for your dog.
1. Wellness CORE Natural Dog Food
View On AmazonCORE recipes are based on the nutritional philosophy that dogs, like their wild ancestors, must thrive on a natural diet consisting of meat. CORE Reduced Fat contains 25% less fat and is one of the best low-fat foods for dogs one year and older. Also, the formula is grain-free.
CORE Reduced fat contains boneless turkey and boneless chicken, as well as turkey and chicken meal, whitefish meal, and chicken liver. It also includes a patented mix of fruits, vegetables, oils, and botanical products that feed your dog to the core.
In short, the first five ingredients are turkey, turkey flour, chicken flour, potatoes, and peas.
Turkey is an excellent source of high-quality proteins and fatty acids. Potatoes are a gluten-free carbohydrate source, and peas are rich in natural fibers. Chicken liver is a rich source of vitamins A, D, and B.
Carrots are a source of beta-carotene, which prevents eye problems and cardiovascular disease. Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids from salmon oil and linseed support the nutritional value for healthy skin.
Glucosamine and chondroitin help support bone and joint health in the long term.
The formula contains no grains and fillers. CORE Reduced Fat contains 35% fewer carbohydrates than traditional diet foods. The calorific content of the food is 350 kcal/cup.
- Powerful and effective weight loss diet
- Above-average dry dog food
- Made from natural, high-quality and human meat, meat meals and healthy fruits and vegetables
- Contains no grains, fillers, artificial preservatives, sweeteners or colors
- Rich in fatty acids, vitamins, prebiotics, antioxidants, and chelated minerals
- High fiber content to promote weight loss
- Contains fermentation products that contribute to a healthy digestion
- Irresistible taste
- Available in 3 bag sizes
- Too expensive
- Contains tomato pulp, which is not very suitable for dogs
- Made in the US, but uses ingredients from all over the world
2. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Healthy Weight Formula
View On AmazonIf you are not sure what to give your dog, but you are looking for low-fat dog food, you cannot go wrong with a popular choice such as Blue Buffalo Life Protection Healthy Weight Dry Food Formula.
This formula contains premium animal protein from fresh chicken with concentrated protein from chicken meal, not to mention lots of glucosamine and chondroitin for healthy bones and joints. Essential nutrients and extra fiber.
This recipe is balanced in terms of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, but still contains a total of only 9% fat.
In terms of nutritional value, it is complete and balanced, but free from artificial additives, so that you know that your dog will only receive the high-quality food it deserves and must remain healthy.
This delicious recipe for weight management contains L-carnitine that is perfect for building muscle mass in dogs.
This nutrient uses excess fat for energy so that a healthy muscle can be developed. Because many obese dogs suffer from bone diseases, Blue Buffalo has added a healthy amount of calcium and phosphorus to this formula that helps strengthen bone cells.
To add that effect, chondroitin, and glucosamine further strengthen the joints. Without by-products such as corn, wheat, or soy, this is great low-fat dog food.
- A complete and balanced meal
- Reduced calories from fat to promote weight loss
- Contains high-quality proteins, whole grains, fruits and vegetables
- Provides long-lasting energy
- Supports healthy joints, skin, and coat
- Promotes strong bones and teeth, healthy skin and coat and pain-free mobility
- Contains no soy, corn or wheat
- Contains no by-products, artificial colors, flavors or preservatives
- Added vitamins, chelated minerals, and antioxidants
- Delicious taste
- Available in 2 pieces
- Available in 4 bag sizes
- Made in the USA
- Contains tomato pulp
- Some owners noticed that their dogs had loose stools after eating the diet
3. Honest Kitchen Zeal Grain-Free Dehydrated Dog Food
View On AmazonThe Honest Kitchen brand makes healthy, completely natural food, using an innovative processing technique: gentle dehydration (keeping the ingredients intact). The delicious and nutritious meals of Honest Kitchen are made with genuine, healthy, and human ingredients. The meals are easy to prepare and serve at home.
All you have to do is add hot water and stir well to rehydrate the product. The foods from The Honest Kitchen perfectly combine the benefits of a biologically suitable raw food diet with the convenience and simplicity of a balanced, already mixed product.
The Honest Kitchen Zeal Grain-free Grain-free dog food: fish recipe, delicious food, specially developed for sensitive adult dogs. The main ingredients of the formula are Marine Stewardship Council-certified, wild-caught, ethoxyquin-free white fish, and antioxidant-rich products, including Pacific cod and Pollock, caught off the coast of Alaska.
In addition to fish, the diet includes eggs, fruit (coconut, apples, bananas, and cranberries), vegetables (sweet potatoes, green beans, parsley, cabbage, and garlic), and vitamin and mineral supplements. Also, the food is free from common allergens such as grain, gluten, linseed, and potatoes. The calorific content of the food is 3,800 kcal/kg or 437 kcal/cup.
The formula contains few calories and fat, but many proteins, making it the perfect maintenance diet for adult and older dogs of all breeds and sizes. It is specifically indicated for sensitive dogs, allergic to common proteins.
- Made from wild-caught and ethoxyquin-free white fish
- 100% human quality, all-natural and minimally processed ingredients
- Suitable for sensitive dogs and dogs with moderate activity levels of all breeds
- Contains no corn, soy, rice or wheat
- Contains no by-products, preservatives or GMO ingredients
- Grain-free, gluten-free, linseed-free and white potato-free
- Formulated to meet AAFCO’s nutritional profile
- Available in two box sizes
- Delivered in an environmentally friendly, biodegradable package
- Easy to prepare
- Made in the USA
- Too expensive
- Some dogs don’t like the taste
4. Eagle Pack Natural Dry Dog Food Pork, Chicken Fish Reduced-Fat
View On AmazonTake a step towards a healthier lifestyle for your dog with this natural low-fat dog food enriched with vitamins and minerals.
Made with lean chicken, fish, and a healthy portion of pork: these tasty pieces will turn your fat dog into a fit dog! This product has removed low-quality meat by-products, along with unnecessary fillers such as corn, wheat, and soy.
Each bag is meticulously produced, packaged, and distributed in the United States, and Eagle Pack has achieved the impossible by feeding dog food. Make it tastes, smells, and looks like a regular lump, but that has the benefits of low-fat dog food.
The exciting mix of meat products brings out both taste and smell, which means that your puppy will not even notice that you have made its new dog food low in fat.
- Formulated with 35% less fat than the original formula
- Contains double animal proteins: pork and chicken meals
- Promotes lean muscles, skin and fur health, healthy hips and joints and a strong immune system
- Contains no artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives
- Very tasty
- Available in 4 bag sizes
- Made in the USA
- Contains low-quality maize (powerful allergen in dogs)
- Contains controversial beet pulp, a by-product
- A modest amount of pork meal as the primary source of animal protein
- No guarantee that the fish is ethoxyquin-free
5. Natural Balance Fat Dogs Chicken Salmon Formula Low-Calorie Dry Food
View On AmazonIf you are looking for low-calorie, low-fat dog food to combat your dog’s obesity, consider this Natural Balance Fat Dogs Chicken and Salmon formula, low-calorie dry diet. This formula is uniquely designed for overweight adult dogs and contains low-calorie protein options such as chicken meal and salmon meal.
Natural Balance Fat Dogs Low-Calorie Dry Dog Formula has been specially developed for overweight adult dogs. The diet is designed to keep dogs balanced in terms of nutritional value and to consume fewer calories. The formula contains a unique blend of proteins and fibers that make your dog feel full. This food is one of the low-calorie diets on the market.
It contains digestible whole-grain carbohydrates and grain-free options, and there are many fresh and dried fruits and vegetables to provide nutritional support.
This recipe contains a mix of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids for healthy skin and fur with chelated minerals for optimum nutrient absorption. It is low in fat, with only 7.5% and rich in proteins with 26%. It may be a bit too fiber-rich for some dogs with pancreatitis, but it is a great option for weight loss.
- Concentrated source of animal protein
- Digestible carbohydrates
- The mixture of omega fatty acids
- Fresh fruit and vegetables
- Chelated minerals
- Complete and balanced
- Perhaps too fiber-rich for dogs with pancreatitis, not a grain-free recipe
6. Castor Pollux Organix Dry Dog Food
View On AmazonCastor and Pollux produce entirely natural, healthy, nutritious, and super-premium pet food. It is one of the best natural and organic pet food brands on the market. The company believes that to get the best out of your dog, you first have to do the best in it.
Castor and Pollux Organix Dry dog food with a healthy weight is a delicious formula that provides an improved, complete, and balanced diet that ensures a healthy body weight. It is one of the best low-fat diets for adult inactive and obese dogs.
Compared with the classic formula Castor and Pollux, this diet contains 20% less fat. The first five ingredients are organic, range-free chicken, organic chicken flour, organic peas, organic barley, and organic brown rice.
Extra nutrition is assured by adding organic flax seeds, blueberries, and coconut oil to the formula. The extra nutrients support healthy skin and fur. The organic vegetables offer natural fibers, important for maintaining a healthy intestinal tract and feeling saturated. The calorific content of the food is 3,565 kcal/kg or 357 kcal/cup.
- 100% complete and balanced meal for adult dogs
- Special formula for weight loss (20% less fat)
- Made with USDA certified organic ingredients
- Free-range, antibiotics, and hormone-free chicken as the first ingredient
- Promotes healthy gut, skin, and coat
- Added vitamins and minerals
- No artificial flavors, additives or preservatives
- Contains no corn, wheat, soy or other harmful fillers
- Suitable for dogs with food allergies
- Very tasty
- Lump size suitable for all varieties
- Hand-made in small batches
- Formula tested before, during and after production
- Made in the USA
- Too expensive
- Contains peas that can cause loose stools
- Some owners have reported bag-to-bag quality inconsistencies
7. Canidae PURE Healthy Weight Chicken Pea Recipe Dry Food
View On AmazonWhen it comes to high-quality food, you can rely on the Canidae brand. This Canidae PURE Healthy Weight Chicken and Pea Recipe Dry Food is a great option if you are looking for low-fat dog food for weight loss because it contains only 9% fat but contains 28% protein.
It is still moderate in terms of fiber with 5% and contains only nine main ingredients, making it an excellent choice if you are looking for low-fat dog food for sensitive stomachs.
It contains fresh chicken as the first ingredient with extra protein from the chicken and turkey flour, grain-free, with sweet potatoes and peas as digestible grain-free carbohydrates with a lot of vitamins and chelated mineral supplements to guarantee a complete and balanced diet. Generally, it is a great choice for any dog.
- High in protein, low in fat
- Moderate fiber content
- Grain-free carbohydrates
- Real chicken as the first ingredient
- A limited number of ingredients
- Chelated minerals, probiotics
- Expensive to feed as a staple diet
8. Weruva Grain-Free Canned Dog Food
View On AmazonWeruva is an exclusive line of all-natural, grain-free, luxury pet food products. The company is convinced that pets are part of the family. Weruva follows the slogan (pet food). The ingredients of Weruva retain a natural appearance and a recognizable texture.
Weruva’s Leg Lickin’Chicken is made from one simple and healthy ingredient: white boneless and skinless chicken fillet. The chickens are cage-free, antibiotic-free, and hormone-free. The chicken meat is shredded and immersed in a soft, flavorful, carrageen-free, jelly-like gravy.
The chicken meat is an excellent source of omega-3 and omega-6. The calorific content of the food is 268 kcal / 14 oz can or 104 kcal / 5.5 oz can. The formula is designed for the maintenance of adult dogs and is one of the best grain-free, low-fat dog food available.
- All-natural, balanced and complete meal for maintenance of adult dogs
- Made from the cage-free, soft, boneless, skinless, chicken breast with white breast
- No added antibiotics or hormones in the meat
- Low in fat, low carb formula, rich in high-quality proteins
- Contains no grains, vegetables or other fillers
- Contains no gluten, GMO, MSG or carrageenan
- Ideal for dogs with a sensitive abdomen and food allergies
- A gourmet meal with the superior and natural taste
- Added vitamins and minerals
- Great source of omega-3 and omega-6
- Can be used as a topper
- You can see the ingredients
- Made in USDA approved human food facilities with superior safety standards and quality control
- Available in 2 can sizes
- Too expensive
- Some owners complained that there is too much gravy in the can
9. Diamond Naturals LIGHT Real Meat Recipe Natural Dry Dog Food
View On AmazonWith a price tag of around $ 35 for a bag of £ 30, Diamond Naturals LIGHT Real Meat Recipe Natural Dry Dog Food is the clear choice for parents with a limited budget. Although it is not entirely in line with our top pick or number two in terms of ingredient quality, it is not far behind. It is entirely free of artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives and contains only natural ingredients.
Although we have found mixed reviews of how delicious this dog food is, most of the buyers’ dog mates did not show any signs of taste that they did not like. No dog food is 100% attractive for all dogs, so this does not concern us, but you may want to buy a smaller bag first in case.
The essential ingredient in this diet for dog food is whey-lamb protein, in addition to a variety of whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. For optimal nutrition, it also contains a range of added vitamins and minerals, plus a patented probiotic formula to help with digestion.
What’s more, if you prefer to buy locally, Diamond Naturals in the US is made by a family business.
- No artificial colors, flavors or preservatives
- Suitable for overweight dogs and less active dogs
- No fillers
- Contains antioxidants
10. Royal Canin Canine Gastrointestinal Low Fat Dry
View On AmazonGastrointestinal low-fat dog food from Royal Canin will bring your puppy to his or her ideal weight in no time.
The easily digestible protein helps prevent the accumulation of unhealthy fat; it has chelated minerals in the body to absorb nutrients faster, a complex carbohydrate mix, and everything that high-quality, low-fat dog food can expect.
Fat dogs may be cute, but Royal Canin knows it’s not healthy, and that’s why they have produced this low-fat dog food that is easy to pack by weight.
It is also great for dogs with digestive disorders such as bile acid deficiency, bacterial overgrowth, pancreatitis, and enteropathy.
A portion of very low-fat dog food that fits any adult dog with weight or digestive problems, and which allows your dog to drop those extra pounds in little to no time. Plus points for the chelated minerals that help with digestion, because that is also the key when trying to lose weight.
- Easy to process and digest
- For overweight and digestive disorders
- # 1 low-fat dog food in the US
- With chelated minerals
FAQs About Best Low Fat Dog Food
How to know if a dog needs low-fat dog food?
The easiest way to tell that your pooch could benefit from a diet kibble or low-fat wet dog food is him or her being overweight.
You should be able to see the waistline when looking at your dog from above and feel the ribs when pressing lightly to the side.
If you have doubts, talk to a veterinarian. If you have other health concerns that you think might require a reduced-fat diet, it should also be brought up with a veterinarian before making any drastic diet changes.
What percentage of a dog’s diet must be fat?
Well, this depends on what your end goal is your dog’s diet. If you want to reduce weight, the fat content in your dog’s diet should be a lot lower than, for example, if you’re going to keep it. However, 10-15% of fat is good fat content for a healthy dog. However, you want to be sure that you have enough options to practice for your dog.
What is the best diet for a dog with pancreatitis?
The best commercial dog food for pancreatitis is one made with high-quality, natural ingredients. Animal protein is a must, and the formula as a whole must be easily digestible. Look for ingredients for whole foods, ideally a single source of new animal protein (if food allergies are a problem) with limited carbohydrate content and low in fat and low in fiber. However, the nutritional value of the food must be complete and balanced, so look at that AAFCO statement of nutritional adequacy.
How much should my dog eat?
The amount your dog should eat depends on your dog’s size and weight, how active she is, the number of calories in her food, and whether she should lose weight or keep her weight.
Check the package of your chosen dog food, as this gives you nutritional guidelines that tell you how much to feed your dog, depending on size.
However, these are just guidelines, so you should check your dog’s weight for a few weeks after changing your diet.
You may have to feed a little less or a little more than the amount in the guidelines.
Is a high-fat diet terrible for dogs?
Excessive nutrients are harmful to dogs, and fat is no different. If your dog gets more fat than he can burn, he runs the risk of becoming obese and contracting diseases such as pancreatitis. The risk is exceptionally high if your dog gets little or no exercise or regularly eats carbohydrate-rich meals.
How many calories does a dog need to eat to lose weight?
Dogs come in all shapes, sizes, and personalities, such as us. Because they are individuals, we recommend that you consult your veterinarian about their ideal calorie intake. That said, a standard option suggested by veterinarians is to reduce your dog’s calorie intake by 250 calories until your dog starts losing some weight.
There are many low-fat dog foods available, and you don’t necessarily have to spend more to get a recipe diet.
Buying high-quality dog food means more than (low in fat) on the label.
Read the ingredients to make sure it is low in fat, and it contains the right amount of protein and a moderate amount of fibers.
So you only need the right combination of high-quality, digestible ingredients. If you are unsure where to start, check out our top choices for the best low-fat dog food above!
Remember that exercise is an essential part of the diet, especially for our dogs.