This site is supported by our readers. We may earn a commission, at no cost to you, if you purchase through links.
Finding the best dog food for picky eaters is a frustrating process. You can try to test different protein sources. Does your dog prefer beef or chicken? Neither? Then a less popular choice, such as venison or duck, tastes more like him.
So, what is the best tasting dog food for picky dogs?
Like us, dogs have an individual taste, so it is almost impossible to find food that induces every dog to eat.
It’s best to look for the best tasty dog food that is so tasty they can’t resist while also containing enough nutrients to keep them healthy and strong. Knowing what to look for is important and what products your fussy eaters are likely to appeal to.
Below are tried and tested options that other pet parents have found to increase their picky eater’s appetite.
Whether you’re looking for the best dry dog food for picky eaters, your pup will find irresistible, a food topper to get them started, or alternative diets that are both healthy and delicious.
We discuss below our favorite list of the best tasting dog foods for picky eaters, and we’ll give you a list of reasons your pup may not be eating. You need to make sure you know any health issues that can prevent your puppy from eating regularly.
Table Of Contents
- The Best Dog Foods for Picky Eaters (Quick Summary)
- Things to Consider When Look for the Best Tasty Dog Food for Picky Eaters
- 10 Best Dog Foods For Picky Eaters Of 2023
- 1. The Honest KitchenChicken Recipe Human Grade Dog Food
- 2. Fromm Four-Star Grain Free Gamebird Recipe
- 3. Taste Of The Wild Pacific Stream
- 4. Purina Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin Stomach
- 5. Nutro Ultra Canned Dog Food for Picky Eaters
- 6. Rachel Ray Nutrish Natural Dry Dog Food
- 7. Instinct Raw Boost Small Breed Duck
- 8. Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Natural Dog Food Recipe
- 9. Savor Wet Dog Food For Picky Eaters
- 10. Nulo Adult Grain Free Dog Food
- Encourage Your Picky Eater Dog to Develop Healthier Eating Habits
- FAQs About Dog Food For Picky Eaters
The Best Dog Foods for Picky Eaters (Quick Summary)
Best OverallThe Honest KitchenChicken Recipe Human Grade Dog Food
4.5 out of 5
|Fromm Four-Star Grain Free Gamebird Recipe|
4.5 out of 5
|Taste Of The Wild Pacific Stream|
4.5 out of 5
|Purina Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin Stomach|
4.5 out of 5
|Nutro Ultra Canned Dog Food for Picky Eaters|
4.5 out of 5
|Rachel Ray Nutrish Natural Dry Dog Food|
4.5 out of 5
|Instinct Raw Boost Small Breed Duck|
4.5 out of 5
|Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Natural Dog Food Recipe|
4.5 out of 5
|Savor Wet Dog Food For Picky Eaters|
4.5 out of 5
|Nulo Adult Grain Free Dog Food|
4.5 out of 5
Things to Consider When Look for the Best Tasty Dog Food for Picky Eaters
When looking for the best food for picky dogs, the taste is the most important aspect to look at.
However, you don’t want to compromise on quality, so let’s take a look at what to look for when looking for the best dog food for picky eaters, which is also good enough to give your dog the right quality of nutrients for a long time and healthy life.
1. Food Quality and Freshness
As mentioned above, the problem can start with the type of food you provide. If it is of low quality and has no taste, your dog may opt-out. It’s possible they don’t like some of the meat bases you’ve chosen. Experimenting with your dog’s preferences may be enough to determine which type of food he likes.
Make sure whatever your food is fresh. Checking expiration dates and properly storing your pet’s food is important for both taste and health. Never leave food for more than a day. You can store leftovers in the refrigerator.
Finally, the problem could be rooted in something as small as a texture and temperature preference. We notice that this is more common in small dogs than in large dogs.
If you have a small dog like a Chihuahua, you’ll want to look at foods made specifically for the Chihuahua breed. This is especially important if your dog has dental problems that can make it difficult to eat hard foods.
Temperature can also play a role. Your dog may be indifferent to their kibble but is suddenly reduced to a puddle if you add a little water and warm up.
2. Protein Content
A dog’s body needs protein to function properly, so make sure the dry dog food for picky eaters you’re considering contains enough. You can see this by looking at the content list you normally find on the bag or specified on the website you visit.
Pay special attention to the first and second ingredients, as with a high-quality chunk. An identified meat product should be listed first and, if possible, second. Look for meat with a name like a lamb, beef, chicken, turkey, and salmon, as it is considered a good source of protein for a fussy dog.
3. Lots of healthy fat
fat is not only a great source of energy, but it also makes the food taste and smells good, so look for formulas with lots of healthy fat sources, such as fish oil, linseed, salmon oil, rapeseed oil, etc. Animal fat such as chicken fat is also welcome.
Make sure you know how much fat your dog can safely consume per meal.
4. Natural Vs Artificial Flavor
You’ve probably walked the dog food path at the supermarket, with all those chunk bags of large cuts of meat, fruits, and vegetables, and you might think it sounds like a delicious meal for a dog.
The truth is that there is a big difference between a product that tastes like beef, for example and a product that contains real beef. Many low-quality products use artificial flavors to give their chunks an attractive flavor, although it may not contain enough (or none) as the advertised ingredient.
Always check the ingredient list and make sure it is on the bag. The announced flavors come from a quality source, and the product you buy is free from artificial flavors.
Dogs are intelligent animals, and if your pup doesn’t eat, they may have the marketing tricks and added artificial flavor to make both dogs and owners think food is better than it is.
10 Best Dog Foods For Picky Eaters Of 2023
To help you find the best food for picky dogs that are both delicious and nutritious, we’ve covered dozens of different formulas, with a detailed rundown of our favorites below and if you need more information on how to care for and feed a picky eater properly? Our buying guide contains everything you need to know!
1. The Honest KitchenChicken Recipe Human Grade Dog Food
The Honest Kitchen chicken recipe is made with human-grade ingredients and preserved through dehydration. The first four ingredients: all grown or farmed organically: chicken, whole wheat barley and oats, and linseed.
The rest consists of dried fruits and vegetables that are rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
Additional vitamins and chelated minerals were also added for a nutrient-rich diet.
If you had to convince your dog to eat what would become his staple food, there couldn’t be a better choice than this. This dog food is absolutely nutritious and made from top-quality ingredients.
Most dogs, and we mean picky dogs, find The Honest Kitchen Human Grade Dehydrated Organic Grain Dog Food compatible with their taste buds. They are even avid beavers when eating.
But the point is since this needs to be rehydrated, a procedure is needed instead of just scooping dry kibble into bowls or just opening canned food.
To rehydrate, the correct amounts of dehydrated food and warm water are measured and mixed. The thick mixture is then allowed to cool for 3-5 minutes.
All of this happens with an impatient pet jumping up and down around you. So, you see, picky dogs who love this food should actually be the least of your worries.
- Made with human-grade ingredients and preserved through dehydration
- Added extra vitamins and chelated minerals
- Completely natural with no by-products, preservatives, or GMO ingredients
- Made in the USA
- Needs to be rehydrated, which is less convenient
2. Fromm Four-Star Grain Free Gamebird Recipe
FROMM things are not as extensively acknowledged as some other brand names, but they are entirely packed with superb elements and beloved by most canines who try them so, it is one of the best tasty dog foods.
Their Gamebird Recipe is 1 of their most nicely-known — and reportedly most tasty — flavors, much adored by acknowledged finicky eaters of the pet world.
The Gamebird recipe functions as a mix of duck, turkey, and chicken meat. Though doubtlessly tasty, this mixture of meats implies it probably is not the very best alternative for owners browsing to battle, perhaps meat allergy signs and symptoms.
Still, if you’re just worried about obtaining a picky pooch to consume, this is a wonderful greatest tasting canine food to attempt out.
- Duck, which most canines locate tastily, is the extremely first listed ingredient.
- The Grain-totally free of charge recipe relies on potatoes rather than wheat, rice, or corn for their carbohydrate material.
- Fortified with probiotics to help inspire appropriate digestion
- Includes an assortment of antioxidant-rich (superfoods)
- Formulated with five distinct total proteins (duck, turkey, chicken, quail, and pheasant)
- Protein content material is sourced from duck, turkey, pheasant, and quail.
- Grain completely totally free
- Created with fresh fruits and greens and other all-natural sources of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, essential fatty acids, fiber, and probiotics
3. Taste Of The Wild Pacific Stream
For this submit, we are focusing on the Pacific Stream’s salmon recipe because salmon are the two higher in protein and ideal for canines with allergic reactions and delicate stomachs due to their digestibility. Salmon is also the initially listed ingredient! The formula functions healthful sources of carbs, such as sweet potatoes, and is packed with scrumptious fruits and veggies like blueberries, tomatoes, and raspberries. The result is a dietary meal complete with nutritional vitamins, minerals, and omega fatty acids.
In contrast to Rachael Ray’s Nutrish formula, Pacific Stream does not have any corn or soy products, making this an outstanding alternative for pups who endure these regular allergens. The Taste of the Wild recipe comes in a dry formula and has a wet meal substitute for additional picky eaters who truly do not like to crunch.
We really like that salmon is the first ingredient listed, which means this formula will have an effective salmon taste, which most canines adore. This recipe is totally free of charge of typical allergens, this sort of as a grain, corn, wheat, and does not consist of any fillers or artificial flavors. We like that Taste of the Wild consists of 3 distinct species-particular probiotics for digestive wellness.
- Includes no corn wheat or fillers
- Total of taste produced of fresh Wisconsin duck hand-trimmed USDA chicken minimal ash lamb and real Wisconsin cheddar cheese
- It also contains a chicken cartilage total of naturally taking place glucosamine as effectively as salmon oil with Omegas three and six, which are outstanding for boosting joint performance.
- Superb for managing delicate stomachs and skin allergy signs
- Has a crunchy texture, which assists to floss your pup’s teeth naturally
- Also consists of Dietary nutritional vitamins A B12, D3, and E
- Does contain a small grain: some flavors consist of brown rice, pearled barley, and oatmeal
4. Purina Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin Stomach
At times, a minimal appetite can have its roots in an abdomen concern or a sensitivity to particular ingredients, which is when a mild outstanding tasting canine meals: this type of as this Purina formula: can come in beneficial. Although a veterinarian needs to be consulted when suspecting a health-related difficulty frequently, when that has been carried out, canine meals like this are actually well worth a shot.
It has salmon as its preliminary ingredient, a mild protein source, and it consists of prebiotic fiber for digestive wellness. There are no poultry or animal by-items, and it is entirely free from soy, wheat, and corn, as successfully as artificial shade, taste, and preservatives.
Attempt out a new technique when creating and try to persuade your canine to consume, with 1 of the extremely best tasting puppy food items for canines with delicate stomachs.
Perhaps what you’ve been feeding your pup provides him or her a stomach ache? It is well worth an attempt out to switch to a single point milder.
- Salmon as a first ingredient
- Easy on the stomach
- Probiotic fiber for digestion
- No animal by-products
- Some potential purchasers were concerned about the large amount of Purina recalls in the previous.
5. Nutro Ultra Canned Dog Food for Picky Eaters
Nutro Ultra canned foods for grownup dogs are made of chunky pieces of meaty goodness with thick, flavorful gravy. The factors have chicken, chicken broth, chicken liver, lamb, salmon, turkey, lamb liver, wholesome grains, sunflower oil, flaxseed, and antioxidant-wealthy fruits greens.
It is also enriched with vitamin and mineral dietary supplements. It does not contain chicken by-item meal, corn, soy, or artificial flavors and preservatives.
You may not need to trick your picky dog any longer if you feed him with Nutro Ultra Moist Canine Meals merely because this is interesting to the senses: it smells meaty, has chunky pieces with smooth gravy, and is apparently genuinely tasty.
Canines lick their bowls clean and rapidly, which says a good deal about the foods. Typically, Nutro Ultra is seldom refused by canines, so this is one of the best canned dog foods for picky eaters.
- Created with 14 superfoods
- No chicken by solution meal corn soy or artificial flavors and preservatives
- Enriched with vitamin and mineral dietary supplements
- Cooked in the USA
- Customers say the value of this best puppy food for picky eaters fluctuates fairly a bit.
- There are numerous evaluations from pet owners who stated this dog meals produced with pet sick.
6. Rachel Ray Nutrish Natural Dry Dog Food
This is a really fairly priced option and is fantastic for individuals browsing to introduce a grain-free of charge diet to their pup. The formula, which is created in the USA, does not contain any artificial flavorings or preservatives. There is also prebiotics integrated with the recipe, which helps wholesome gut and digestion and can be extremely helpful for canines with delicate stomachs.
Even though tiny breed picky eaters could turn their nose up to difficult kibbles, softening the kibble with warm water can help. The kibble is mixed with dehydrated fruit and greens, meeting all the requirements for an efficiently-balanced dietary diet plan program. Reviewers praise Nutrish as a single of the yummiest dry meal alternatives on the marketplace. With the comfort of zero-organizing dry foods at an affordable price, Nutrish could be the treatment for your picky eater!
We truly like that this formula lists their protein as the major ingredient; the outcomes are an extreme meaty taste that canines cannot resist. It is developed in the USA and functions American-farmed components that indicate that your dog’s food items are coming from and are supporting American organizations. A percentage of Nutrish earnings are donated to US animal rescue organizations.
- Created with US farm-raised chicken
- Consists of all organic prebiotics to boost digestion
- It also includes Nutritional vitamins B12 C D3 E and K folic acid niacin and calcium.
- Free of charge from artificial flavors preservatives poultry by goods fillers wheat or gluten
- Plenty of taste options Turkey Brown Rice and Venison Genuine Beef and Brown Rice and Genuine Chicken and Veggies
- Developed in the USA
- A portion of the product sales proceeds is donated to the Rachel Ray Basis to help animals in need.
- Superb for canines with allergic reactions and digestive issues
- It does have some soybean and corn.
7. Instinct Raw Boost Small Breed Duck
This is much more expensive than the Prairie recipe (also by Nature’s Assortment), but rather raw coating more than the dry kibbles; canines also get raw pieces. The raw bits carry mealtimes to a whole new level and genuinely get picky canines consuming back as soon as much more. The initial three factors are chicken meal, chicken, and chicken fat. The raw pieces are created with freeze-dried raw turkey, turkey liver, chicken, and ground chicken bone.
The dark brown dry kibbles are pea-sized, while the white raw bits are peanut-sized: the two ideal even for little canines to consume. For canine owners who already mix-feed their canines with dry and home-prepared raw meals, Instinct Raw Boost Grain Entirely totally free Recipe Organic Dry Puppy Meals by Nature’s Selection definitely cuts some corners.
Nevertheless, the best high-quality handle is really inconsistent with the ratio of raw bits to the dry kibbles: sometimes, you get a good deal of the white bits; most other times, you could count them (like one to none in each 3-cup servings).
The whole-grain brown rice that this formula includes is significantly more nutritious than brewer’s rice and a great deal much less tough to digest than corn fillers, so it is also great for dogs with delicate tummies. Canines are in wonderful form in this formula.
They have no problems, and they sport a good coat. There has been no issue with freshness or going stale much more than time: it is outstanding to the ultimate pieces at the bottom of the bag.
- Grain totally free of charge and gluten-totally free of charge
- Kibble mixed with freeze-dried raw pieces.
- Additional probiotics and antioxidants
- No artificial colors flavor preservatives corn wheat soy or fillers
- The expensive cost of these meals had spotted off some prospective consumers.
- As with any of the greatest puppy meals for picky eaters, some pet owners say their canine would not consume this.
8. Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Natural Dog Food Recipe
The Wilderness Chicken Recipe Dry Dog Food is another excellent grain-free option from Blue Buffalo It contains boneless chicken as the main ingredient with a high protein content that improves muscle tone and healthy growth The chicken fat and other sweet-smelling content that nourishes the picky eaters preserved with mixed tocopherols to keep them fresh longer.
This all-all-natural and grain-completely totally free kibble is bursting with taste: a taste that a couple of canines can resist, no matter how fussy they typically are at mealtime. It has protein from deboned salmon, fish meal, and chicken meal, producing it a tasty puppy meal for picky eaters that fulfill their daily power needs.
Wholesome greens offer nutritional vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, and there are no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives! This offers the kibble a wealthy taste, which a typical grocery shop brand can in no way compare to, and the LifeSource Bits that Blue Buffalo mixes in with their typical kibble offers your fussy pup with all the nutrients he or she specifications to stay wholesome and robust.
In the hunt for the best tasting dry dog food for picky eaters: this item is an ought-to-try, and one point you will want to contemplate.
- With Omega three and six for a healthful coat
- LifeSource Bits infused with nutritional vitamins.
- Taste of genuine and fresh meat
- Larger protein content material from high-quality sources
- Quite expensive
9. Savor Wet Dog Food For Picky Eaters
Really don’t anticipate your dog’s bowl of this beef and greens entrée to appear as pretty as the single in the picture simply since you are not that gullible. What it looks like in actual existence is a mushy meal with sound bits of beef and greens. The crucial thing is that canines dig into these meals with pleasure and a tongue-licking finish. If your dog is going by way of a phase of not consuming regularly, Purina Expert Method Savor Moist Puppy Meals could be what he’s waiting for.
As is the normal trouble with canned wet meals, you could discover bent cans right here and there, which is disappointing. If it is any consolation, the cans of this greatest dog food for picky eaters are easy to open with their pull-up tabs.
- Developed with genuine beef and genuine veggies
- Consists of a minimum of 9 crude protein and two-five crude excess fat
- Moist food items have a lot more potent odor, which tends to entice canines to eat a lot more so than dry kibble
- This very best canine meals for picky eaters contains meat by-products, wheat gluten, and further color
- Some pet owners complained that these meals gave their canine soft stools or diarrhea
10. Nulo Adult Grain Free Dog Food
There are no grains in this Nulo answer, and it is also entirely free of charge from chicken, egg, soy, corn, and artificial additives. The patented Bc30 Probiotic aids with digestion creating positive your pooch feels so great on the inside that he or she will be begging for yet another meal! A tasty dog meal is not usually sufficient to convince a fussy eater. Still, this puppy food goes out to care for a canine from the inside and out, by this kind of as only lean and gentle elements for a happy doggy tummy, and enhanced appetite.
These meals for picky dogs care about your pup’s wellbeing, and they have produced a revolutionary formula complete with mild factors to care for the abdomen and digestive program of your furry pal so that he or she will truly feel superb adequate to gulp down foods at the two breakfast and dinner time.
- With lamb salmon or turkey
- Large quality protein for lean muscle
- Created in the United States
- For tiny canines and huge canines
- This very best puppy meals for picky eaters consists of meat by-products, wheat gluten, and additional color.
- Some pet owners complained that these meals gave their dog soft stools or diarrhea.
Encourage Your Picky Eater Dog to Develop Healthier Eating Habits
Try some of the following tips and tricks to encourage your picky puppy to eat better and healthier:
- Please limit the number of treats you give him between pass on the meals and avoid feeding them directly from the table. If you choose to cook meat and vegetables, add them to the meal.
- Put their food down for 30 minutes and then remove it. They have to learn that dinnertime is a certain time and if they don’t eat their food, they have to wait there for their next meal.
- Place their food in a low-noise environment where they feel safe, away from busy traffic areas.
- If all else fails, definitely consider changing their food. Do this gradually to avoid stomach upset. Just add a quarter of the new food to their old food and gradually increase the number every few days.
FAQs About Dog Food For Picky Eaters
Every month we ask many questions from our readers, specifically about feeding picky eaters. Fortunately, we have our own experiences with picky eaters, so we thought we would preemptively answer some of the most popular questions we get from some of the regular visitors here on the site. Let’s jump in.
How do I know if my dog is a picky eater?
If your dog refuses to eat one dog food but would easily eat another without much fuss, it means your dog is a picky eater. Picky eaters don’t have a lower appetite; they want to eat better.
What flavors do dogs love?
The simple answer is that dogs love meat flavors because they are: meat eaters by nature. What kind of meat they like best can be very individual, but good flavors to test out are duck, lamb, beef, and salmon, as they all have a strong flavor to entice the delicate taste of a fussy eater.
Don’t forget to look for natural flavors (a good indicator is a meat listed as the first ingredient) rather than artificial supplements.
How should I introduce my picky eater to a new food?
The answer is prolonged! You have found a new food or diet, perhaps even from the suggestions mentioned above, that you want to try your picky eater puppy. That is amazing! However, the next transition process will be essential. Introduce the new food slowly into your dog’s diet by gradually mixing it with the old food over the next few weeks.
How long can a dog stay without food?
A healthy dog can go without food for two days. However, refusing to eat too often can have a serious impact on a dog’s health in the long run. It is better to see a vet if your dog has missed two meals in a row.
Do dogs get bored with one food?
Yes, it is quite possible that a dog is bored with the same type of food, especially if you have given them different types in the past. It is always a good idea to treat your dog occasionally with a different variety of wet and dry food.
A pet that refuses to eat can be daunting, but we hope you are encouraged by the many solutions that pet parents offer to get their dogs excited about food. Above you will find some of our favorite dog food and top brands to encourage you to check out. If you think an alternative diet is a route for you, talk to your vet about the best approach.
Don’t forget to introduce some variety into your picky dog’s diet: like we love dogs for mixing things up. And also, cut on those table scraps to keep your dog excited about the food in front of him.